Boston Common Overhaul

The 'plans' are being reviewed by the preservation related authorities and someone is raising a good bit of money. The Courant had details on the project many months ago.

It's mostly removing a lot of the 1960s/70s hardscape and restoring the plantings around the fountain to what the were in the 1920s. New lighting and the cost of fabricating the fence (which the desire is to run from Park Street down to restored section at Avery Street) are the most expensive parts of the project.

That is fantastic. I can't wait. I've always hated the hardscape in that area. In fact, it is a problem that plagues most of of the Common, but it is the worst there.

Good news:

Today's Courant has the Friends of the Common @ $990,000 out of the 1.5 million toward phase II of the fountain/Tremont Street landscaping improvements.

Bad news:

The disrepair of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument is also noted in the same article. The monument needs about a half million in repairs and restoration because of all the damage done by vandals, neglect, erosion over the years and decapitation followed by toppling of the bronze statues by 'peace activists' during the DNC in 2004.

City asks state to OK plans for cafes, shops to replace restrooms

By David Abel
Globe Staff / June 9, 2010

The city?s parks commissioner urged state lawmakers yesterday to approve a plan to replace long-shuttered bathrooms on Boston Common and in the Back Bay Fens with outdoor cafes, bicycle rental companies, or other businesses.

At a hearing before the Joint Committee on Municipalities and Regional Government, Antonia M. Pollak, commissioner of the Boston Parks and Recreation Department, sought legislative support so the city can begin soliciting bids on what would be a multimillion-dollar restoration of two landmarks.

She also asked the Legislature to grant the city the right to lease the properties for up to 25 years. The city is restricted from leasing such properties for more than three years.

?In these difficult economic times, parks agencies are trying to find models that will ensure our parks will be clean, green, and safe in the future,?? she told lawmakers in her prepared remarks.

?Positive uses like park-related vending can assist with this goal.??

After the hearing yesterday, Representative Paul Donato, a Medford Democrat who chairs the committee, said he expects lawmakers will approve the project. He said the House could vote within the next few weeks.

It will then have to be approved by the Senate and the governor.

?Everyone I?ve spoken to is excited about the opportunity to turn these buildings into new venues to bring more activity and vitality to the parks,?? he said.

If approved, the project would allow entrepreneurs to develop the 90-year-old, octagon-shaped Pink Palace near Tremont and Boylston streets on the Boston Common and the 113-year-old stone Duck House on Agassiz Road in the Fens.

The proposal has received support from city officials, but would need approval from city and state landmark authorities once the final plans are approved, Pollak said.

In a statement earlier this year, Mayor Thomas M. Menino said he hopes the proposal ?will attract local chefs and organizations to lease the buildings on the landmark Emerald Necklace and Boston Common to provide new, unique concessions for Boston?s residents and visitors alike.??

Both structures are small and would not accommodate large restaurants.

The Pink Palace, which traces its name to the color in its masonry, is just 660 square feet.

The Duck House, which was designed by Alexander M. Longfellow, a nephew of the poet, is only 535 square feet.

Link

^^The city will lease the space, so it will still be owned by the public.

It still is a public space, it's just that one spot within it has been leased to a private company which will do business with the public. No different than granting licenses to hot dog stands to sit on sidewalks on a yearly basis.

The whole argument over privatizing public space is overblown in this case. Can anyone argue that a decrepit public toilet which would be unusable even in maintained conditions due to a variety of social factors is better than a lively restaurant?

Has there been significant debate over privatization thus far? I was unaware it was an issue, let alone overblown one.

When they start installing these, then we'll know there's been a lack of a privatization debate:

http://popupcity.net/2010/06/pay-sit-privatized-benches-in-public-space/

This will either reduce homeless sleeping on benches, or increase panhandling.

I'd like to see what the deaf have to say about this. And I'll love it when someone "trips", falls, loses an eye, and sues. Oh, and the drunks trying to rip the change box off in the middle of the night.

Not to mention the alarm is pretty brief, no room for error, lol.

Is that from the German equivalent of the Onion?

Reminds me of the "Throw them in the iron maiden" bit in Bill & Ted's.

4725661635_a5be06610e_b.jpg

4726307430_ae3066818e_b.jpg

Boston Globe - September 16, 2010
The Common may go corporate
Group hires consultant who secured funds for NYC park

By Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff | September 16, 2010

The cracked concrete, missing bricks, and growing patches of bald earth on Boston Common have pushed boosters to consider a new initiative: tapping corporations to sponsor repairs and improvements to America?s first park.

Picture a neatly planted flower bed with a discreet sign crediting a bank for the blossoms. A petite placard alerting park-goers that the Common?s new WiFi comes compliments of a prominent software company. Or an engraved stone subtly attributing a refurbished plaza ? with chess boards, moveable tables and chairs, and a portable lending library ? to the generosity of a national department store.

?We think the time has come,?? said Henry Lee, president of the Friends of the Public Garden, which also advocates for the Common. ?Given the state of the park, given the state of the economy, we have to do this in a modest, careful, appropriate way.??

For the past year, the Friends group has employed a prominent New York City parks consultant with a knack for securing corporate sponsorships. Daniel A. Biederman helped pull Manhattan?s Bryant Park back from the brink of urban decay in the 1970s. The dynamic green on 42d Street now teems with innovative activities from ping-pong to ice skating, underwritten with checks from such companies as Google and Southwest Airlines.

