Bill Russell Bridge | North Washington St.

So I'm guessing you just don't have a response to Stlin's point about this still being a WIP? It's understandable that this thing looked like it might have been finished given the glacial rate of work being done, but there's no reason to be combative.

(And, to others, I understand how trolling works, but I still choose to engage in good faith rather than cast insults back and forth endlessly)

1000014639.jpg
1000014643.jpg
1000014642.jpg

This report from TransitMatters made a huge glaring error in the statement about the 92 and the 93 buses in Charlestown. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QxTaz4gU_hCkSBSHbpBolLh949lUNs-I/view

There is no bus lane on the North Washington Street bridge (look at the picture above). The bus lane will not be ready for use until March 2025, nearly a year away from now, after BNRD phase 1 and the national/federal election in Nov. 2024.

In addition, despite the MBTA's improved hiring situation (down 180 vacancies in the past 8 months), the MBTA failed to reverse the July 2023 service cut for Charlestown routes in the Spring 2024 schedule rating. This means that the 92 and 93 will still only run as little as 50% of the pre-pandemic weekday schedule, which today's schedule has fewer trips than even the pre-COVID Saturday schedule. It is expected though the Orange Line slow zones will be alleviated by the fall, which is a near term improvement. The next schedule change for MBTA buses is June 16th, 2024.

Also, I do appreciate the rider's comment listed in the bottom right of TM's report, which accurately depects the situation in Charlestown. The Orange Line is essentially cut off from the neighborhood, meaning the 92 and 93 buses are the lifeblood of Charlestown and the foundation for multimodal transportation within the area. The bike lanes on the new bridge will not be ready until March 2025, and won't immediately extend directly into the neighborhood even after finished (The Ruthorford Ave redesign is years away and that only goes to Sullivan, not the Navy Yard or Main St.).

1712860800186.png

Anyone else notice there was a big fish kill around bridge last week (Friday most likely)? There were flocks of seagulls feeding on thousands of dead fish all last weekend. Anyone know why this happens?

Fish kill explained.

....caused by migratory river herring that had trouble passing through the New Boston Dam of the Charles River. “Each spring, thousands of river herring return to Massachusetts rivers to spawn. Occasionally, when a large number of herring congregate below dams, it can cause dissolved oxygen levels to dramatically drop making it hard for them to survive. While fish kills are unfortunate, they seldom have a significant effect on the overall population because of the large number of river herring that return to the Charles River each spring.”

https://wbznewsradio.iheart.com/content/a-north-end-feast-of-a-different-kind/

design flaw of what, the dam from 45 years ago?
Point taken on the age of the design. I had some time today to do a little research, and a successful fishway built to accommodate the passage of fish around a dam will permit 70 to 80 percent of the upstream bound fish to pass through. What surprised me about this particular fish kill was that there were so many Herring backed up that the oxygen was depleted in a moving body of water. I'm not trying to throw stones at anyone who worked on this particular damn in the 1970's. It just seems to me that we can do better.

Forgive me if this isn't a thing, but there are locks in that dam. If the existing fish ladder is seemingly adequate until there's a major aggregation of fish, Can't they treat a school of fish like a boat and "lift" them up?

After reading this excellent explanation of the benefits of removing obsolete dams, I was hoping that some of those upstream along the Charles and tributaries would be on a schedule for demolition. If a dam no longer serves a purpose for humans and continues to harm the river ecosystem, it really ought to go. These lists are not always up to date, but here's what Wikipedia shows as proposed for removal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dam_removals_in_Massachusetts

After reading this excellent explanation of the benefits of removing obsolete dams, I was hoping that some of those upstream along the Charles and tributaries would be on a schedule for demolition. If a dam no longer serves a purpose for humans and continues to harm the river ecosystem, it really ought to go. These lists are not always up to date, but here's what Wikipedia shows as proposed for removal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dam_removals_in_Massachusetts
A more up to date listing is the MA DER (Division of Ecological Restoration)'s project map. Granted, you'll have to sift through all of the different types of projects they're doing, but these are the folks coordinating dam removals across MA. Additionally, their semi-annual newsletter gives you a pretty good idea of what they're up to. They've also modeled the potential ecological impact of removing each dam in MA, if admittedly not in huge detail.
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/the-division-of-ecological-restoration-project-map

It seems the next logical priority to benefit fish that migrate up the Charles is the removal of the Watertown dam. It has a small fish ladder there which is grossly inadequate and located at the wrong end of the dam requiring fish to leave the deeper channel to cross the shallows where most are killed by predators. A recent study which recommended the dam's removal put the cost of demolition, extraction of the contaminated silt which the dam has collected, and reconstruction of the riverbed at $2.2 million. As of last fall the next step would be for the dam owner, the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, to decide whether or not to fund the engineering necessary to apply for federal money for the project.

