Boston Architecture, Landscape and Urban Design Map

Pierce

Reaction score
I don't think I've posted this here yet, but I've at last done some long overdue updates to a google map i keep of area sites of architectural interest.

It is highly filtered by me, so the exclusion of something is probably just due to the fact that I'm not a fan. My training is in landscape architecture and urban design so that bias is prevalent, though I teach architecture undergraduates and this is something I include in my syllabus reference list so don't be afraid it's not all parks.

I'm not interested in how other individual's definition of merit varies from mine, but if you know of something cool i'm missing please let me know so I can check it out. And please feel free to poke around, there are alot of hours of research in this and surely you may find a thing or two you didn't realize existed....

I've become quite interested in some of the quirky 50s and 60s small building littered around Longwood, mainly along the Riverway, especially the killer concrete block parking garage covered with Ivy. If anyone knows information about this please share! Likewise Stetson Hall at Northeastern, which I only know from cycling past it in the past few months and I have not had a chance to look into yet.

Now without further delay: my map

[quoting vanished question about the JP wall]

My wife and I just "discovered" that a month or two ago while perusing the JP historical society website. They have a more in depth explanation there (as do some other websites) but in a nutshell it was bargaining chip in the city's acquisition of land for the parkways during the 1890's style. In true Boston style, it was finally built as a WPA project in the 1930s.

It is about 3/4 mile long and continuous, save for a few gaps for long vanished trees. It is in excellent condition with one or two notable areas of exception, and follows the topography closely about 18" - 24" high from grade. It bridges a creek at the low point, and has views out to the blue hills at the high point. Definitely worth half of a day on a weekend! Here is a flickr album from our visit. Sorry I don't have time to post them directly in here.

Congratulations, you succeeded in distracting me from any work all night. That's an awesome map, found a bunch of buildings and parks I had no idea about.

Back