Boston - Halifax overnight ferry

BostonUrbEx

Reaction score
Sounds interesting to me.

However, it claims due to the current economy it is holding off.

http://boston-halifax-ferry.com/

The market is waiting. The Boston-Halifax sea link continues to receive positive response from the public - from prospective users as well as those interested in fostering the close relationship that the cities and regions we will serve have. The cruise ferry will emphasize affordable cost , comfort, and convenience while offering all the elements of a short cruise vacation. At a lower cost than air fares and without the gruelling drive, this overnight cruise ferry will increase options for recreational and vacationing individuals, as well as for business people and commercial truck traffic.

The overnight ferry will depart each port in the afternoon and arrive in the morning at the other, with layover in either port during the day. This will give the traveler a sense of a "floating motel" in which much of the trip can be done while sleeping. Existing travel services often require hotel links on either or both ends, consuming extra travel time and additional cost. Should you want to bring your own car, ship layover will also allow vehicles to drive onto the waiting ship, instead of queuing up in assembly parking areas. Leaving the ship will also be less frantic due to on-board clearances and convenient parking layout.

The initial service will make 3 round trips per week from each port. The ship will be passenger friendly and include a variety of food services, conference centers, stores, customs and immigration clearing, controlled gambling and shopping. The amenities will be aimed at traveler ease, convenience and transportation service.

Docking locations are planned in the downtown core areas of the regional centers of both Boston and Halifax.
This downtown to downtown connection provides access to ground transportation networks and gives the
maximum number of potential users the shortest access distances to/from the ferry.

In Boston, the targeted location is at the City-owned
Wharf 8 (Pier 5) in developing South Boston, near
downtown. A contingent agreement with the City
(through BRA) was made, and it is expected that the
understandings reached will positively influence the
ultimate location in South Boston. The terminal
arrangements will have to be refined to meet the
features of the ship acquired for the service.

The location provides immediate access to the Interstate
System, Logan Airport, and public transportation. The
adjacent area development includes fish processing
establishments, the Boston Convention Center, World
Trade Center, office buildings, hotels, cruise ship
terminal, Design Center, and many other facilities and
amenities.

wharf8.aerial-278x278.jpg

Discussions have been held with the Halifax Port Authority
(HPA) for a new location in the south end of Halifax near the
Ocean Terminals, as shown pictorially to the right. Prospects
appear very good for a terminal site in this area, which would
serve both passenger and vehicle access needs. As soon as the
specific dimensions and docking needs of the ferry ship are
determined, the facilities can also be defined and agreed upon.

Halifax.Seawall-280x201.jpg

Potential 1,300 passenger capacity on 600 foot ship averaging 25 MPH. All passengers will have a room, including 350 standard rooms (2-4 bunks), suites, and economy rooms. Comes in at $150 per passenger.

Thoughts? I think it sounds pretty good. The distance to Halifax seems so close, I mean, how doesn't this already exist?

Anyone been to Halifax? It looks really nice. Is it worth spending a few days?

Frankly, at a mere glance, I think something more along the lines of the CAT would be incredibly successful. A speedy voyage could do nicely. I'd expect Halifax especially to be putting money in on this.

I like the sound of this. I've been to Halifax 2x and each time I had to drive up to Maine to do so (overnight from portland and CAT from bar harbor). It's a great little town and the rest of Nova Scotia is pretty nice as well. Very similar to the Maine coat in a lot of respects (similar physical appearance and focus on maritime/fishing history). The city itself is fairly small but easily walkable and has a historic fort in the middle of it up on the hill. What I was particularly impressed by was the amount of history between the two cities (i.e. why we get our city x-mas tree from them) and the very favorable opinion they have of us. Lovely little city that makes good use of its waterfront.

I would definitely give it a try once. Does Halifax require a car?

