Biking in Boston

You are railing against an identified inadequacy but specifically saying you won't do anything about it. I appreciate that there will be bike lanes in a circumstance we all acknowledge as less than perfect. We can leave for others to determine what is childish, but I'm done with this pointless back and forth.

If you’re done with it why respond?

I re-emphasize that there are tons and tons of things I wish were done better in this area that I don’t have the power to change. I’m not going to stop complaining about them. Thank you very much.

Whose responsibility is it that all the crosswalks on the Somerville community path extension suck? The grade is bad, they're misaligned, and they put minimal effort into view lines to passing traffic. Is this something that Somerville is permitted to fix?

1709905979013.png

1709906144666.png

The generator placement pisses me off every time I see it. WTF were the high school designers thinking??
1709906221824.png

Please tell me they're going to be moving this one across Morgan earlier and not a diagonal intersection..
1709906497022.png

The crossings are all screwy because certain types of construction (e.g. raised crosswalks) are not permitted by the state atop the approach slabs to the bridges.

The Morgan Ave entrance is in an interim state until the CX parcels A & B are complete.

Biked on Tremont today in the South End. The protected lanes are great. However, at one corner a car was parked in one of them. I stopped and was getting ready to glower at the driver but it was an older person, who rolled down her window and when I told her she was in a bike lane she pointed to a handicapped parking sign, which sure enough, was on the sidewalk. I then noticed that there are tons of signs, some unclear whether they are from before the bike lanes were put in, or apply to where the cars park (which is now like ten feet away from the sidewalk signs). But it's confusing and I can see it leading to people not understanding the deal, at least at the corners where there is no preventive barrier blocking a car from parking right on the lane.

Hello ArchBoston!

My name is Kyle Casiglio, and as many of you know I am transportation planner at the Boston Region MPO. The MPO is conducting a study to identify and recommend strategies to prevent vehicle drivers from parking in bike lanes. We are interested in hearing from the cycling community and advocacy groups about how vehicles parked in bike lanes affect safety, behavior, and travel decisions.

Below is a link to a survey to learn more about your experiences. The survey should take 5 minutes to complete and will close on 4/30/2024. The survey is available in English, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Vietnamese. We would greatly appreciate it if you could share this within your networks!

Hello ArchBoston!

My name is Kyle Casiglio, and as many of you know I am transportation planner at the Boston Region MPO. The MPO is conducting a study to identify and recommend strategies to prevent vehicle drivers from parking in bike lanes. We are interested in hearing from the cycling community and advocacy groups about how vehicles parked in bike lanes affect safety, behavior, and travel decisions.

Below is a link to a survey to learn more about your experiences. The survey should take 5 minutes to complete and will close on 4/30/2024. The survey is available in English, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Vietnamese. We would greatly appreciate it if you could share this within your networks!

What does "How often do you deviate from a planned route to avoid an obstruction?" Does it mean avoid a particular street or block, or just exit the bike lane to avoid the obstruction? It's gotta be the former, since not avoiding the obstruction in the latter means running into it.

What does "How often do you deviate from a planned route to avoid an obstruction?" Does it mean avoid a particular street or block, or just exit the bike lane to avoid the obstruction? It's gotta be the former, since not avoiding the obstruction in the latter means running into it.

Yes the former, i.e. a particular part of a route that is frequently obstructed, causing you to avoid that part entirely.

Not sure if this has been posted yet (apologies if so), but the City of Cambridge was awarded a $2.4 million Reconnecting Communities & Neighborhoods (RCN) grant, which they will combine with $600K in ARPA funds, to complete the design for the planned ped/bike bridge over the Fitchburg Line CR tracks near Alewife.

Boston currently suffers from a serious shortcoming in that there is not a single protected bike route to go between the Charles Esplanades-Comm Ave-Emerald Necklace-SW Corridor Park. Mass Ave would mostly only require swapping some street parking and the bike lane to be protected along most of the route but south of there requires some serious action.

I would put forward making the lanes on Fenway/Park Drive actually protected. Protected lanes on St. Paul from Comm Ave up to Longwood then continuing them down Longwood to Brookline Ave where Longwood can then become transit/bike/deliveries only til Huntington. Lastly, the ROW originally slated for an urban ring busway on Ruggles can become a 2-way cycle track between the Station/SW Corridor and Huntington. This combined with various protected routes up from Roxbury on roads like Warren and Malcom X would go a very long way towards improving safe cycling infrastructure and driving modal shift in the city.

Boston currently suffers from a serious shortcoming in that there is not a single protected bike route to go between the Charles Esplanades-Comm Ave-Emerald Necklace-SW Corridor Park. Mass Ave would mostly only require swapping some street parking and the bike lane to be protected along most of the route but south of there requires some serious action.

