Block G | 120 Seaport blvd | Seaport sq

stick n move

Superstar
Reaction score
Construction start expected May 2023. This is phase eight of the Seaport Square development. The scope of work on Block G has been changed from predominately multi-residential to office / lab research space as of December 13, 2022. 650,000 SF - 21 Stories Above Grade, 620,000 SF. 30,000 SF.
1652203523448-png.24292

1652203575829-png.24293

1652203603181-png.24294

1652203631249-png.24295

1652203653449-png.24296

1652203679338-png.24297

https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/seaport-square-block-g
https://www.constructionjournal.com/projects/details/0fd7d6f47eee47b0a8d356e033ae3491.html

excellent. will this development include the remaining portion of Parcel F that is undeveloped green space?

now if only Parcel D and Fan Pier Parcel H kick off, that entire section of the Seaport will be complete

Fan Pier Parcel H Multi-Residential Development (constructionjournal.com)

Block F was just approved as well at the same time as block G, so they should be able to move forward at the same time Id imagine.
https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/seaport-square-block-f

Would have been really nice to get more residential here, but I understand some of that is made up in blocks L3/L6 planned near the Amazon buildings. My concern is there will be another PNF trying to wiggle out of housing for higher margin lab/office. The expansion of open space in F is a win to be sure, though. I wonder where Snowport and Cisco will end up.

One question: have there been detailed final plans with facade studies/floorplates for block G yet? I see the renderings shown at BPDA but surprised there isn't more currently disclosed.

Would have been really nice to get more residential here, but I understand some of that is made up in blocks L3/L6 planned near the Amazon buildings. My concern is there will be another PNF trying to wiggle out of housing for higher margin lab/office. The expansion of open space in F is a win to be sure, though. I wonder where Snowport and Cisco will end up.

One question: have there been detailed final plans with facade studies/floorplates for block G yet? I see the renderings shown at BPDA but surprised there isn't more currently disclosed.

Is this even a project? There was a change to the PDA made recently but AFAIK there is no actual proposal for this site (or there isn't one on the BPDA website or in the news). Does someone know more?

I guess that’s my real question. BPDA has Block G as “approved” on the website but it’s unclear if it’s an approval to change the overall project to lab/office, or if it’s an approval of finalized building.

If construction is starting May 2023 then it must be the latter, right?

Is this even a project? There was a change to the PDA made recently but AFAIK there is no actual proposal for this site (or there isn't one on the BPDA website or in the news). Does someone know more?
This is what was approved on Dec 15.
Specifically, this 2022 NPC proposes several key changes from current Project approvals,
summarized below:
1. Significant expansion of the amount of open space to be constructed on Block F of
the Project, to create a singular, iconic public open space at the heart of the Seaport
neighborhood;
2. Creates a residential hub on Block L of the Project, by converting part of the Block
L-6 building, previously slated for hotel uses, to residential use, resulting in a
significant increase in the volume of residential uses and percentage of on-site
affordable housing to be constructed on Blocks L-3 and L-6 of the Project;
3. Includes a use program for portions of the buildings to be constructed on Block G,
Block L-3, and Block L-6 of the Project to include office and research uses to
promote further job creation and economic opportunity;
4. Adds certain additional categories of Allowed Retail/Service uses to better serve the surrounding neighborhood.

This 2022 NPC refers to Blocks F, G, L-3, and L-6 as the “2022 NPC Blocks”.

In connection with the 2022 NPC, the Proponent proposes to adjust and study the use mix
for each of the NPC Blocks, as follows:

Block F: 0 square feet of Retail / 2,000 square feet of Civic use (not including District
Hall);
Block G: 620,000 square feet Office/Research / 30,000 square feet of Retail (inclusive
of 5,000 square feet of civic space). Note that this represents a reduction in
overall GFA proposed for Block G of 21,800 square feet;
Block L-3: 150,000 square feet of Office/Research / 260,000 square feet Residential /
15,000 square feet of Retail;
Block L-6: 130,000 square feet of Office/Research / 210,000 square feet Residential
15,000 square feet of Retail

What more in the way of a project are you looking for?

I guess that’s my real question. BPDA has Block G as “approved” on the website but it’s unclear if it’s an approval to change the overall project to lab/office, or if it’s an approval of finalized building.

If construction is starting May 2023 then it must be the latter, right?
It refers to BPDA approval of the change in use, and well as changes in use for other buildings, e.g., converting a previously proposed hotel to residential.

FWIW, Twitter user The Fort Pointer has been keeping track of various Seaport developments and debacles and got the developer to re-release this render with the massing of the approved building just to the East of Parcel G, for a more realistic portrayal of the future site.
View attachment 32114
Ideally the building to the East of Parcel G would be angled back to expand the Fan Pier Park in order to provide a more integrated flow into Seaport Common. If need be, lost square footage could be added to the top of the building since the height is not maximized on that parcel. Different owners/developers, but It would also be great if Fan Pier Park itself was totally redesigned in conjunction with the redesign of Seaport Common.

This is what was approved on Dec 15.

What more in the way of a project are you looking for?

I'd like to see a PNF filing at the BPDA with an architect attached to the project. This is all about entitlements to build this building not actually doing so.

The difference in architectural quality between this and the Pier 4 building next door is just absurd. Fortunately, between this one and St. Regis no one will ever have to see the Pier 4 building again.

If only there were some way to never see Park Lane Seaport again!

Ideally the building to the East of Parcel G would be angled back to expand the Fan Pier Park in order to provide a more integrated flow into Seaport Common. If need be, lost square footage could be added to the top of the building since the height is not maximized on that parcel. Different owners/developers, but It would also be great if Fan Pier Park itself was totally redesigned in conjunction with the redesign of Seaport Common.

Drives me nuts how these two parks have zero relationship to each other, like they’re talking past each other. The paths and crosswalks don’t line up at all making you zigzag all over the place instead of having one nice, clear promenade from Seaport Blvd. to the harbor.

It's nice to see a ground floor that doesn't remind me of shopping in a "lifestyle center".

Drives me nuts how these two parks have zero relationship to each other, like they’re talking past each other. The paths and crosswalks don’t line up at all making you zigzag all over the place instead of having one nice, clear promenade from Seaport Blvd. to the harbor.
Well you have to remember, the Seaport is one of Boston's oldest neighborhoods that rose about organically over hundreds of years. It's not the kind of place where a master planner had blank slate to worth with, and could have designed the most optimal layout for civic uses and public transport in one fell swoop.

Back