Beth Israel West Campus Inpatient Building | 111 Francis St | Longwood

Taken 7/29/21
_JEN0776_low.jpg

Saw this in person for the first time this morning and I can't say I'm a fan. I thought the PwC building was as bad as a featureless glass cube could get, but this building and 105 W First St take bland glass cube architecture up a whole new level. Unlike PwC, this and 105 manage to occupy space without establishing any sort of presence. They're there but add so little to the scene that they might as well not be.

Saw this in person for the first time this morning and I can't say I'm a fan. I thought the PwC building was as bad as a featureless glass cube could get, but this building and 105 W First St take bland glass cube architecture up a whole new level. Unlike PwC, this and 105 manage to occupy space without establishing any sort of presence. They're there but add so little to the scene that they might as well not be.
It's a hospital wing tucked into Longwood, so I'll give it the benefit of a doubt. When designing a hospital wing in Longwood, cosmetics and street presence are (and should be) pretty low on the list of priorities for both client and designer. The same should not be said for an office block on a prominent parcel in the Seaport.

Up close I thought 105 W First St had some of the best cladding I have ever seen. I was mesmerized by that building, even with its squat proportions.

Well, look at the ornate neighbor to this building. Why bother getting too creative on the exterior when sooner or later they are going wedge another building in next door. What was once a showpiece is now infill.

They've just started the terra cotta on this, which is going to take up a good portion of the faceted wall and likely add another visual aspect to the exterior. Though it is such a typical terra cotta panel color... I think, given the constraints of the site, Payette did a good job. I commend any healthcare architect - that stuff isn't easy, and it takes a long time to see your work come to life.

Up close I thought 105 W First St had some of the best cladding I have ever seen. I was mesmerized by that building, even with its squat proportions.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll make it a point to look at it up close next time I'm in the area.

9/2 From Woburn, way off towards the right. I cannot help but think how well that cancelled Mission Hill tower would have capped this area from so many angles.

IMG_3139 by David Z, on Flickr

Besides the weird ground floor combo this facade looks really good. Look how vivid that facade is from miles away. Im liking the trend towards pleated windows started I believe with MT.

6/9 From Waltham. Longwood would really visually benefit with a couple more 300'+. I didn't even realize it was there at all until after Blackfan was built.

IMG_1754 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1755 by David Z, on Flickr

Back