Blue Line to Lynn, Silver Line Phase III and Urban Ring projects officially canceled

The article says that a primary reason for dropping the Blue Line extension is encroachment on the right of way. It is my understanding that the major culprits are in Revere.

This recent architectural masterpiece on Revere Beach is an example. There are several others further up the Beach, including two large apartment buildings and their shared parking structure near Carey Circle.

Last edited:
This recent architectural masterpiece on Revere Beach is an example. There are several others further up the Beach, including two large apartment buildings and thir shared parking structure near Carey Circle.

The next question may be impossible to answer, but I want to investigate how that was allowed to happen and what other cities effected by that apparent violation of the right of way can even do about it.

There has also been some talk (amongst locals only, apparently) of an alternative Orange Line expansion to Lynn.

Welcome to the board, mediaseth.

You may find the thoughts expressed in this thread of some interest.

mediaseth,

A branch of the Orange Line to Lynn (possibly by way of the old Saugus Branch) would be far more expensive and disruptive than an extension of the Blue Line. If the old narrow guage alignment through Point of Pines is infeasible for a Blue Line extension due to right-of-way encroachment, a route along the MBTA commuter rail through the Oak Island neighborhood would be another option. A short tunnel for the Blue Line could be built at the Oak Island crossing shown on this Google streetview: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=...noid=tSng4EMliUZPjNzJO2Iv1A&cbp=12,56.55,,0,5

However, the old narrow guage right-of-way through Point-of-Pines is the most desirable route in terms of serving populated areas. If I were king of the world, I would simply acquire the necessary properties and demolish any encroaching apartment buildings in the way.

I've also found a group looking to re-open a closed East Lynn Commuter Rail stop between Central Square and Swampscott. Apparently, it's all pretty much still intact and there wouldn't be much work involved (relatively speaking).

You know thinking about it, where are all the enthusiast like Van go? Alot of incompetents take such jobs for different ambitions and others still just end up up on the job through connections, and others still just have some really poor ideas for whatever reasons. Where are all the people like the people in this site doing? Going after jobs they don't want to do? Or preaching in the woods as no one is listening.

Of course there's some have greater interests, but there's got to be others who think like Van and trying to gain a place in the system to do what they want to do rather than just make a blog like transport politics...

^ Several people on this forum have attempted to run for office. Not everyone approaches this stuff from the sidelines.

Still, I think agencies like the T have entrenched organizations that make them difficult to penetrate, assuming someone here would want to.

I do wonder if the tendency to sharply criticize the T and other orgs would be so great if forumers were feeling the kind of daily budgetary pressure their employees do. After being charged with creating a viable mass transit corridor on Washington St. and then forced to do so with very little money, I'm sure a lot of people inside the T thought the Silver Line as BRT was the best compromise possible.

After being charged with creating a viable mass transit corridor on Washington St. and then forced to do so with very little money, I'm sure a lot of people inside the T thought the Silver Line as BRT was the best compromise possible.

I talked with one of the guys who basically built the Silver Line and he was no dummy. He knew very well that it should be Light Rail and had many great ideas. He also had a family and needed his job so he did what he was asked to do as well as he could given the conditions.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I talked with one of the guys who basically built the Silver Line and he was no dummy. He knew very well that it should be Light Rail and had many great ideas. He also had a family and needed his job so he did what he was asked to do as well as he could given the conditions.

Sisyphus and the rock. This is why for now at least I do something which I'll never pretend to enjoy... so much easier to be Sisyphus when you just don't care.

The State Transportation Office sent me a response stating the Blue Line project is not canceled even though they are aware MPO took it off their list last week, along with copies of press releases from July that I had already read...back in July. Not sure what to make of this..and everyone on an official level is acting like the obstructions are not there on the right of way. And frankly, they're ignoring any questions that have to do with obstructions on the right of way.

Nobody wants to say the obvious - which is that Revere seriously f*@%'d up.

The State Transportation Office sent me a response stating the Blue Line project is not canceled even though they are aware MPO took it off their list last week, along with copies of press releases from July that I had already read...back in July. Not sure what to make of this..and everyone on an official level is acting like the obstructions are not there on the right of way. And frankly, they're ignoring any questions that have to do with obstructions on the right of way.

None of these have been canceled, theyve all just been pushed back for a little bit. Same thing thats been happening for the last decade really.

Back