Big Burb projects

whighlander

Reaction score
The burbs are begining to activate again

from the New England Journal of Real Estate -- found accidentally on a google search

Retail is re-emerging in Metro West with the long anticipated 500,000 s/f complex - The Point

Littleton, MA The American Revolution started here, when minutemen gathered in Littleton's town common and marched to Concord to confront the British. Now there's a retail revolution underway here, in the heart of Boston's Metro West, as the area continues to attract leading edge businesses to I-495. To meet the demand, a long-anticipated shopping and hospitality complex is now under development. The site will include shops, restaurants, office suites and a proposed hotel and conference center. The new center, named "The Point," will also serve as a much-needed hub for employees of high-tech companies like IBM, Cognos and other large campuses located along the emerging I-495 "Think Belt."

The Point is currently under construction on a highly visible site overlooking the intersection of I-495, just north of Rte. 2. According to Peter Kutrubes, president of Land Strategies, there are a lot of reasons people are attracted to the area. Great demographics, convenient access and high-tech jobs have made this area one of the fastest growing areas in New England. Recognizing the positive impact this project will have on the local economy, the State of Massachusetts has awarded the town a $2.5 Million

55697_POM-Final_opt1.jpg

Sam Park, president and CEO of Sam Park and Company, the project developer. The Point will reflect that rich heritage, says Park, but also the innovative spirit of the leading edge firms along the Think Belt. The Boston-based development firm specializes in mixed-use spaces, and the multi-tiered design of the site imagines The Point as much more than a shopping center. "This will be an interactive space where the innovation community can engage with the residential community in fun and inspiring ways," said Park. "There's tremendous appetite in the area for a place to get offline and shop, meet for lunch or dinner with colleagues, and create family-oriented experiences."

The mixed-use site will feature 500,000 s/f of office, hotel and retail space, including restaurants and entertainment, with great visibility and easy access from I-495 and Rtes. 2, 119 and 110. A proposed hotel and conference center would serve a growing demand for rooms and meeting spaces, as nearby technology firms like IBM's cutting edge Mass Lab, which fronts the new complex, draws international visitors to their Metro West campuses.

The demographics are surprisingly strong, with several underserved towns and a constellation of high-tech enterprise campuses, all within minutes of the site. "When you look at the numbers the opportunity is clear," said John Phelan, president of JP Retail, Inc. "The local community has waited a long time for something like this."
55697_POM-aerial_opt1.jpg

Wonder how close it is located to the Fitchburg CR Station

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure there'll just be throngs of people hanging out in parking lot.

Good luck, Littleton.

Yeah, I'm sure there'll just be throngs of people hanging out in parking lot.

Good luck, Littleton.

Littleton is a highly suburban/rural town of less than 9,000 people. There's never throngs hanging out anywhere in Littleton. Town center is a nice little hamlet but it's firmly suburban. This development is totally appropriate for a town that's right on the edge of Boston's northwestern 'burbs. "Heart of Metro-West" it is not.

^^ Thats what I thought, I mean the name Littleton already gives the impression that its small and the 524 sq mile density confirms it. I'd say the heart is Newton or maybe Framingham.

I think its Natick in terms of geographic population center

Yeah, I always considered Metro-West to be more in the Framingham direction. Littleton, Groton, Boxborough and the other Northwest 495 suburbs are closer to being Lowell suburbs than Boston ones. Just on the outskirts of what can be considered "Metro-Boston" (I-495).

The whole IBM move up to Littleton has been a joke. People were not happy having to make the extra drive so they gave people the option of working from home. The offices were pretty empty since so many people opted to work from home 2-4 days/week. The brass came up from NY on a visit, saw how quiet and empty it felt, and told managers to make their employees come into the office more.

The whole IBM move up to Littleton has been a joke. People were not happy having to make the extra drive so they gave people the option of working from home. The offices were pretty empty since so many people opted to work from home 2-4 days/week. The brass came up from NY on a visit, saw how quiet and empty it felt, and told managers to make their employees come into the office more.

:)

I'm working at the IBM Littleton office this summer. IBM does encourage flexible schedules ex. work 10 hours 4 days, take Friday off, work at home, etc. It's a great office to work in if you're in your 40s and are living in the burbs with your kids.

