Boston Bombing Memorial | Boylston St | Back Bay

Found a few more from the Boston Herald.

memorialnc10.jpg

memorialnc5.jpg

memorialnc1.jpg

They always work with the victims families on things like this, so if theyre happy Im happy.

Last edited:
Not to be a Negative Nancy, but I'm disappointed at home this came out. I think the design is underwhelming and (sigh) ugly.

Daytime view looks great. The lightsaber nighttime lighting... I don't get it. They could have done simple uplighting/spotlighting.

I think the design is fine enough but it was really pissing me off how long this took. It should've been done in March easy

I agree, they aren't my taste. They look like wizard wands.

The contractor tented this and worked through the winter to finish for the marathon but the bronze lights weren't ready. In the artists defense, these light towers are pretty unique and cool up close.
ENR Article about the construction process.
And another about how they had to build "chimneys" around the trees to keep them from blooming in the winter (since they were in a heated tent).

Like the Logan 9-11 Memorial and its landscaping the Marathon Memorial needs at least 5 years for the Cherries to grow -- then we need to see them in April 2025 before we can judge the full effect

Back