ETA: I realize this is off the topic of the Washington Street Bridge so if I come across anything else concerning this issue, I'll see if I can find a more appropriate infrastructure thread.

Last edited:
It took me 45 minutes to cross this bridge on Saturday. They had a lane closed by Blackmoor during the busiest time of day. And no one works on the bridge itself on the weekend. Charlestown has been a disaster with poorly planned construction work recently. So frustrating. Was hoping the bridge may open this summer but it doesn't look promising.

It took me 45 minutes to cross this bridge on Saturday. They had a lane closed by Blackmoor during the busiest time of day. And no one works on the bridge itself on the weekend. Charlestown has been a disaster with poorly planned construction work recently. So frustrating. Was hoping the bridge may open this summer but it doesn't look promising.
The bridge was slated for completion at the end of March 2025 during the last public meeting in fall 2022. So this is still 9 months away.

----

The bridge and the route to Sullivan has been a relentless growth in traffic congestion. It's a complete disaster for the OL shuttle buses this week, with additional roadwork near the OL bridge and track replacements going on between Sullivan, Somerville, and Assembly. It's worse in this week's OL shutdown compared to the 2022 monthlong shutdown.

The 2 buses that make the jaunt from Sullivan busway to Haymarket busway have had bus headway attrition and travel time increases in the past decade. What was once a crisp 11 - 13 minute jaunt between the Sullivan Station busway and the Haymarket busway via the North Washington Street Bridge back in 2009/2014. is today scheduled to take 21 - 24 minutes at the same time of day. Bus schedule changes in 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022 have all added extra runtime to complete a full duty cycle for the buses crossing the North Washington Street Bridge and slashing headways. This means that 50% of a duty cycle of the buses have been lost to traffic. With buses cycling twice as slow back and forth in 2024, they can only cover half of the trips in the same amount of time, compared to 2014. This means that returning to 2014 headways is not possible without adding extra buses to the routes to compensate for the extra travel time and traffic congestion. Its only compounded by the reduced service caused by the operator shortage resulting in a 50% transit service cut compared to 2009/2014 levels, with rush hour headways quadrupling in length.

With the Sullivan bridge replacements starting earlier in the spring, I can only imagine that later this fall/autumn 2024, after the traffic crapshoot at Sullivan has been in place for several months, the MBTA will respond by slashing bus frequencies on the N. Washington Street bridge even more by adding extra time for buses to cycle back and forth between Sullivan and the bridge. There aren't any service restorations this summer.

Notably, the bus lanes from the southern end of North Washington Street Bridge to the Haymarket busway have all failed to do anything to make the buses faster. Instead, it seems the buses have gotten slower since the bus lane introduction in late 2019 and 2023. Bus lanes do work in other parts of the world, but it seems like the bus lanes between the bridge and Haymarket, and in other parts of Boston such as Allston, fail to to make any meaningful speed improvements to make the buses significantly faster.

The insane traffic congestion on the N. Washington Street Bridge and Sullivan Sq., is an excellent case of bus headway and cycling attrition caused by endless increasing traffic. Is there any other bus route that's had this bad of headway attrition caused by worsening traffic jams? I'm not sure how much the Lynn Terminal - Lynnway - Wonderland - 1A 4xx bus madness stacks up compared to the duo routes between N. Washington St & Sullivan.

It looks like all of the scaffolding has been removed from the harbor facing side of the bridge so I just dont see when theyre going to add this final cladding to cover the side of the bridge, but I’m still willing to wait and see if its still going to happen before calling it a bait and switch. What would the plan of attack be going forward to add the cladding at this point in construction? They would have to add scaffolding back on to the bridge no?

Back