Best New Development Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

statler

Reaction score
Nominate any building, development or infrastructure project that was completed and opened after Jan 1, 2008.

Please provide as much detail as possible about the project, such as links to any ArchBoston threads about the project and any official websites, etc.

List of nominees so far:

The Apple Store-815 Boylston St.
Battery Wharf
The Mandarin
FP3

Last edited:
Re: 2008 AB Award Nomination Thread - Best New Development

The Apple Store-815 Boylston St.

In my opinion, this is one of the best pieces of modern architecture Boston has ever seen. It didn't alienate the surroundings, as many critics feared, yet also keeps the boldness the Apple brand is known for.

Apple's Page

AB Thread

45 Province St

Living in New York I have seen my fare share of ugly contemporary pre-cast condo buildings going up. That is why I was so surprised to see this one going up where it did. It is tall, skiny, uses great materials, blends into the urban fabric while at the same time standing out (not an easy thing to do). A lot of care and good design work went into 45 Province and I think it should be commended. Yes, the large blank wall isn't so great but the building as a whole stand apart from much of the crap that has gone up in the last few years.

Thread

Battery Wharf

Quality materials. Diminuitive scale. traditional yet thoughtful design. Some of you will remember the comment I made about this project that sparked the whole AB Awards idea ("..it gets my nod for Best New Project of 2008"), and over half a year later my opinion hasn't changed. It's an instant classic.

It doesn't matter whether it's cold and grey out or warm and sunny -- this projects a looker.

^ Are there any shops?

ablarc, I remember you asking what's in the round two-story section, and all I can find for info is "a lounge with harbor views and 6,000 square feet of meeting space....It will also feature a restaurant designed in consultation with three-star Michelin chef Guy Martin."

So it doesn't look like it. Next time I'm doing my rounds I'll be sure to swing by here and see if any shops are going in on the Atlantic Ave. frontage (the only place I'd imagine where neighborhood retail would go).

Both Commercial Wharf and Long Wharf have ground floor retail, pleasantly low-key and sequestered, almost neglected. Atmospheric; what you hope you'll find in a place like that to satisfy your explorer instincts.

I agree Battery Wharf is commendable.

All great nominations so far. I would like to nominate the W hotel. Unique shape, perfect for the area, and good size. Where the Greenway has created a blackhole effect, I feel the W Hotel will do the opposite. In 10 years, I would expect to see the theatre district area really become a more exciting place due to the addition of the W.

Oh, and Black Fan gets a vote from me too.

Although small in scale, the FP3 project, particularly the infill portion, over in the Fort Point Channel gets my vote.

commuter guy said:
Although small in scale, the FP3 project, particularly the infill portion, over in the Fort Point Channel gets my vote.

Oooo, that's a good one. I still lean towards Battery Wharf, but FP3 definitely belongs up near the top of the list.

QUESTION: is this award for projects completed in the past year, or is it for anything that's made it past the proposal stage and into construction? I was under the assumption it had to be something completed and opened within calender year 2008, which would mean 45 Province and the W aren't eligible.

The Mandarin.

I neither love nor hate the architecture (certainly no worse than the much-ballyhooed Stern building on CPW). But it is the single best act of street-wall repair since we started destroying it after WWII, and for the forseeable future if Columbus Center continues on its present trajectory. All of a sudden Boylston has a shot at becoming a boulevard it should be.

justin

QUESTION: is this award for projects completed in the past year, or is it for anything that's made it past the proposal stage and into construction? I was under the assumption it had to be something completed and opened within calender year 2008, which would mean 45 Province and the W aren't eligible.

Your assumption is correct.
I toyed with the idea of changing the criteria to 'substantially complete' or even 'topped out'. Unfortunately, that would leave a pretty barren slate for '09 candidates. I think there were enough projects opened in '08 to leave off the W and 45 Province.

Is everyone OK with this?

BTW, what is the current status of 3FP?

I'm all for leaving out W and 45 Province, and doing only ones completed this year. There were definitely enough opened this year, and that means that next year we'd have projects such as W, 45 Province, Russia Wharf, The Clarendon, and a bunch of other small ones.

I second the Mandarin, for exactly the reason Justin gave.

I should point out that I actually don't have final say on this.
If Van and Briv decide that those projects should be included in the final voting they will be there.

single best act of street-wall repair since we started destroying it after WWII

Was there a street wall on that side of Boylston before? Wasn't it a rail yard? Maybe this is actually an act of street wall creation.

Does anyone have a photo of that stretch of Boylston at street level from back then? Was there an opaque wall separating the street from the yards, or just a fence or railing or what?

I've update my initial posting to include a list of nominees so far.
I've included FP3 because per this site the construction is complete. If someone knows differently, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back