Biblioteca Parque Espa?a (Santo Domingo Library)

statler

Reaction score
Beton Brut on Sea Ranch in the 1960's thread:
The plan of the buildings reflects a keen awareness of the area's ecology and topography, filtered through the concept of "the captured landscape," a concept taken from traditional Chinese landscape painting (i.e. the line of the roofs mirrors the distant hills).

Would this be an overly literal interpretation of that idea?
1560452817_biblioteca-espana-9.JPG

101416346_biblioteca-espana-2.JPG

1858397382_biblioteca_santo_domingo_mazzanti-5.JPG

Biblioteca Parque Espa?a (Sorry, I couldn't find an English page)

Nice find statler -- wish I remembered my elementary school Spanish. This is certainly new organic architecture, but a more literal interpretation of what MLTW was on to at Sea Ranch.

Actually Mazzanti's project does a few things at the same time. There's a bit of Corbu at Ronchamp, (siting, sculptural qualities, random windows) informed by Koolhaas (the whittled cube) and Herzon & de Meuron (forms and materials). I'll bet Mazzanti's a fan of Antoine Predock as well. Form and materials capture the nature of the site and attempt to be part of it. I wonder what the locals think of their library.

There's another way that architects can capture the landscape and draw it into their projects. This internalizes the view, and makes it part of the experience of the building, rather than mimicking landscape forms. This effect is frequently achieved using water and structure as framing devices for the view.

The spirit of this concept is Fallingwater. Wright "forced" the Kaufmanns to "live" with the waterfall, thrusting the home's tray-like balconies over it, and piercing the floor down to the surface of the stream. Wright's student Alden Dow did something similar at his own masterful home in Midland, Michigan, placing a study "in" a pond, so the bottoms of the windows are at eye-level from the interior, but touch the surface of the pond from the exterior. The quality of light in the room is pretty cool.

John Lautner is rightfully known for using water as a device to capture and frame views. The Arango House in Acapulco is the signature example.

Last edited:

Back