Boston Beans

DowntownDave

Reaction score
There was an article in the paper this weekend about Rice-A-Roni and its association with San Francisco. Like many people, I myself immediately think of that jingle when the city is mentioned. The article's point was that nobody here actually eats Rice-A-Roni. It also mentions:

Philadelphia is known for its cheese steak as New York is for its cheesecake. Chicago's deep-dish pizza is sold in San Diego. Boston isn't called Beantown for nothing. And without beef where, really, would Omaha be?

Now when is the last time anyone ate Boston Baked Beans? The only time I ever have baked beans is with a full English breakfast in London. I don;t think I can even recall the last time I ate, or even saw anyone eating, baked beans in Boston. Am I alone in that perception? Does anyone know when people in Beantown stopped eating beans?

When the Puritians stopped having all day Sunday services?

Prince Spaghetti would be our rough equivalent of Rice-a-Roni, as a popular image inspired by a TV commercial.

Sure, but I ate tons of Prince spaghetti growing up -- but baked beans? Never.....

Me neither. I think that whole bean and farting thing got many people to stop too.

Baked beans are supposed to be based on a native American recipe and held up well on the long sea voyages. I like em with fishcakes or hot dogs.

No canned brown bread, stuff is friggin awful.

What about chowda? Every Bostonian loves chowda.

i love chowdah too, but its "New England" clam chowder, not "Boston" chowder....

Maine has lobsters...

Scott said:
Baked beans are supposed to be based on a native American recipe and held up well on the long sea voyages. I like em with fishcakes or hot dogs.

No canned brown bread, stuff is friggin awful.

What about chowda? Every Bostonian loves chowda.

Interesting.. I never knew they were based on a Native American recipe. I thought they originally came about due to the molasses trade with the Caribbean and also due to the fact that the Puritans needed something that would sustain them through Sunday services, since they were not allowed to work on Sundays. They had to cook the next day's meal on Saturday.

Re

I've always had canned baked beans with hot dogs. I hope that counts. My whole life its been hot dogs and beans as the lazy weekend attempt at dinner. I don't know if its a local thing, and I don't think the canned beans are (I forget the brand), but its what me and my family have been doing forever.

Back