Boston Department Store Blog

charles65ofboston

Reaction score
Hello Group!
I am still new here but have been enjoying the posts very much.
The photography of some of the places I knew well when I lived in Boston is great....kz1000ps has done some excellent pics of Wheelock College where I went to school in the 1980's.
I have begun to put together a new blog all about the stores of Boston that are no longer with us. A bit of history mixed with nostalgia.
Yes....a bit sappy but fun!!
I know it will not be for everyone....some people think the past is the past.
I would love to have lots of folks contribute their memories and photos to the new blog.
Photos of then and now would be great. Old Globe or Herald newspaper adverts from the big stores as well would be very nice.
I would love to hear from anyone out there interested in this project.
Please write me at:

charles65ofboston@yahoo.com

Welcome Cam,

I haven't much to offer, but I look forward to reading the blog. Be sure to post a link when you have it all set up.

Thanks very much and I shall put up the link very soon. A few more posts are needed to fill it out a bit:)

I'm certainly interested in reading this, though I don't have much to offer. Stores that downtown Boston used to have, but no longer does: Jordan Marsh (now Macy's), Filene's, Kennedy's (facade remains), Gilchrist's (now The Corner Mall), Woolworth (now TJ Maxx/H&M/Marshall's), WT Grant (became Barnes & Noble, now closed), RH Stearns (now residential), RH White, Raymond's, Henry Siegel (became RKO Boston theatre, now closed) ....

You might even want to throw in the Harvard Coop's fairly recent transformation from a small full-line department store to one that sells primarily books and Harvard/MIT insignia items. Books used to be in the back, other stuff in front; now it's the other way round. I still remember when they had a Men's Suits department.

Also, the closing (and redevelopment) of Sears in Porter Square and Fenway, and the closing of other locally-based department stores that were not located in downtown Boston: Lechmere Sales, Bradlees, Parke Snow, Grover Cronin (Waltham), Almy's, and Zayre.

True Ron, I recall the Harvard Coop very well. Wheelock College used the Coop in the Longwood area for it's text books back then and I got a Coop card in 1983 and had a rather small limit. I used to shop in both the Harvard Sq. Coop and the Longwood one...got my very first VCR there.
The clothing section in both locations was fairly large as well as all sorts of electrical stuff.
I loved the wonderful record...yes... record dept. on the second floor of the rear building over the sky bridge from the main building.
There are lots of things to add to my new blog!
Please keep thinking and sharing.
Thanks!!!!:)

Just finished writing up part one of my memories from around 1968 about trips into the downtown Boston of my youth. I am trying to get as many details in as possible about the store buildings and what they looked like and what new construction was going on at the time in the Washington Street shopping area.
Some things I can recall as clear as a bell. I hope when you visit the new blog it will help bring your own memories back or fill in any gaps if you are new to the Boston area.
Let me know.....
Charles.....aka cam:)

Where is the new blog?

Another thing I recall -- downtown department stores usually closed very early in the evening (6 pm?), staying open late only on certain days (Mondays and Wednesdays, I think?). And of course everything was closed on Sundays.

The Harvard Coop also had very restricted hours for much too long, staying open only on Thursday nights. This was one of the things that caused its downfall as a department store.

Last edited:
There's a small store in Wellesley that claims the mantle "department store" - I think it's called E.A. Davis? Might be worth considering.

I have just completed part 2 of my 1968 shopping day in Boston.
I was going to do just two parts but in order to add the details and information I am finding three parts more to my needs:)
Please visit the blog. I hope people will enjoy it and want to contribute their own memories, newspaper adverts and the much needed photos of the buildings, both inside and out.
Write me with your memories and I shall add them to a post.

Charles...aka .....cam

My blog:

http://shoppingdaysinretroboston.blogspot.com/

Hello Group! Thanks to those who have come to the new blog and had a look.
I have just posted a little tribute to the "Big" Woolworth's that was on the corner of Franklin and Washington Streets from 1970 until the mid-90's.
It was the one department store I can say I saw being built and "talked up " in the media in the Washington Street shopping area.
Have a peek and feel free to write me at:

Update

Hello Folks!
I have done a long overdue update on the blog.

I was feeling low since I have not had many emails or offers of memories or photos, etc. But came upon some great pics and got the OK to use them from the family of the late photographer.
Any folks who wish to contribute any items for the blog or have some time to locate old newspaper ads from the BPL just let me know....I would love it!!!
Fingers crossed as always:)

Charles................

WT Grant Co. Boston

Hello group!
As part of my continuing presentation of the wonderful work of Nick Dewolf, I have posted a little tribute to the WT Grant Co. that was on Washington Street for many years. Nick took some cool interior and exterior photos of Xmas shopping in Boston in 1970.
A retro explosion:)
Enjoy and please do visit my blog at:

Feedback and help always enjoyed:)

Charles:)

Grant's reopened as Barnes & Noble. I believe it was the first B&N outside of New York City. It is very sad to see this building vacant today.

Thanks Ron!

Yes Ron, Grant's became B&N and lasted over 30 years in the location.
B&N did not really change the interior too much and when B&N launched there in 1975 it still felt a lot like Grant's.
Most of the five and dime stores of downtown Boston had a two floor plan like Grant's.

Keep talking:)

What other former five-and-dime stores are still standing, and how are they being used today?

Five and Dimes of Boston

Hey Ron,
In my years in Boston I was aware of a few that are still standing...I think...at least of as around the year 2000 or so.

There was Grant's and....

The BIG Woolworth's built in 1969...launched in september 1970 is still there on the corner of Washington and Franklin. Converted into multi-shops by now.
A smaller pre-1970 Woolworth's was on the corner of Tremont St. and Hamilton Place....became a CVS for many years...may still be.
The other locations of downtown Woolworth's have been torn down so far as I know.

Kresge's on the corner of Temple Place and Washington Street was closed in the late 80's and I think the building is still there...not sure what it is.

Neisners five and dime was on Washington Street with another main door on Bromfield Street. It was super cool because of the "L" shape and had a fantastic lunch-soda counter on the Bromfield Street side. It became Sherman's Appliances(now closed-some other business is located there) on the Bromfield side and Wendie's Hamburgers on the Washington St. side. I am not sure what is there now.

Hope that helps:)

My Blog has photos of some of the above....have a peek:)

Back