Better use of waterfront - Southeast Expressway

Digital_Islandboy

Reaction score
It looks like Lynn is now taking a keen interest in rehabbing parts of their waterfront.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...pple-effect/KcVDaeRZfJjYapWBE0feMM/story.html

It's got me thinking. IF the Southeast Expressway could be reconfigured to have a calm boulevard, and luxury apartments along Dorchester Bay there instead of a massive highway. Perhaps apartments could be built above the highway? Perhaps something like a Revere Beach feel. It cannot be too tall though due to flight routes.

No amount of mass transit would be able to offset the clusterfuck that would create. Cities need some amount of highways to work, at least an American city like Boston.

Besides, with housing prices as high as they are a highway won't stop developers nor people from moving next to them. Dorchester Bay could use a total reimagining but the SE Expressway isn't going anywhere.

No amount of mass transit would be able to offset the clusterfuck that would create. Cities need some amount of highways to work, at least an American city like Boston.

Besides, with housing prices as high as they are a highway won't stop developers nor people from moving next to them. Dorchester Bay could use a total reimagining but the SE Expressway isn't going anywhere.

Look at the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway and what that did for the surrounding area. That area from South Station down to about Gallivan Boulevard that could be some stellar upscale beachfront property.

Last edited:
Look at the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway and what that did for the surrounding area. That area from South Station down to about Gallivan Boulevard that could be some stellar upscale beachfront property.

The RKG exists because the sunk the highway underground. Where are you putting the SEExpressway?

And... not to be a nit... but this should be in "Design a Better Boston"

It's too bad that the road is anything but. Whatever happened to the days of well-dressed swagger and long Sunday drives in the toy sports car? Man, let's go back to that. The automobile is no good if all you do with it is get stuck in commuting traffic to and from home five days a week and never get to have any fun with your $30000 investment. Where's the romance in rush hour? It's a shame! A crying shame! A shame, I say!

Ahem. Anyway...

I agree with van and BussesAin'tTrains in that the sense that the Southeast Expressway and all of its traffic isn't going anywhere. That "all" is an important qualifier because while we do need the road, and we do need it in its current freeway form, we don't need eight general-purpose traffic lanes and zero shoulders through scenic Dorchester: a lot of that godforsaken road's problem is the lack of anywhere to put vehicles in case of an emergency which means that the slightest problems are exacerbated and any breakdown paralyzes the entire road. The zipper lane is a piece of garbage too, the crowning cherry atop a shit sundae of a bad, bad road.

What actually needs to happen is that it needs to be reconfigured. It doesn't need eight lanes and it doesn't need to be widened - what it needs is shoulders and a host of other legitimate safety improvements and you can easily accommodate those in the current profile if you execute a lane drop to six lanes through Dorchester. (I'd want to see a study done to figure out exactly how much mitigation would need to happen if you widened the road by 20' instead of dropping the lane just to prove that it's untenable to anyone who claims "just widen the road!" - 20 feet gets you half-width breakdown lanes and an eight-foot median without a lane drop, but I imagine you're taking something on the order of a hundred properties to get that twenty feet.)

In fact, I'd expect a study to reveal that average throughput on the freeway goes up with a lane drop and shoulders, even as maximum throughput goes down, because the road becomes much more capable of handling adversity.

By the same token, if you wanted to adopt the surface freeway approach that the Greenway took, you're going to end up with... a six lane boulevard and a linear park median, that slowed down traffic, but still took up the same amount of space as a reconstructed freeway would have. No net gain there.

The important thing that shouldn't be forgotten in any Expressway reconstruction, however, is the extremely fragile rail line(s) that run alongside it. I would want any comprehensive overhaul of the road to take a long hard look at the Red Lines and the Old Colony Line and ask if there's really, truly no way to bring the Old Colony up from single track to an unbroken three between South Station and JFK and an unbroken two until south of Braintree.

In fact, I'd expect a study to reveal that average throughput on the freeway goes up with a lane drop and shoulders, even as maximum throughput goes down, because the road becomes much more capable of handling adversity.

