Boston Conservatory

4457966443_f7cfcc7ec0_b.jpg

4458746448_26b5c23b26_b.jpg

Boston Conservatory is holding a grand opening of its new building this week. Admission to the 'Opening Note' musical production requires a $35 ticket, but tours of the new building are free Friday and Saturday afternoon.

That's cool! Two of my friends live next door (one of whose bedroom window is in the photo, directly above the door to the right of the building). I think they had issues with noise during non-work hours (before 7AM or after 8PM or on weekends) at first, but they were rectified pretty quickly. I imagine that it's probably a bit quieter without the parking lot there.

Isn't the shiny-panelling-coupled-with-glass-equals-modern aesthetic ready to die already? This construction looks dated from the get-go. It's not bad so much as it is underambitious.

Shepard said:
Isn't the shiny-panelling-coupled-with-glass-equals-modern aesthetic ready to die already?

No. ALUCOBOND MUST NEVER DIE!!

The addition looks great. It's the old part of the building (this of all things gets preserved?) that ruins the look.

It's really chunky, as in it kind of overwhelms the street with its sheer-rise blockiness. There are some walk-ups nearby which approach its height, but none on it's side of the block and as a result it sticks out a bit too much. Walking up or down Hemmenway, it's impossible to not notice it.

A significant academic building alongside brownstones is going to stand out. I think it does so in a fairly benign way. The scale is not overwhelming and as others have alluded, its a pretty restrained design--maybe a bit too restrained. But I like it.

Back