Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

Re: New Brighton Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

Move theater would be great here. But they still really need to just bulldoze everything around here.

I live a block from the NB complex. There are a lot of things in the area that are worth keepimg.

At the neighborhood meeting for the residential tonight:

(1) people don't like how the side of the building that is 17 stories tall looks; rendering isn't in the PNF, but I somewhat agree. Many believed the building needs balconies, which I don't quite agree with.

(2) lots of pushback against the height in the belief that it will create precedent for the area. They don't want height on the Stop & Shop or Volvo sites. NB pointed out their hotel is already approved at 18 stories and 205 feet.

(3) At the November BAIA meeting, someone presented 26 Hichborn Street: Developer seeks to build 20 unit development with 16 three bedrooms, 4 two bedrooms, 56 total bedrooms, 16 parking spaces. This parcel directly abuts Boston Landing. I wasn't at that meeting, but it would be interesting to see how these work together. The PNF makes it look like they would need to take out 34 Hichborn to connect Guest Street to N Beacon via the Hichborn Street Extension. That is a single family that is owner-occupied. It would be lovely to make that connection.

(4) New Balance really needs Stop & Shop to announce some plans for their property. All of NB's traffic projections are based on having a road through Stop & Shop's property to Everett Street. Many people claiming it is isolated from the neighborhood (as if NB can force its neighbors to develop). Having something to point to showing the long-term plan for a neighbor would help a lot with this process.

NB pointed out their hotel is already approved at 18 stories and 205 feet.

Interesting. That's a pretty large hotel especially for the area. I wonder what they are thinking in terms of timing. In past experience with this project is any indication, they will wait to break ground on the hotel once the residential is 50-75% complete. Hopefully I am wrong. This area could use a decent hotel.

Well, the scientology church is moving in right across the pike, so that's one source of customers...

Well, the scientology church is moving in right across the pike, so that's one source of customers...

You win the internet today.

For some reason, the photos of the victims (or more specifically, their shoes sticking out from under the blankets) seem more sad and shocking to me today than they did in 1997.

You win the internet today.

For some reason, the photos of the victims (or more specifically, their shoes sticking out from under the blankets) seem more sad and shocking to me today than they did in 1997.

I really tried to see how this is related but it seems like a total non-sequitur. The only thing I could think of is that they all wore the same type of shoes when they killed themselves, but the shoes were Nike, not NB.

:confused::confused:

Interesting. That's a pretty large hotel especially for the area. I wonder what they are thinking in terms of timing. In past experience with this project is any indication, they will wait to break ground on the hotel once the residential is 50-75% complete. Hopefully I am wrong. This area could use a decent hotel.

While the hotel is tall, it is 175 keys, so 11-12 rooms per floor, which to my understanding is on the lower end of what one sees in new towers. It will be rather slender.

The only hint they gave about timing was that they expect the hotel to finish simultaneously with the sports complex. Whatever that means...

They also said they expect the rink to open September 1, 2016. This may provide some guidance to timelines for other projects since I expect them to just redeploy equipment when possible; plus the fact that most future phases of the project are currently being used as construction parking for the current phase.

(1) people don't like how the side of the building that is 17 stories tall looks; rendering isn't in the PNF, but I somewhat agree. Many believed the building needs balconies, which I don't quite agree with.

BCDC Presentation on the BRA site has the rendering I was talking about.

hPR32AJ.jpg

Another view.

4ofimMs.jpg

The office building is damn good.

I hate to do this ... but I agree. Not that I do like agreeing with you Barb ... just that I am not always a fan of the design firm that produced this.

cca

I really tried to see how this is related but it seems like a total non-sequitur. The only thing I could think of is that they all wore the same type of shoes when they killed themselves, but the shoes were Nike, not NB.

:confused::confused:

Psst he was thinking of scientology, not new balance. It was a tangent/thread derailment.

From 3/5

Back