This has been proposed for years, and I don't understand why it hasn't come to fruition yet. I assume that a bicycle would be fine for getting around Halifax (either bring your own or rent it there)

Halifax is pretty small and you could definitely walk or bike it, getting anywhere out of the city will require a car though and there are some great places to visit for natural scenery (Peggy's Cove, Cape Breton etc.)

it would be a smart move for the ferry to co-market with a rental car operator in Halifax.

Halifax is hot spot on the plan by the Martime Primiers to regenerate the local economy with a focus on Innovation and Knowledge Industry -- they are investing on the university side, wide band fiber optic connections and such

We already have some commerce links (not for people);
1) weekly connection between Boston and Halifax for shipping containers
2) Hibernia II -- at the time of construction the absolute highest capacity transoceanic fiberlink in the wold between Boston and London via:
Lynn, Essex County, Massachusetts, USA 42°27′33.8″N 70°57′38.2″W
Herring Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada 44°33′41.2″N 63°33′40.1″W
Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland Sutton (from Herring Cove)/Baldoyle (to Ainsdale Sands)53°24′40.1″N 6°12′58.4″W
Southport(Ainsdale Sands), Merseyside, UK53°37′38.5″N 2°59′4.7″W

The ferry would be a nice way to get to/from Halifax -- particularly in the Spring - Autum -- not so sure about Nov 1 - Apr 15

not so sure about Nov 1 - Apr 15

Correct me if I am wrong, but Halifax is in a better position to receive warm Gulf Stream waters than Boston. So it may be equivalent to Boston in the winter, despite being to the north, but a little bit cooler in the summer?

Anyways, I have to say this does sound very nice. I'd definitely like to try this when it gets running, especially if they get a bike share up there, or at least allow bikes aboard the ship (if they takes cars, they must, right? But I suppose I can always break down and take the car, see some of the country up there...). Is the downtown very lively? Would you equate it to Newburyport in the summer? Portland?

I never realized how Halifax is pretty much the prime spot for trans-Atlantic shipping. Halifax and Boston should really grab alot more from Atlantic shipping, they're in the best positions for it for their respective countries and have good rail potential.

I'd really like to get to know more about this place, really seems nice for an isolated little city.

Back in the late 80s, I drove up to Portland to get the ferry to Halifax. We drove around Nova Scotia - the coast roads takes you right around the Province. It certainly is a puzzle that they've never had a direct Boston-Halifax ferry. It's really a fantastic vacation spot, assuming you don't need hot sun and beaches everywhere.

Too bad this is at least a year away--we're going to Halifax with our three young kids next month, and I'm not looking forward to the 12 hour car ride.

At least we'll get to spend some time in Moncton...

I have waited for this for years, we have been teased with visits by the Cat ferry to Boston touting the service between Maine and Nova Scotia for a while so it's great to finally have plans announced to start service

Halifax is a great little town. It's only about 250,000 people (many of whom live across Halifax Harbour in Dartmouth), so it's very compact and it has a pretty good bus system. You could almost look at it like a less grittier, whiter version of Providence. The two are very similar in many respects, though Halifax makes better use of its waterfront.

The city is fairly compact and a car is not a necessity if you just plan to do a weekend in the city, though the waterfront is set at the bottom of one hell of a hill, so those with plans to bike should either be prepared to walk their bikes a fair bit or be strong cyclists. Longer visits would require a car and, as mentioned, there are some lovely little villages nearby that you can't bike to, so if you prefer not to bring a car, plan on renting one for a day.

Nova Scotia is a very pretty place, in general. The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton is home so one of the most picturesque drives in North America, and Cape Breton is home to a unique, very Scottish/Irish culture, as well as some Acadian communities like Chéticamp. And when driving through some of these remote areas with vast open spaces, it's worth reflecting that Nova Scotia is Canada's second most densely populated province(!).

I personally would be thrilled if there was a way I could combine a trip to Boston with a side-trip to Halifax without either an additional expensive plane ticket or a car rental.

Back