Boston in the Seventies (the 18-70's)

The Kenmore brick screams "seventies!" to me, not "nineteenth century!"

I would imagine that underlayment is the key to a good sidewalk, as it is for a good road. For years many New Hampshire roads seemed to be in much better shape than those in Mass. because of the deeper and multiple layers of underlayment before any asphalt was laid, which prevented frost heaves, cracking and a host of other issues. I would imagine the industrious Quebecois learned long ago to put down the right layers of underlayment before their paving stones.

Regarding brick for sidewalks: recall the sit-down demonstrations from the 1950's when the city of Boston threatened to tear up the "dangerous" brick sidewalks of Beacon Hill. The "Grandes Dames" of the Hill made quite a fuss and the brick was left in place. Brick was indeed used for sidewalks for centuries, though one might make the argument that it is being over-used now in the name of "place identity."

Not quite 1870s, but Myles Standish Hall on Beacon by Kenmore used to have street activity. I remember reading online about how it was assumed that shops existed at the base, but there was no proof....

IMG_7518.jpg

IMG_7519.jpg

IMG_7520.jpg

Would definitely be cool to bring back some of the other neon ads in Kenmore.

Would definitely be cool to bring back some of the other neon ads in Kenmore.

I believe that, with the exception of the a select few grand-parented (is that the PC term now?) neon signs (Citgo, Symphony, etc.), neon is excluded from all exterior signage as a result of Puritanical outrage over the Combat Zone.

Interior neon, including in windows, is still allowed.

I remember the White Fuel sign from when I was a student. Why did BU stop commercially renting out Myles Standish storefronts?

The last photo shows a little bit of the CITGO sign's predecessor, the Cities Service sign.

neon is excluded from all exterior signage as a result of Puritanical outrage over the Combat Zone.
Another thing about Boston that needs changing.

(Maybe they could ban the color purple.)

Let's not be too hasty here.

Purple is the color of royalty. Do we really want that disgusting symbol of imperialism splattered all over our fine city (the birthplace of liberty, no less!)?

I say Down With Purple!

You guys have a fetishistic obsession with billboards and neon signs. Not that I don't appreciate them, but I guess I'm too young to even make the conceptual connection between Boston and neon without my head exploding.

Also, don't blame latent "Puritanism" for the demise of smut in Boston, blame the internet. And yuppies!

I remember the White Fuel sign from when I was a student. Why did BU stop commercially renting out Myles Standish storefronts?

The last photo shows a little bit of the CITGO sign's predecessor, the Cities Service sign.

The area closest to kenmore is an expanded dining hall.

The area down from that is a study area / mailroom / RA office.

What they should have done is make the facade better. Its terrible, concrete with metal bars, and maybe left the shop at the beacon/bay state split

Back