Boston Brahmins Thread

whighlander

Reaction score
This makes me sick. I remember when Boston was made for the common man. The condos at these luxury developments should all be given to working class families!

Tmac -- Ah would that be the Boston of Oliver Wendell Holmes --- aka "The home of the bean and the cod. Where the Lowells talk only to Cabots, And the Cabots talk only to God"

or would it be the Boston of Isabella Stewart Gardner having her friend's "band" play for the opening of her new house -- the friend being Henry Lee Higginson and the "band" being the BSO

or the Boston of the Ames family of the eponymous Ames Plough Company and the Ames Mansion on Commonwealth
143220592-boston-ames-mansion-commonwealth-ave-gettyimages.jpg

Re: Mandarin Oriental

Tmac -- Ah would that be the Boston of Oliver Wendell Holmes --- aka "The home of the bean and the cod. Where the Lowells talk only to Cabots, And the Cabots talk only to God"
Kabotchnik v. Cabot in which Harry Kabotchnik went to court in Pennsylvania to legally change his name to Cabot, a change opposed by the local gentry named Cabot.

So the doggerel became,

And this is good old Boston,
The home of the bean and the cod,
Where the Lowells have no one to talk to
Since the Cabots speak Yiddish, by God.

Kabotchnik v. Cabot in which Harry Kabotchnik went to court in Pennsylvania to legally change his name to Cabot, a change opposed by the local gentry named Cabot.

So the doggerel became,

is that from The Proper Bostonian?

or would it be the Boston of Isabella Stewart Gardner having her friend's "band" play for the opening of her new house -- the friend being Henry Lee Higginson and the "band" being the BSO

or the Boston of the Ames family of the eponymous Ames Plough Company and the Ames Mansion on Commonwealth
143220592-boston-ames-mansion-commonwealth-ave-gettyimages.jpg

re: the Webster-Ames house... from the Neighborhood Association of the Back Bay's newsletter, Winter 2011:

by marian ullman
The approaching fortieth
anniversary of the Neighborhood
Association of the Back Bay has prompted
me to recall some of my early days on
Marlborough Street. I moved here in the fall of
1947. There was no neighborhood association,
no playground, and, aside from church, very little
opportunity meet anyone. Many houses in the Back
Bay were still private homes, as were those of three of
my immediate neighbors. On one side lived Mr. and
Mrs. Lowell, parents of the poet, Robert Lowell, not
yet famous. On the other side, but one, lived Mrs.
Francis B. Crowninshield (in spring and fall). In
this house, the only residence in Back Bay designed
by H.H. Richardson, and the one across the street
occupied by Mrs. Henry Endicott, there were large
staffs of servants, including a chauffeur. When Mrs.
Endicott departed for her summer home on the North
Shore in her Cadillac limousine, the staff lined up
on the front steps in white aprons in very Upstairs,
Downstairs fashion to wave goodbye. Behind me,
in a huge house at 306 Dartmouth Street, lived Mr.
and Mrs. Edwin S. Webster. Their conservatory
was always filled with flowers raised and brought
in from greenhouses at their spring an fall home in
Chestnut Hill. Passersby on Commonwealth Avenue
appreciated the bright color of flowers always turned
toward the street for the benefit of the neighbors.

Prior to World War II, the heavy wave of Irish
immigration had provided a generous supply of
servants, but during the war many servants left for
better-paying jobs in the factories. Rosie the Riveter
had likely previously been a chambermaid, a waitress,
or a cook in some Back Bay town house. Since it’s
well nigh impossible to run one of our four- or fivestory
houses with a basement kitchen and a dining
room on the floor above without servants, many,
many houses were put up for sale when servants
became difficult or impossible to find, and the owners
moved to the suburbs. The houses were bought largely
by rooming-house operators and people like me who
turned them into apartments. It was a period of
tremendous change in Back Bay.

Coal furnaces were common, and of course a janitor
was a necessity to tend the furnace twice a day, not
to mention the job of taking out the ashes.
Dirt on the windowsill was much worse
than it is today. The janitor also shoveled
the snow—not just a shovel’s-width path down the
middle, but the whole sidewalk and a path out to
the street so that Madam could reach her limousine
easily. Gradually coal gave way to oil, and the sight
of heavy barrels of ashes waiting to be picked up from
the alley was no more.