You build shoulders you just know they are going to be full of traffic at rush hour.

By the same token, if you wanted to adopt the surface freeway approach that the Greenway took, you're going to end up with... a six lane boulevard and a linear park median, that slowed down traffic, but still took up the same amount of space as a reconstructed freeway would have. No net gain there.

So... Morrissey Blvd?

I'm not sure what you can really do with the SE Expressway (totally wanted to write SEX there, too). It was only ever supposed to be part of a larger system of expressways but we all know what happened to the Southwest Expressway. Anything you do to add capacity will only increase traffic. It's not like much of it is being distributed equally; most is headed downtown or north of the city. And the worst part is pretty soon the structural elements are going to be past their designed lifespans. All you can really do is patch up parts, expand where you can for purely safety reasons and invest more in mass transit. Maybe eliminating a few exits through Dorchester to speed things up? Like I said above you have Morrissey Blvd there which could easily support any local traffic effected by exit closures.

IDK, there are no good answers really.

Batshit crazy idea to "solve" Savin Hill crunch: route I-93 NB over present Morrissey Blvd, rejoining somewhere near the Globe Site.

You build shoulders you just know they are going to be full of traffic at rush hour.

That's the point of making them half-width or 2/3rd width - they're just wide enough to safely park/pull over your car (or for Johnny Legal to wait in to grab errant lawbreakers) in the event of an emergency but not really wide enough to safely use as a travel lane.

Furthermore, because it's a rather expensive ticket if you get busted for illegal shoulder travel, I would expect that for the most part the types inclined to risk personal safety in a 6' or 8' lane that dumps into nothingness on the side of a busy freeway would cut it out after the first or second or third time they or someone they knew became "another paying customer" of your Massachusetts State Highway Patrol.

(This is probably why for the most part the parts of 128 that have been lane expanded now are seeing their breakdown lanes respected in the portions of the road where the add-a-lane is in place, and very few lawbreakers are driving in them.)

Easy to monitor shoulder drivers with cameras triggered by weight, if we wanted to. Just strap a cheap smartphone to a solar panel and use the headphone jack to interface with the sensor and that's pretty much all you need...

an added dedicated lane that extends from the neponset on ramp to the Freeport off ramp would probably do wonders for about the mile or so that it is. This is probably next to impossible without replacing the bridge. Short of this would it feasible to do a forced merge to 3 lanes before the on ramp? (Similar to 95N in Weston). The situation there made sense - somewhere around 25-33% of traffic exited prior to the on ramp - which I can't imagine in the case here but it should force enough of a constraint prior to neponset to free up everything inside and encourage more cars to divert to red line / CR coming from farther away

The zipper lane does more harm than good. The commute into the city is brutal at night. It's time to shut it down. A radical idea would be to flip it the peak side and make it a toll lane.

Any benefit to adding red line infill stations?

Congestion pricing tolls -> dropping fares on under-filled CR trains -> adding capacity via S.S. expansion once those fill.

What actually needs to happen is that it needs to be reconfigured. It doesn't need eight lanes and it doesn't need to be widened - what it needs is shoulders and a host of other legitimate safety improvements and you can easily accommodate those in the current profile if you execute a lane drop to six lanes through Dorchester. (I'd want to see a study done to figure out exactly how much mitigation would need to happen if you widened the road by 20' instead of dropping the lane just to prove that it's untenable to anyone who claims "just widen the road!" - 20 feet gets you half-width breakdown lanes and an eight-foot median without a lane drop, but I imagine you're taking something on the order of a hundred properties to get that twenty feet.)

Absolutely. Though I would argue it does need 8 lanes because of 128 having 8 at Braintree and Reading, 93 north of the Somerville decks having 8, the Pike between Newton and Copley having 8, and the reconfig of Route 3 on final approach to revamped Braintree split likely getting 8 back to Union St. so all the frontage road action and the lane splits/merges at the interchange stay constant-number. That's a big part of the clog...lack of gradual-enough lane drops/pickups to sort all the converging 93/37/Burgin/Furnace Brook/Union/Red Line traffic in that 2.5 mile span.