Hopefully when I get my first full-time job next year I will be working in Boston or Cambridge :) although I'm still flirting with the idea of being in NYC

Boston Globe - June 24, 2012
Demolition begins, bigger plans afoot for Polaroid site
By Scott Van Voorhis
Globe Correspondent / June 24, 2012
Developer Sam Park is huddling with state and Waltham officials on how to revamp local roadways to make way for a giant second phase of his redevelopment of the old Polaroid campus alongside Route 128.

The Boston-based developer is wrapping up the demolition of some of the remaining Polaroid buildings on the 120-acre property, and preparing to start construction next spring on the first phase of 280,000 square feet of offices, retail space, and restaurants.

Now Park says he is exploring plans to add another million square feet of office, retail, and possibly hotel space to the site, which he bought for $40 million in 2010.

But in order for his plans to work and win city and state approval, Park must first come up with a plan to divert the throngs of extra traffic his project would likely dump on a number of already clogged residential streets in Waltham.

“We are eager to move forward,” said Park, chief executive of Sam Park & Co., in an interview last week. “We didn’t acquire the property with the sole purpose of just building 280,000 square feet.”

In a first step, Park recently met with city and state officials in the Boston office of Victoria Maguire, the permit ombudsman in the state’s Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development.

While no detailed roadway plans were hammered out during the gathering, she said, the idea was to start the planning process.

One basic requirement is that the project’s second phase should not dump additional traffic onto Stow Street and Tavern Square, according to Park.

However, Park said, the aim will not simply be to deal with the extra traffic his project will generate, but also the ongoing problem of commuters cutting through Waltham streets to get between routes 117 and 128.

Waltham Mayor Jeannette McCarthy also made clear that any proposal would have to ensure cars and trucks are diverted from the residential streets near Polaroid.

McCarthy insisted it is too early in the process to discuss various options.

“I want to keep the traffic up on 128 and out of the neighborhoods,” she said in an interview last week.

Park agreed, though he ventured to say that ideas discussed in the past, such as flyover ramps and bridges, may not be realistic.

The goal is to make it easier to get from Route 117 to routes 20 and 128 without cutting through local neighborhoods.

“Prior schemes look at very costly structures,” Park said. “The solution needs to be realistic in terms of frontage roads and slip ramps from 117 to 20.”

Park said he anticipates it will take at least a year to come up with a traffic mitigation plan that can pass muster with city and state officials.

As for details on the big second phase of the project, Park said he is looking at another mix of office and retail space, possibly with a hotel or two.

Meanwhile, work on the project’s first phase is pushing ahead, with demolition and utility work currently the focus of construction crews.

While there has been steady interest on the part of retailers in the first phase, no deals are ready to be announced, Park said.

The first phase was kept deliberately small, he said, in order to buy time to work out the much more extensive roadway plan needed for the much larger second phase.

“It is very small compared to other 128 projects,” he said.

Meanwhile, state economic development officials are closely watching progress on Park’s project, considered a major addition to the Route 128 corridor.

“It absolutely has the potential to be very significant in terms of economic development and job creation,” Maguire said.

Scott Van Voorhis can be reached at sbvanvoorhis@hotmail.com.

1. TL;DR - NIMBYS: "I want to live in an auto-centric environment but don't want to have to deal with the consequences of that decision."

2. How long has Scottie been writing for the Globe?

:)

I'm working at the IBM Littleton office this summer. IBM does encourage flexible schedules ex. work 10 hours 4 days, take Friday off, work at home, etc. It's a great office to work in if you're in your 40s and are living in the burbs with your kids.

Hopefully when I get my first full-time job next year I will be working in Boston or Cambridge :) although I'm still flirting with the idea of being in NYC

Between, IBM, Cisco and Intel there are 6,000 plus very well paid, well schooled, engineering and technical workers withing a few exits on I-495 of this complex

Boston Globe - June 24, 2012

1. TL;DR - NIMBYS: "I want to live in an auto-centric environment but don't want to have to deal with the consequences of that decision."

2. How long has Scottie been writing for the Globe?

Fascinating -- When Polaroid was there - -the site had order of 1,000 employees all of whom proabably drove through the neighborhood -- I guess the neighbors just got used to the quiet after Polaroid folded

I live in Westford and this project is literally in my backyard (right on the border). Used to sled in the winter where they are building this. I'm pretty sure it is already under construction i've been hearing a lot of noise lately.

Theres been a lot of construction in Littleton and Westford along 495/110 lately-big lifestyle center going up at four corners in Westford too.

Back