Biking the Boston 'Burbs (Trails, MDC, & Towns beyond Hubway area)

Google-Fu Challenge:
(and I know this exists, I just can't find the right kewords)
I want to find at least one story along the lines of:
"_______ Town Chief of Police testifies that bike paths reduce crime at hearing in __________ Town as the latter considers a bike path"

I seem to remember that to mollify the NIMBYs in, say, Sudbury or Bedford, they called the Chief from a peer city, that might have been Lexington or Concord to testify and his testimony was to the effect of:
As a young officer [many] years ago, and before we got a bike path, I remember that [my town] had many residents deeply concerned that a bike path would bring crime to our city and inflict trash and noise to abutters. Now, after [many] years experience, and as Chief of Police, I can testify that all fears were overblown and that those expressing the fears now see the path as a safe and enjoyable amenity for recreation and transportation.

Similarly, I wonder if anyone has captured the "our minds were changed" progress of "regular people." in some "reputable source" (such as Wikipedia would accept).

Unfortunately, I only have the personal experience of talking to "Liz B, longtime resident of Arlington MA" whose house, like mine, backed up to the Minuteman (though I only lived there 2000 to 2005) and who said--but only privately to me
I remember when the trains to North Station. When they told us a bike path was coming we were all worried about strangers and crime, but none of it happened, and it is great to have it [the Minuteman] back there.

Last edited:
2.74 miles of the Mass Central Rail Trail (locally known as the Wayside Trail) is nearing completion in Waltham - sounds like the Linden St Bridge part is still a while off. Exciting to see a big chunk of this trail system get closer to Boston. Photos and some deets here:

Concord is undertaking a transportation planning process starting with public engagement to identify transportation-related things in town that could be improved. Part of that is having a map (linked below) where people (anyone, it seems...) can add pinned comments or like and dislike others' comments to show support for ideas. The Reformatory Branch Trail is the focus of many comments, with a large number of folks downvoting any suggestions to make any improvements to the path. The path has the potential to be part of a regional network, so I think anyone should feel free to weigh in.

Great to see the I-95/Route 1 barrier to those trails getting breached, though it does emphasize the lack of connection to Peabody Square and Salem. I wonder how long before we see a "trail-use" agreement for the all-but-defunct railroad branch in that area.

Anybody know what happened at the public meeting last night?

"public hearing for the phase one project will be on Thursday, March 7, 2024"

1709907545196.png

1709907551792.png

Anybody know what happened at the public meeting last night?

"public hearing for the phase one project will be on Thursday, March 7, 2024"

View attachment 48375

View attachment 48376

Yes, big milestone as the State takes over from here. Full house turnout. Unfortunate it took literally decades to get to 25% design. Includes a tunnel under the MBTA tracks to the high school, which was a big selling point (and added to the delay because of MBTA design back-and-forth, eventually agreed to cut-and-cover approach that will only interrupt train service over a long weekend). Lots of Town and State electeds voicing support. Only 1 or 2 abutters voicing concerns. If all goes well it would be funded for construction by 2026 TIP:
https://hwy.massdot.state.ma.us/ProjectInfo/Main.asp?ACTION=ViewProject&PROJECT_NO=609204

Does not include Phase 2, which is still being worked locally to get to 25% design.

Follow https://www.facebook.com/belmontcommunitypath for updates.

Google-Fu Challenge:
"_______ Town Chief of Police testifies that bike paths reduce crime at hearing in __________ Town as the latter considers a bike path"

I seem to remember that to mollify the NIMBYs in, say, Sudbury or Bedford, they called the Chief from a peer city, that might have been Lexington or Concord to testify and his testimony was to the effect of:

Similarly, I wonder if anyone has captured the "our minds were changed" progress of "regular people." in some "reputable source" (such as Wikipedia would accept).

Unfortunately, I only have the personal experience of talking to "Liz B, longtime resident of Arlington MA" whose house, like mine, backed up to the Minuteman (though I only lived there 2000 to 2005) and who said--but only privately to me
The Friends of the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail have tons of positive research for rail trails. Several different studies note crime is not a problem across multiple rail trails.

Google-Fu Challenge:

I know the Lexington Chief of Police has testified to this effect more than once. For that matter, I grew up there, and when the MMB went in a lot of the abutters put up fences between the path and their backyards. Within a few years, most of those fences had gates installed in them.

Back