8 does seem to be the standard for inside-128 and on the final approaches to 128. And north to NH as well (they are planning to fix the Andover-495 pinch + breakdown travel on 93 with an add-a-lane because the carriageways and most bridges are wide enough, and are actively fixing the short Newburyport pinch on 95 with bridge state-of-repair renewal). I wouldn't mess with that since it seems to be working at the interchanges that aren't 50's relics overdue for redesign or at the intersection points of canceled highways.

What fucked it all up on the Expressway was taking the breakdown lanes for the Zipper. That's the great lesson from the 128 reconstruction. Wide, full interstate-standard left + right shoulders absorb disruption so well that flow is optimal and doesn't get hosed by accidents. Really, except for the mangled old interchanges that have to wait in line for megabucks funding--Braintree, Canton, Burlington (not even Weston so much...that's a bigger problem on the Pike than it is 128)--the highway's a really painless drive nowadays despite carrying extremely higher loads post- Big Dig. Not even the Needham pinch still awaiting the final add-a-lane phase is all that bad anymore after the 24-to-109 lane opened. Buffer space and elimination of the breakdown lane travel was that big an improvement. I've found even in low-traffic hours that if there's so much as small debris bouncing around the highway that the confidence the left- + right-lane can swerve a couple feet into the shoulders and make swerving room for the middle 2 lanes to adjust in tandem makes all the difference in the world. You can't swerve on any of lane of the Expressway when there's zero shoulder...you can only slam brakes and wait for an opening, or slam braces and brace yourself for the debris hit. The accident rate and flow correction is so much better on 128, and so much scarier on the Expressway.

What I would do is widen the left + right shoulders on the Expressway to full 128 width and just abolish the zipper. Few feet's widening only on the handful or portions that do have a right breakdown lane and just need help with the left-shoulder width, and some necessary widenings of bridges, etc. elsewhere where both sides are pinched. And you still will have to do the expensive Savin Hill fix with the T tracks. If 128 can handle the loads at full interstate standards, pretty dense exit spacing, and no HOV lanes...the Expressway can do the same. The addition of the HOV did more harm than good, and I'm convinced all these conceptual plans to extend the zipper to Southampton are going to do more harm than good.

The state will never ever ever give up on the HOV experiment, even though abolishing the zipper wouldn't be any real capacity reduction per se. It's just ingrained conventional wisdom that HOV's do...something!...even against the mountain of data that says they have negligible effect on traffic management, increase induced demand, get little compliance (I remember when the I-84 and I-91 HOV's first opened in CT with 3-person occupancy requirements, and were so empty ConnDOT had to lower the limit to 2 to save face), and actually make things worse in constrained situations like the SE Expressway and the Somerville lower deck. It's too much in their DNA.

But that would literally solve it with no capacity loss. The Expressway's problems are 60% structural, 40% artificial.

The important thing that shouldn't be forgotten in any Expressway reconstruction, however, is the extremely fragile rail line(s) that run alongside it. I would want any comprehensive overhaul of the road to take a long hard look at the Red Lines and the Old Colony Line and ask if there's really, truly no way to bring the Old Colony up from single track to an unbroken three between South Station and JFK and an unbroken two until south of Braintree.
The conceptual plans from the MPO suck because they are hellbent on extending that broken zipper lane to Southampton and force the Old Colony to get tunneled for a short stretch at the narrowest point. Which is a humongous waste of funds because RR tunnels have to have much lesser grades on the inclines, diesel exhaust ventilation the closer a tunnel gets to/above a half-mile, and much higher clearances future-proofed for overhead electrification and increasing freight clearances. There's no active freight here today because CSX combines its Port of Quincy pickups in Braintree with its overnight local from Framingham-Attleboro-Middleboro, but there's rumors they may dump the OC south of Braintree to the Mass Coastal shortline that they dished off the South Coast branches to. In which case their overnight pickup route switches to Readville-Braintree and back. This is also the stretch of track that connects Port of Quincy and Port of Southie, so it's reasonable assumption that by 50 years now there's going to be some serious tonnage of port freight coming up from Quincy and heading out to Readville, Framingham, and Worcester lashed up to the Southie pickups.