The push to emulate some of the Manhattan ideas in Boston has not moved beyond discussions, but the effort to find corporate partners has already won the qualified support of key local power brokers, including Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Michael P. Ross, City Council president. It underscores a new fiscal reality in which shrinking budgets have forced municipalities to embrace creative sources of revenue.

While no major sponsorships have been inked, Biederman said he is in serious talks with a corporation ? which he would not disclose ? about helping pay for more improvements near the recently refurbished Brewer Fountain along Tremont Street.

?This company is a huge national company you?ve heard of,?? Biederman said last week as he walked on the Common, stepping on black asphalt patched over broken concrete. ?They have to get back a little bit of credit, but where I?ve worked with them elsewhere it?s been very, very restrained. And they?ve given a lot of money.??

Credit in Bryant Park comes on small porcelain signs in flower beds, on umbrellas with a corporate logo, and in the outdoor Reading Room, where green shelves say ?sponsored by HSBC Bank.??

?Biederman did a nice job in New York. Is that replicable here? We have to see. Boston is not New York,?? Menino said in a recent interview. ?Would I support little attributes saying this crosswalk is sponsored by Millennium Partners? I probably could support that in a tasteful way. But I?m not going to have banners hanging all around the Common and making it a circus atmosphere.??

Purchased in 1634 when each Boston household kicked in at least six shillings, the Common has endured as shared space. It remains Boston?s largest stage, hosting military exercises and religious revivals, political rallies, and concerts. Headliners have varied from George Washington to singer Judy Garland to Pope John Paul II to the evangelical preacher Billy Graham.

The extraordinary use has always outweighed the care, Lee said, even before the most recent recession. In the past two years, almost $1 million was cut from the city?s Parks and Recreation Department, which now has an annual budget of just over $15 million.

In addition to corporate sponsors, Lee wants the city to charge upkeep fees to film crews and the more than 250 groups a year that hold events on the Common, from Sarah Palin and the Tea Party Express to the annual Freedom Rally to legalize marijuana.

Event organizers and movie makers are required to pay park rangers and clean-up crews, but they are not charged fees to offset wear and tear, though some make voluntary donations. Film crews, for example, give about $60,000 annually for work done in all city parks.

?No one wants to see the Common become overly commercialized,?? said Ross, who led a City Council trip to New York City in 2008 to several green spaces, including Bryant Park, where they met Biederman. ?I don?t believe that?s a threat here. It?s not an either-or proposition. We can do more on the Common.??

Any changes to the Common must be approved by the city?s Parks and Recreation Department and the Landmarks Commission. Watchdogs such as the Boston Preservation Alliance expressed openness to the concept on a modest scale.

?In the initial stages, we would prefer to see something temporary as opposed to something permanent,?? said Sarah Kelly, executive director. ?Some of this is obviously experimental. You want to test out what is or isn?t going to work.??

Subtle touches of commercialization are already present on the Common. There are the Lily Pad Cafe near the Frog Pond and a 1,300-space underground parking garage operated by the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority. The Boys & Girls Clubs collects monthly rent from three dozen vending carts, netting an annual profit of about $125,000, of which 60 percent goes to the parks department, said Patricia Gannon, chief financial officer of the Boys & Girls Club.

The Friends of the Public Garden administers a memorial bench and tree program, which includes a plaque with the name of the donors. To raise money for the imminent $1.4 million overhaul of the plaza around Brewer Fountain, the asking price is $5,000 per tree and $25,000 per bench.

Both the Friends and Biederman declined to disclose how much his consulting firm is being paid for the work on the Common.

Earlier this week, a private tour guide clad in a tricorn hat and tan breeches stood on a dusty patch of dirt as he regaled tourists with stories of the American Revolution. At the foot of a nearby pin oak, a small plaque noted that the tree had been donated by Paper Mills Inc. honoring the ?environmental excellence?? of Staples.

?We are constantly bombarded by advertisements, and I feel like a park should be a place to ease your mind,?? Chlo? Oldfather, a 21-year-old student at Suffolk University, said as she sat nearby on a green bench with broken slates. ?There is obviously a need, but people also need a sanctuary from the constant chatter.??

Andrew Ryan can be reached at acryan@globe.com.

This is a recipe for graft and other assorted shenanigans.

shopping districts gave way to malls, markets to supermarkets, and now parks.... If Bryant Park is the model for the future of America's urban parks I fear for this country. Freedom of speech is a funny thing; corporate rights to control speech outweigh an individual's right to make it. It only freely exists in public space--actual, virtual, or otherwise--anywhere else you are just staying in between someone else's limits

More private-owned ventures on public land. Perhaps if anonymous comes through with an offer of another merry-go-round everyone will start to like this?

I honestly think the fear of corporations being benefactors of public space is overblown. How many parks and libraries did Carnegie fund? The idea of private entities being patrons of public institutions has been around forever. I don't see the problem beyond the money being paid twice (once by taxpayers and again by private entities) to do the same basic job while some union or political hack is pocketing half of it.

I honestly think the fear of corporations being benefactors of public space is overblown. How many parks and libraries did Carnegie fund? The idea of private entities being patrons of public institutions has been around forever. I don't see the problem beyond the money being paid twice (once by taxpayers and again by private entities) to do the same basic job while some union or political hack is pocketing half of it.

Andrew Carnegie, not Carnegie Steel.... there's a big difference there.

Back