Boston 2035

^ Ok, so it was more Lincoln than Concord? I'd still guess that underpasses along the Concord corridor would be the most feasible solution politically. The rotary is another miserable feature at rush-hour, and as fond as I am of it, something needs to be done to improve traffic flow at that intersection (although I'm not impressed by any of the signal intersection ideas that have been floated.)

^ Ok, so it was more Lincoln than Concord? I'd still guess that underpasses along the Concord corridor would be the most feasible solution politically. The rotary is another miserable feature at rush-hour, and as fond as I am of it, something needs to be done to improve traffic flow at that intersection (although I'm not impressed by any of the signal intersection ideas that have been floated.)

I think the rotary can be replaced by a underpass of RT-2 with a ramp-up to the existing rotary for local connections

I would do the same with the grade crossing of the rail line and all of the intersections after Rt-126

Without addressing the details of this plan - the idea of electronic tolling or a vehicle miles traveled tax needs to die.

Just raise the gas tax to pay for highway projects and index it to inflation so it's more automatic in the future. Tolls have huge overhead costs. Even under an ideal tolling scenario tolling is going to have a nonzero cost - I'd peg a reasonable estimate of 5-15%. Gas tax costs nothing in collection costs. Ok, maybe not literally nothing, but I'm sure there are no more than 2-3 full time employees at the Department of Revenue in charge of managing and auditing gas tax collection.

Vehicles are becoming more efficient - great, that just means we might need to raise the gas tax even more, it doesn't mean we need to redesign our entire system of transportation funding.

Back