It's much easier to swing if you do this:

-- Compact Columbia Jct. It's got all that absurd complexity of flyover ramps because the assumption in 1960 when the Braintree Branch was in design was that state's RR network would go completely extinct except for the NEC, B&A, Lowell, and outer Haverhill Lines. So the branch was designed as an outright commuter rail replacement that could go to Brockton, Weymouth, etc. using higher-speed subway rolling stock. That could blast from Andrew to North Quincy at 80 MPH or something (Columbia/JFK wasn't a Braintee stop until '88). Sort of like "HSHRT". Hence the crazy, space-intensive flyovers.

A simple 1<-->2 track split + yard turnout achieves all the grade separation a conventional subway line would need at one-third the sprawl.

Old Colony takes 1 more track in all the freed-up space, 93 takes more on the other side. JFK's commuter rail platform is 12 feet wide per the T's full-high island platform standard spec...that was designed from Day 1 to take kiss-and-ride space to drop down a second track and hook an overhead walkway to the Red fare lobby with little other modification to the station except grafting that CR platform elevator/escalator into to the existing Red overhead walk and maybe doing a divider wall so the CR riders bypass the Charlie gates segregated from Red riders (no extra opportunities for fare evasion). They could arguably do that right this second and create a passing opportunity for a few more slots. Would take DCR's approval to narrow the Old Colony Ave. ramps or flip the sidewalk to the other side if that passing siding were to extend north at all instead of merging right back at slow speed after the platform (that whole parkway warcrime interchange should be nuked from orbit anyway)...but you can do the platform-proper 2nd track right now.

-- (with above) Reconfigure the tracks into JFK so it's 2x2 inbound/outbound at the island platforms instead of 2x2 Ashmont/Braintree. Another space-inefficient relic of the obsolete "HSHRT" plan that got cemented when the Braintree platforms got grafted on 26 years ago.

-- Narrower-profile flyover bridges south of the station since the 2x2 reconfig at Columbia now means only 1 track from 1 branch has to switch sides mid-air with the rest of the sorting happening at-grade. Again...that current flyover is so space-intensive because of 1960's Braintree "HSHRT" that's no longer needed because the commuter rail network survived extinction and came back to serve that mid-distance niche.

-- Braintree-under-Ashmont tunnel. Braintree tunnel slides under the OC tracks at the station to structurally steer clear and position itself to spit out on the correct track side after 93 pulls away.

-- Portal-up the second 93 peels out. Shift the current Ashmont and current Braintree tracks over 3-4 feet on each end of the ROW to create center room for the 2nd OC track out to Clayton St. split, and add 1 more deck berth to the Freeport St. and Park St. overpasses (Freeport might actually have the room for it now if that little gap of daylight between the Ashmont tracks and the OC track were filled in with an extra deck girder).

I did a little MS Paint-quality diagram of the gist of it last year on RR.net showing how the lines would split (JFK end only...underneath Savin Hill to the south portal and Clayton St. is pretty easy to visualize). Tracks on surface are depicted, tracks underground hidden with subway outline...so those Ashmont tracks ride on top of the literal roof of the new Braintree/Savin Hill tunnel. Like...right on top of the bare load-bearing roof concrete; that's how shallow a dig this is.

Crossover locations not-to-scale, but you get the idea. This gives the OC double-track from Southampton to the Wollaston pinch thanks to the mass simplification of Columbia Jct. and the Savin Hill tunneling.

