Boston 7th in Nightlife Nationwide?

not only does Boston have a great variety of bars, it has a good quantity of the type of bars you particularly like. If you like a certain type of bar, you dont have to go to one or two of them constantly to satisfy your fix. And the bars extend out to the suburbs, and there's at least busses that can get you there, and taxi's to take you home. sorry to rehash an old topic

if you like the mechanical bull, line dancing type bars, you may have a problem.

Last edited:
It's really hard to find a bar in Boston that's not playing the Sox/Pats game, even where no one pays attention. What's with that?

Don't get me started on TVs in bars / restaurants! I go to a bar to talk with friends, not be inundated with TV. Most of the time the stations are turned to ESPN5 and they are showing lame motorcross races or something, with commercial after commercial.

What's the point???

It really detracts from the aesthetic.

Even nice bars do this, now.

Sucks, totally.

I dont get it, if your not interested in it, dont watch it. Most bars dont play the audio of the TV's, there's almost always music playing. Unless its a sports bar and its a big game. The only things you can really watch at bars is either sports or news. but I digress.

Boston's night life is pretty good, nothing special really

they really need to extend the hours till 3 maybe 4

I know what you mean, Suffolk 83, but it didn't use to exist, now it does. I think it cheapens the bar. And it is hard to ignore when there are eight of them. (Cleary's, anyone?)

Just my humble opinion!

Ultimately, from what I've seen here {Boston, NYC, SF, Atlanta, Dallas, LA, Las Vegas, etc} and quite a bit abroad {London, Paris, Warsaw, Taipei, Seoul, Dubai, etc} -- there is {or at least there was} only one city with true Night Life if you define it as being virtually indistinguishable from evening life

That City of course was the pre-Katrina New Orleans and specifically Bourbon St. in the French Quarter.

Neither New York or even Las Vegas could compare with Bourbon St. --Where else could you walk down the street and then hang by the open walls of a club listening to live music while sipping a brew or a "Hurricane" and then stroll back the other way down the street a couple of blocks grab some gumbo on a paper plate from a "hole in wall" grab another brew from a bar kiosk and then while walking closer to the buildings {for stability?} nearly get kicked in the head by a Blond swinging out through the "window" of another kind of club while she's sitting a red velvet trapeze wearing high heels and some red velvet ribbon, a few tassels and not much else

Then later in Jackson Square, near St. Louis Cathedral, you can collapse against a potted palm tree while wearing a top hat and tails

Later as the Sun is coming up try to sober-up with some cafe-au lait and Beignets at the Cafe Du Monde on the Riverwalk

Finally around 7Am you can have your face caricatured for posterity by an artist in Jackson Square -- stagger back to your hotel room and sleep until noon or so and be ready to go again

All the above was participated in or at least observed by your intrepid correspondent on more than one occasion in the Quarter

Not sure that it belongs in any other place than NO

Westy

Back