Biking in Boston

Remedial Life Skills 101; Progression occurs in the direction of the movement.

As has been shown in this thread, you are the only one having trouble with that.......For the sake of innocent lives, please don't drive.

But if you someday do, you will see things like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sto...4eLfAhVOJt8KHUa0Bm8Q_AUIDigB&biw=1517&bih=730

and this:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...-img.......0i7i30j0i8i7i30j0i8i30.x92P4tN3tJc

You're welcome.

You are completely missing the point.

Those standards were developed for 10 foot high text to be read by traffic moving at 60mph.

So you really only see one word at a time.

LANE

ENDS

MERGE

RIGHT

In lower speed areas, the same intention applies because stopped traffic can be blocking some of the signage so you again see it in the order of movement.

But it makes zero sense on bike facilities with 3 foot high text set up like a book when you can see the entire phrase at once, and where bikes do not block text.

There is no point in applying highway standards to a bike facility. Bikes are not trucks.

And it literally says Yield to Peds. Cyclists are entitled. So why can’t cyclists stay in bike lane vs full traffic lane? Same argument you are making.

Some cyclists are entitled. See my previous post. So are drivers and peds. Nobody follows the rules in Boston and nobody enforces them; the result is rudeness, inconsiderate behavior and chaos to an extreme. That's not a hyperbole, I've lived and been to many other cities and never seen anything like the situation we have here.

And yes, some cyclists are annoying and entitled. But in many cases, there is actually a need to occupy the full lane to bike safely. There's polite ways of doing this and rude ways, but some drivers will never care one way or another and flip out regardless.

Lastly, that's NOT the same argument I'm making. Yielding to peds at a crossing is different than walking right down the bike lane playing on your phone when there's a sidewalk right next to you.

You are completely missing the point.

Those standards were developed for 10 foot high text to be read by traffic moving at 60mph.

So you really only see one word at a time.

LANE

ENDS

MERGE

RIGHT

In lower speed areas, the same intention applies because stopped traffic can be blocking some of the signage so you again see it in the order of movement.

But it makes zero sense on bike facilities with 3 foot high text set up like a book when you can see the entire phrase at once, and where bikes do not block text.

There is no point in applying highway standards to a bike facility. Bikes are not trucks.

I'm sorry you feel the law and the official road marking guidelines don't make sense. Write your congressman. In the meantime, do you think you can dispense with the threadshit?

Thanks,
Everyone

I'm sorry you feel the law and the official road marking guidelines don't make sense. Write your congressman. In the meantime, do you think you can dispense with the threadshit?

It's not the law. Hence the problem. It is engineer discretion.

I love the new separated bike lanes through the Casey Arborway project, but I think they really screwed up the transitions at the intersections. Instead of keeping peds and bikes separate with clear crossing points, they just kind of threw up their hands and put in these weird mixing zones. But they kept the ped and bike crossings separate as I would expect. It's just bizarre.

RE Casey mixing zones: MassDOT decided to meet partway between a protected intersection like arrangement (advocated by BCU) and the mixing zones as done in the remainder of the SWCP path. It's awkward, but by and large its setup to slow cyclists down where people on foot and bikes meet.

RE Casey mixing zones: MassDOT decided to meet partway between a protected intersection like arrangement (advocated by BCU) and the mixing zones as done in the remainder of the SWCP path. It's awkward, but by and large its setup to slow cyclists down where people on foot and bikes meet.

The mixing zones along the SWC don't force pedestrians and cyclists to cross over each other's paths at every intersection. On the new Arborway, you have the bike lane along the roadway and then the sidewalk outside of that. At the intersections, they force the two routes to weave so that the pedestrian route is closest to the roadway and then on the other side they switch back. It's unclear why they decided to introduce additional conflict points. The shortest and most convenient route is for both pedestrians and cyclists to just go straight and use the wrong ramps and crossings and that's actually what they're doing.

https://goo.gl/maps/QSTPNDqCLJT2

Interesting -- I haven't ridden on the Morton St. section yet, so I can't really comment on the configuration there, but most of the sections I have ridden do have the pedestrian path between the street and the bike path. That is the configuration approaching the South/Washington/Arborway intersection, for example. And at all four corners everybody does just go straight without crossing anybody else's path (unless turning).

Crossposted from the Development forum, Kenmore Square redesign.

http://www.bu.edu/today/2019/reimagining-kenmore-square/

Big improvements with curb separated bike lanes on the west side of Kenmore Sq. while only done within the general area of the new development, it demonstrates how to fix the rest of the square to make biking safe, convenient and far less stressful than today.

Henry (or anyone) - were you at the path meeting for the roslindale bike path last night? I couldn’t make it.

Henry (or anyone) - were you at the path meeting for the roslindale bike path last night? I couldn’t make it.

No, I had intended to go, but other things got in the way. I've heard generally that it went well, but don't have much in the way of details.

MIT's Ames Street plan [PDF]:
http://res.cloudinary.com/courbaniz...oad/v1/information_plans/vh2gcol67irx9samirvu

Includes a reconfigured intersection with Memorial Drive in the hopes that drivers will finally stop for people crossing the road:
xrq9BFbh.jpg

Looking at streetview, theres currently a place for southbound ames street to make the left turn onto Memorial, but also a sign that says no left turns. LOL

https://goo.gl/maps/1oapqBYsMc42

Those signs are confusing, but correct. You can only turn right onto Memorial WB. Once you cross over Memorial WB, you reach another stop sign and then may process to turn left onto Memorial EB. The no left turn sign is referring to WB.

Those signs are confusing, but correct. You can only turn right onto Memorial WB. Once you cross over Memorial WB, you reach another stop sign and then may process to turn left onto Memorial EB. The no left turn sign is referring to WB.

Right but it was clearly designed for a left turn at that location

I have to say, I think having bike lanes in the middle of the street like at North Station is dumb. I never see people actually utilizing those bike lanes. It's mainly used as an island for North Station jaywalkers.

I have to say, I think having bike lanes in the middle of the street like at North Station is dumb. I never see people actually utilizing those bike lanes. It's mainly used as an island for North Station jaywalkers.

My main issue there is how poorly it connects to the rest of the North End cycle track. For one thing, instead of continuing the track through Keany Sq, they have you bike behind the skating rink around the tennis courts and under the bridge (with poor signage). Then you have to bike over the rattly boardwalk at Lovejoy, and back over to Causeway street. Then you're basically on the sidewalk with no separation right in front of North Station where people were massing to cross the street before the tunnel opened. Only then can you get on the center cycle track.

If the center track went all the way to Keany Sq it would work a lot better, even if you had to awkwardly transfer into it.

Back