This also has the advantage of combining the electrical feeds and signaling cables for both branches above and below that subway's roof. When the Braintree branch was constructed the whole 1-3/4 miles from the first track splitting at Columbia to Clayton St. got 100% duplicate feeder infrastructure so they didn't have to touch Ashmont at all during construction. This makes the Red Line a hell of a lot more efficient, reliable, and less maintenance-intensive to consolidate that much from Columbia to where 2 branches run above/below the same roof.

file.php

All of this gets messed if MassHighway does the stupid zipper-extension plan and has to start overpassing the OC tracks to carve out still more induced demand space on the highway. Double the cost because of the difficulty of burying a stretch of RR vs. stretch of Red Line, and the MPO renderings don't even make sense and were probably never vetted by a real transit engineer.

So...you want commuter rail fixed sooner than later, keep it simple stupid (MassDOT). And perhaps get yourselves whacked upside the head with reams of data underscoring how little HOV capacity truly matters and how much regulation interstate design standards do.

Last edited:
While you're at it. It's been my understanding that the extra track on the Old Colony line would allow the Southcoast line to be a continuation of the Middleboro line. Which in all reports was by far the least expensive option. The problem was the bottleneck in Dorchester. The current layout could support either Fall River or New Bedford, but not both on the Middleboro line.

Yes, I'm biased, but this would put all cities south of Boston on a single CR line allowing intercity travel. (Quincy -> Brockton -> Taunton -> Fall River/New Bedford.)

While you're at it. It's been my understanding that the extra track on the Old Colony line would allow the Southcoast line to be a continuation of the Middleboro line. Which in all reports was by far the least expensive option. The problem was the bottleneck in Dorchester. The current layout could support either Fall River or New Bedford, but not both on the Middleboro line.

Yes, I'm biased, but this would put all cities south of Boston on a single CR line allowing intercity travel. (Quincy -> Brockton -> Taunton -> Fall River/New Bedford.)

Not just Dorchester. Quincy. Go scroll down with Google Maps south of North Quincy Station. Quincy is going to be more disruptive to abutters than Dorchester, more temporarily disruptive to Red Line service, and possibly more expensive overall.

1) Wollaston pinch. How do you solve that without nuke/rebuild on Wollaston station?

2) Nuke/rebuild Beale St. overpass.

3) Adams St. bridge. You have to cut Bridge St. to a dead-end where it wraps around to Adams, then nuke/rebuild the overpass.

4) Quincy Ctr. station.
-- Nuke/rebuild the Dimmock St. overpass.
-- Underpin the entire front sidewalk of the station and hollow it out underneath in order to make an island commuter rail platform.
-- Eliminate the Red Line turnback track after the station, shift RL outbound, claim that space for CR inbound, claim existing CR for outbound.

5) Blow up the air rights garage just south of the station.

6) Nuke/rebuild Granite St., Hannon Pkwy., School St., Water St. overpasses.

7) Land-taking and complete rebuild of the rear Red-side retaining wall that runs from the air rights garage to School St. In the ancient, pre-RL days there used to be a freight siding that climbed the wall near School and ran the length of these blocks. All of that has since reverted to private property and rear driveways.
-- Note: rear driveway for the Ross Way garage has to either get dead-ended or reduced to a one-way.

8) Strip of land-taking + new retaining wall from residential abutters School St.-Water St.

9) More rear alley land-taking + new retaining wall from industrial properties along Federal St.

10) Shift entire RL inbound track over from #5-#9 onto new space, outbound becomes new inbound, RL inbound becomes new OC outbound.

11) Rebuild the narrow OC-under-Red underpass south of Quincy Adams where the tracks switch sides.

12) Nuke-and-rebuild 93 on-ramp*, Washington St.* overpass.

13) Strip of land-taking behind residential property + retaining wall constructions, Washington to Elm St. Shift tracks as in #10.

14) Cut Service Rd. under the Elm St. bridge at the last driveways on each side, tie Elm Terrace into the Elm/Church intersection. Re-route the Greenbush Line north wye leg onto the Service Rd. roadbed to create shifting room under the bridge, tie it in just north of the bridge.

15) Nuke/rebuild Route 3 overpass*. Reconfigure freight yard to DT.