You can see how life was lived then at the Gibson
House Museum at 137 Beacon Street. The kitchen
and laundry are an especial treat.

Small food markets, which did a large business by
telephone and delivery, and supplied only the finest
quality in meats and produce, gradually went out of
business. There was no such thing as a supermarket.
The nearest approximation was an A&P on Mass.
Avenue. Pilgrim Laundry Company, which had keys
to half the houses in Back Bay, picked up the laundry
and dry-cleaning and returned it a week later. That
company lasted a little longer but it, too, finally went
out of business. I did not have a washing machine
until about 1955, nor did I have a television set until
about the same time.

Re: Mandarin Oriental | 776 Boylston St | Back Bay

They moved to the suburbs after WWII because...there wasn't enough help for hire?

Sure. OK.

They moved to the suburbs after WWII because...there wasn't enough help for hire?

Sure. OK.

More like the could not find them at the wages they were used to paying. Wages went up after the war and running a large house like that got rather expensive.

FK4, the "yiddish' version came from a Jewish publication. The original was written/spoken by a graduate of Holy Cross.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Collins_Bossidy

The original quote is famous, but the altered version I've read somewhere... can't recall where. The Proper Bostonians is a hilarious but not overly hyperbolic account of how things were, even in the 1940s. Pretty incredible to read.

Edit - the altered version is indeed quoted in The Proper Bostonians.

I've never considered that the departure of the Brahmins from the Back Bay had anything to do with rising wage costs for the help - when I read the above piece, it seemed a bit ridiculous... however, the enormous cultural shifts following WWII certainly led to a rapid, worldwide reduction in the large houses of the aristocracy, and the number of servants decreased accordingly. Perhaps, one of the many factors contributing to this was the rising expense of service workers. Many of the families in the Back Bay kept their city home here, a suburban/"country home" estate in the Brahmin enclaves of Dover, Dedham or Chestnut Hill, and then of course the obligatory summer home or two on the Cape.

It's remarkable that even the Back Bay was, indeed, full of rooming houses by the mid 1960s, with many of the other townhomes carved into apartments (certainly, a few of the original people remained, but I have read and heard that it was very seedy, by today's comparison). This change was rapid, and there's more to the story than just pawning it off as part of the "white flight" - which saw white people of all social strata leave the city and move to NEW homes in the suburbs, with new and better schools - whereas the Back Bay-ers already had other residences elsewhere and their children already went to private schools anyway. Interesting...

So the doggerel became,

Stel there's an incorrect alternative to the original version that substituted the Lodges for the Lowells -- it was promoted when we had a Senator Lodge [Henry Cabot Lodge]

Henry Cabot Lodge, Ph.D., (1850–1924),
Cabotlodgenationalportrait.jpg
[painted by John Singer Sargent]

or his grandson, Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. (1902 – 1985),
440px-Henry_Cabot_Lodge_II.jpg

Both were Senators and Ambassadors

The older Lodge was a fiend of Teddy Roosevelt and opponent of the League of Nations, and a delegate to the Washington International Conference on the Limitation of Armaments [aka the Washington Naval Conference]

The younger Lodge served with distinction as an active duty officer [Lt. Col.] in the Army in WWII [resigned his Senate seat] and later was Ambassador to United Nations [how ironic], South Vietnam, West Germany, and the Holy See and in the middle he was Nixon's VP Candidate in 1960

So I guess if the Cabots are out of the question for the Lowells they could try calling the Lodges

Last edited:

The original quote is famous, but the altered version I've read somewhere... can't recall where. The Proper Bostonians is a hilarious but not overly hyperbolic account of how things were, even in the 1940s. Pretty incredible to read.

Edit - the altered version is indeed quoted in The Proper Bostonians.

I've never considered that the departure of the Brahmins from the Back Bay had anything to do with rising wage costs for the help - when I read the above piece, it seemed a bit ridiculous... however, the enormous cultural shifts following WWII certainly led to a rapid, worldwide reduction in the large houses of the aristocracy, and the number of servants decreased accordingly. Perhaps, one of the many factors contributing to this was the rising expense of service workers. Many of the families in the Back Bay kept their city home here, a suburban/"country home" estate in the Brahmin enclaves of Dover, Dedham or Chestnut Hill, and then of course the obligatory summer home or two on the Cape.