I would put forward making the lanes on Fenway/Park Drive actually protected. Protected lanes on St. Paul from Comm Ave up to Longwood then continuing them down Longwood to Brookline Ave where Longwood can then become transit/bike/deliveries only til Huntington. Lastly, the ROW originally slated for an urban ring busway on Ruggles can become a 2-way cycle track between the Station/SW Corridor and Huntington. This combined with various protected routes up from Roxbury on roads like Warren and Malcom X would go a very long way towards improving safe cycling infrastructure and driving modal shift in the city.
I've found myself just using side streets from NEU all the way through Fenway and over to Kenmore-BU. Most main streets aren't direct connections. In those trips the only one for me that would benefit from a protected bike lane is on Beacon b/w Kenmore and Audubon Circle. Too bad all fo the construction work at One Kenmore has just made it all not workable.

When the design considerations prioritize moving car traffic over anything else (i.e. see the latest Cambridge St study), you're left with these important gaps at key intersections and busier stretches of road..where protection/separation is ironically needed the most. I have faith that Mayor Wu has things moving in the right direction but it will take years before major redesigns reach the entire city.

Another big problem is whenever construction closes off the sidewalk/curb/part of the ROW, it seems like the priority is 1) maintain car lanes 2) give a buffered temporary sidewalk 3) give bikes anything better than a sharrow. In certain areas during peak hours the cycle lane has much higher throughput than the car lane so based on that the priority needs to be 1) comfortable, wide pedestrian walkway 2) protected bike lane 3) cars. Even Cambridge is not immune to this car-centric bias.

Boston currently suffers from a serious shortcoming in that there is not a single protected bike route to go between the Charles Esplanades-Comm Ave-Emerald Necklace-SW Corridor Park

As a parent that raised a kid downtown, I felt this very acutely. We did a lot of bike riding, and getting from the Esplanade to the Necklace required a significant break in the action. Of course, this was also when the Lower Depths featured hot dogs, so we'd often make a detour to the surface streets anyway.

When the design considerations prioritize moving car traffic over anything else (i.e. see the latest Cambridge St study), you're left with these important gaps at key intersections and busier stretches of road..where protection/separation is ironically needed the most.
I think the designers are starting to figure this out. I was shocked the other day to find that the new left turn lane on VFW Parkway where it intersects with Church St sacrificed a through traffic lane, rather than the bike lane in order to find room. That's new for VFW Parkway, where the otherwise decent bike lanes merge in with a car lane at all the other intersections with turning lanes. This is progress, now they just need to restripe Baker, LaGrange, Corey, etc. and that quickly and cheaply becomes a decent bike route.

As a parent that raised a kid downtown, I felt this very acutely. We did a lot of bike riding, and getting from the Esplanade to the Necklace required a significant break in the action. Of course, this was also when the Lower Depths featured hot dogs, so we'd often make a detour to the surface streets anyway.
This really should have been done along Dartmouth Street. Much of the street has extra right-of-way from the former carriage road that fed between the Back Bay residential area and Back Bay Station. But there has been a lot of encroachment into that right-of-way.

I've found myself just using side streets from NEU all the way through Fenway and over to Kenmore-BU. Most main streets aren't direct connections. In those trips the only one for me that would benefit from a protected bike lane is on Beacon b/w Kenmore and Audubon Circle. Too bad all fo the construction work at One Kenmore has just made it all not workable.
Yeah Beacon, Washington, and Harvard Ave all need protected or separated lanes as well. I need to go between Brighton at the outer end of Comm Ave and Ruggles everyday and Washington St to Huntington is so unpleasant and the drivers are ridiculous. I now take Comm Ave down to Essex and then back streets to cross the D to the Emerald Necklace then come down Forsyth to Ruggles. Going this way this
IMG_5041.jpeg

is the only section that I need to share the road with heavy traffic but it’s also a 10min longer route than the most direct way which is far from transportation equity. This is especially true for connecting to the LMA from anywhere that isn’t down Brookline and Boylston to the Fens. If I remember correctly, 70% of LMA’s ~50k workforce arrive by means other than driving alone with one of the largest bike commute demographics in the region. Creating continuous safe bike infrastructure to the LMA should be a top priority.

For those not digging though the article, some Cambridge city council members want to delay building protected bike lanes. Most immediately, that affects planned lanes on Main Street and Cambridge Street. A bike safety group set up this campaign if you want to write to the city council. And there's still time to write in, because the vote was just delayed until next week.

I went last night and at least stayed through the public comments, which were overwhelmingly pro-bike lane. I think there were more bikers who had been personally hit by a car on Cambridge Street than there were people who wanted to delay the quick builds.

There seriously needs to be some sort of secure bike storage at Boston Landing ASAP. Bikes and parts are constantly stolen there (my whole bike was) and the bolts securing the racks to the ground have been removed for months. Thieves have been simply tipping over the rack and removing bikes.
IMG_5153.jpeg

Since the station is poorly served by transit and kind of out of the way from walking, biking is the best way to get to it yet it's not safe to leave it there.

Would this be a 311 or MBTA thing to contact someone about?

More bikes than cars out today on Cambridge St in Cambridge. I was just in a queue of 10 bikes and we were all weaving cars parked in the bike lane. And to think they want to not have a lane on this road. (Note; not the one in Allston, or the one in Boston, or the one in Charlestown)

Back