*items possibly taken care of by MassHighway for the Braintree split reconfiguration + add'l accel/decel lanes on Route 3 to the split

Now...also throw in the Quincy Shipyard freight factor and fact that all infrastructure you've touched here has a 75-year rated lifespan that has to game out future freight probabilities. As long as you're messing with the railbed in the cut and all those underpasses you'll be digging the CR trackbed a couple feet lower for future-proofing. Not double-stack tall because that's impossible...but probably enough for 17 ft. tall freight cars under electrification (i.e. Lowell Line clearances + the electrification padding). And leaving space at your hollowed-out QC station platform expansion for a future gauntlet track installation to get around the full-high platform should high-and-wide clearances ever be needed.

The other areas--behind the Newport Ave. retaining wall, between Adams St. and Dimmock St., underneath Quincy Adams stations, and the Braintree freight yard--are easy ones with room to spread out.

Now...what's the price tag likely to be for this? The community engagement? The number of Red Line and commuter rail shutdowns over X many years?

My guess that SCR...which didn't document very well what had to be done...tallied it up and that's why this was so instantaneously rejected. Quincy is harder than Dorchester. And while Dorchester is unavoidable, as long as you can find a way to do island platform at QC it's probably good enough to leave the 1-mile Wollaston-QC single-track gap, and a 1.5 mile QC-Route 3 gap then just take care of the Greenbush split to Braintree Yard infill so the traffic sorting is a little more precise and the midday Quincy Shipyard-to-Braintree Yard freight doesn't cause a dip in off-peak Middleboro and Plymouth headways for the hour or so it's puttering around.

Closing the gaps through Dorchester pretty much gives you all the flex you need to run 3 branches and robust Cape service for the next 25 years. Indigo is not needed to 128 because of the Red Line, nor is there a need to poke it out on the Greenbush or Plymouth lines for the sake of Weymouth with the Quincy Ctr. bus hub being pretty robust and upwardly scalable. I could see some frequent Brockton-turning service being well-utilized all day because of the BAT bus hub and the 2 downtown Randolph routes out of Holbrook/Randolph. What Dorchester mostly accomplishes is taking the cap off the off-peak schedules.

I don't see how this could ever handle 5 branches. Even SCR has Quincy Ctr. being tri-tracked (don't ask me how that's even structurally possible) for the loads, and if the broken Stoughton plan was any indication there's probably would've been a lot of equally nasty surprises in the fine print on what headways were truly attainable on this route. Stoughton is clearly the superior of the 3. The problem is they cut double-tracking in precisely the wrong place and broke it...then buried the evidence about how badly it crippled the service in the fine print and did an obfuscation campaign so nobody focused on that.

At that point it'd probably be cheaper to deep-bore the Red Line and get triple track through Quincy :rolleyes:

You'd be better of spending the money getting the NEC at 4 tracks (or bury the Orange Line and get 5 to Forest Hills) to 128. If you unbreak the SCR double tracking, you can probably get everything Middleborough south on NEC expresses through Taunton.

At that point it'd probably be cheaper to deep-bore the Red Line and get triple track through Quincy :rolleyes:

Yeah. I think East Braintree Jct.-Braintree Yard will happen without the T having to try all that hard because of all the bridge rebuilds MassHighway will do for the great Braintree Split de-clusterfuckifying project. And I think the island platform turnout and street-level underpinning at QC is the high-pain/high-gain expensive project worth attempting because that's the one that packs the schedule tightest (the JFK island would help too, but only for a small number of slots where a Middleboro or Plymouth is in realistic position to overtake a JFK-stopping Greenbush).

But beyond that if you just get contiguous DT through Dorchester the 3 branches can live just fine with 3 miles of single. Just don't get sidetracked by any OCD ideas of Indigo'ing out here and it works fine as a conventional CR main with enough loosened capacity to support a more robust off-peak where it's needed most (i.e. Brockton).