It's remarkable that even the Back Bay was, indeed, full of rooming houses by the mid 1960s, with many of the other townhomes carved into apartments (certainly, a few of the original people remained, but I have read and heard that it was very seedy, by today's comparison). This change was rapid, and there's more to the story than just pawning it off as part of the "white flight" - which saw white people of all social strata leave the city and move to NEW homes in the suburbs, with new and better schools - whereas the Back Bay-ers already had other residences elsewhere and their children already went to private schools anyway. Interesting...

FK -- proper Brahmins would never summer on the Cape*1 -- that was for the hoipolloi like the Kennedys

Brahmins summered on the North Shore in places like Nahant or Ipswitch, Beverly Farms or Prides Crossing

for example Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. was born July 5, 1902 in Nahant

his grandfather was born in Beverly but spent much time in the family compound in Nahant

*1 -- well OK -- some Brahmins hung out in places like Naushon island --just off the Cape proper -- which they owned -- Forbes family

This is a bit dated now, it would have been funnier 3 or 4 years ago, but the ultimate Boston t-shirt:

5FwzSpE.png

FK -- proper Brahmins would never summer on the Cape*1 -- that was for the hoipolloi like the Kennedys

Brahmins summered on the North Shore in places like Nahant or Ipswitch, Beverly Farms or Prides Crossing

for example Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. was born July 5, 1902 in Nahant

his grandfather was born in Beverly but spent much time in the family compound in Nahant

*1 -- well OK -- some Brahmins hung out in places like Naushon island --just off the Cape proper -- which they owned -- Forbes family

Yes, I was not talking about Hyannis. Falmouth and Woods Hole are full of old money, not just the Forbes out on Naushon (and they own most of the other islands:
Naushon Nonamesset/
Uncatina Weepecket/
Nashawena Penikese/
Cuttyhunk Pasque(nese),
as the rhyme goes, and only Penikese and Cuttyhunk are not owned by them (of course there are smaller named islands such as Veckitimest which are omitted from the jingle.))

Most of the Cape, even the old money parts, is actually relatively new developments... and many of the oldest (1880s) enclaves were developed by New Yorkers but attracted a substantial number of Bostonians as well. Remember, summer homes on the ocean weren't really the thing before that... wet air was bad air. Other locations, of course, were Mt Desert, Lake Winnipesaukee, etc.

This is a bit dated now, it would have been funnier 3 or 4 years ago, but the ultimate Boston t-shirt:

5FwzSpE.png

Wait, why was this more en point 4 years ago? Is there a pop culture reference I'm missing? 3-4 decades ago, I could see.

Huh.

Apparently the design is a lot older than I thought. I started seeing parody shirts everywhere few years ago but I haven't seen any recently so I thought it was a fad/meme thing. But I guess they have been around a while.

I used to be with it, but then they changed what ‘it’ was, and now what I’m with isn’t it. And what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary to me.

Yes, I was not talking about Hyannis. Falmouth and Woods Hole are full of old money, not just the Forbes out on Naushon (and they own most of the other islands:
Naushon Nonamesset/
Uncatina Weepecket/
Nashawena Penikese/
Cuttyhunk Pasque(nese),
as the rhyme goes, and only Penikese and Cuttyhunk are not owned by them (of course there are smaller named islands such as Veckitimest which are omitted from the jingle.))

Most of the Cape, even the old money parts, is actually relatively new developments... and many of the oldest (1880s) enclaves were developed by New Yorkers but attracted a substantial number of Bostonians as well. Remember, summer homes on the ocean weren't really the thing before that... wet air was bad air. Other locations, of course, were Mt Desert, Lake Winnipesaukee, etc.

The Welds rather famously built a massive rambling beach "cottage" on Indian Neck in Wareham in the 1880s. Indian Neck has always been a very exclusive Brahmin-ish enclave jutting out from downtown Wareham, which is decidedly non-bucolic.

Someone was referring to Henry Cabot Lodge Sr./Jr.--at East Point in Nahant was a "northern White House" where Cabot Lodge Sr. frequently entertained his good pal, President Teddy Roosevelt. Then, in the next, Taft Administration, Taft had a "northern White House" in Beverly, as extensively chronicled in Doris Kearns-Goodwin's "Rivals."

Back