You'd be better of spending the money getting the NEC at 4 tracks (or bury the Orange Line and get 5 to Forest Hills) to 128. If you unbreak the SCR double tracking, you can probably get everything Middleborough south on NEC expresses through Taunton.
No way on quint-track. Orange is never coming to Readville because Amtrak needs Track 4 past Forest Hills in the next 12 years and the cut can't be widened without making a royal mess of the abutting street grid. They missed their chance at that all those years pre-1990's when Amtrak was operating under-capacity to Boston. MBTA was a co-signer to the NEC Infrastructure Improvements Master Plan and that 4th track infill to Readville Jct., so it's Needham Line only now for any Orange extensions.

Readville-Canton Jct. is only specced in the NEC Improvements for tri-track with the empty berth of the (outbound-side) island at 128 station filled in with the extra track. The T can help itself here, but because the South Coast Task Force is operating ass-backwards from the branches north there's virtually nothing addressing the NEC. They just did that skip-stop scorched earth. It doesn't need to happen that way.

-- 128 station has this much room on the easterly side. Enough for a track turnout and making the current inbound platform into an island for 4 total tracks. Possibly even a second side platform for 5 total platform tracks. That's enough to have all SCR trains stop here instead of skipping and to bring the Fairmount line down here to terminate. The turnouts fan wide right before the 128 overpass then condense back into 3 mainline tracks a little bit south around the same place where the industrial park freight turnouts are.

-- Canton Jct. Note the funky platform layout where inbound Stoughton and outbound NEC overstretch the junction and foul movements from the other 2 directions. Zilch said about what the T actually plans to do here, but this is a very simple fix. Just start all 4 platforms at the station house and tip of the island and drag them downwind towards Revere St. (Stoughton side) and end of the parking lots (NEC side). That frees up the space under Spaulding St. for a quad-track junction. You can even do the NEC platforms as tri-track with middle passing track by claiming one row of parking coming and shifting the platform back to create the 3-track turnout north off Canton Viaduct.

-- Canton Center. It is less than a half-mile from CJ. No one has breached the subject of consolidating this station in exchange for 1) making all SCR and all Providence local trains stop at CJ, and 2) ped improvements from downtown. Canton is going to get its service levels decimated by the SCR skip-stop plan, and CJ isn't on all Providence schedules. They would get better service if CJ became the one-stop locus. There's an old abandoned freight siding along Revere St. going to the derelict Plymouth Rubber Co. that should get trailed up for access to one side of downtown. Then I'd maybe consider sticking a side trail along the ROW from Canton Center to Revere St. for ped access from the other side of downtown. Town of Canton won't be happy with this, but they'll be way waaaaaaay unhappier when they see the full extent that SCR harms their service. So it's going to be necessary one way or the other to bargain with them. Much-enhanced CJ frequencies from both sides of the split and a package of ped and TOD improvements as pot-sweetener can probably mollify them. They know they're not big enough by their lonesome to roadblock SCR and stop it dead, so compromise will be inevitable and this is a mutually beneficial compromise.

That probably solves all the problems even if an EIS of quad-track between Readville and 128 and between 128 and CJ are impossible because of the wetlands. Improve the station capacity, not the ROW (beyond the third track they already know they can fit through the wetlands). Unfortunately the way the NEC Improvements Plan is structured the track work is an Amtrak primary responsibility and the non-Amtrak station work is a local transit authority responsibility. So because of that 128 station is pre-provisioned (and has been ever since the new station was built) for only the 3rd platform Amtrak needs, and commuter rail-only CJ is a giant unanswered question mark. They just let the DEIR for SCR skip every NEC station instead of feigning slightest attempt at making traffic co-exist. Of all the things to cheap out of 128 and Canton Jct. are the absolute silliest. But...ass-backwards is how they're going. The Task Force doesn't give a shit that the Stoughton main is broken by the single-track cutbacks. They definitely don't care about the outright transit loss on the schedule in Stoughton and Canton. And they don't care that no one will ever be able to reverse-commute from 128 on those lines.

Last edited:

Back