Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

My bar for what constitutes justified eminent domain is pretty high. But man, the more this area gets built up, the more 34 Hichborn looks ripe for removal to complete this street grid.

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 11.17.36 PM.png

I think the neighborhood would be better served by a ped/bike path between Hichborn and the alley beside Lantera, not a traditional road. Not a pocket park (though that'd be nice), but a connector adjacent to a new build. Connecting the existing roads would likely encourage drivers to speed down a long straightaway, plus the elbow in Hichborn and the service alley behind Lantera means adding t-junction crosswalks that'll be totally ignored during peak hours.

I think the neighborhood would be better served by a ped/bike path between Hichborn and the alley beside Lantera, not a traditional road. Not a pocket park (though that'd be nice), but a connector adjacent to a new build. Connecting the existing roads would likely encourage drivers to speed down a long straightaway, plus the elbow in Hichborn and the service alley behind Lantera means adding t-junction crosswalks that'll be totally ignored during peak hours.
I respectfully disagree. While I'm a proponent of shared streets, paseos, and non traditional streets in most urban contexts, I think the 38 Hichborn Street development proposal's choice to directly connect a Hichborn Extension to Lantera site will be best for the neighborhood. Right now between Market Street and Everett Street there are literally no North-South streets in this part of Brighton to get you south of N. Beacon Street from Guest Street/Boston Landing. Activating one-way Dustin Street (which becomes Hichborn Street) all the way to Guest Street could meaningfully reduce trips on Market & Everett Streets by providing that directionally-sensible link. Similarly, I think the Life Street intersection at N. Beacon Street can (and should) absorb the dozen parking spaces at CORT Furniture Clearance Center to give a seamless one-way southbound trip through to Etna Street. Based on the development patterns happening in the neighborhood, the furniture showroom's , car dealership(s)', and other light industrial businesses' days along N. Beacon Street are numbered anyway. Connecting the streets in a way that reduces vehicular turning moments and traffic signal idling--and maximizes throughput of people and goods--is better for all in the neighborhood, no matter their mode.

38 Hichborn is a good proposal.

All the new housing going up nearby should make this area much more vibrant. Allston yards, too. It's good that another commercial district is already in place there.

From originally planned as office to lab?

New Balance’s development arm has sold another piece of its Boston Landing campus, this time for a life sciences project. JLL Capital Markets, which represents New Balance affiliate NB Development Group, said on Wednesday that the $67 million sale of just over one acre of land at 60 Guest St. has been completed. The buyer is a partnership of Australia-based Lendlease and Ivanhoe Cambridge, a Canadian real estate firm. The property is approved for a nine-story building with up to 320,000 square feet of office and lab uses, with an estimated completion date of 2024.
Squib in the Globe.

Google maps has 60 Guest St as the parking garage, but the site appears to be diagonally across the street and is being used for construction staging. Assessed for $6.5 million; 50,000 square feet.

From originally planned as office to lab?

Squib in the Globe.

Google maps has 60 Guest St as the parking garage, but the site appears to be diagonally across the street and is being used for construction staging. Assessed for $6.5 million; 50,000 square feet.

They already made the leap to lab space for the building attached to the Auerbach Center.

I think that will wrap up Boston Landing, save for the prodigal hotel tower. Hard to call it anything but a success - it's inspired two adjacent imitators, probably plus a third whenever Boston Volvo Village accepts the inevitable and sells off (I think Volvo's headed toward not having dealerships and selling their cars online at the corporate level, so it's really just a matter of time).

For the 89th time in this 11 year old thread, what's up with the hotel? Is that completely dead? Yes, I realize hotels are getting killed right now but by the time a hotel in this development could be built, it will be a different world.

They already made the leap to lab space for the building attached to the Auerbach Center.

I think that will wrap up Boston Landing, save for the prodigal hotel tower. Hard to call it anything but a success - it's inspired two adjacent imitators, probably plus a third whenever Boston Volvo Village accepts the inevitable and sells off (I think Volvo's headed toward not having dealerships and selling their cars online at the corporate level, so it's really just a matter of time).

It's a successful little corporate enclave, or it likely will be again someday.

It's entirely debatable whether a Lowe's would have been more a net-positive for the existing neighborhood than Boston Landing.

Curious - is the intent to move most of the big track events from the Reggie Lewis Center to this new building? Progress is progress, but it would be a shame for Roxbury to lose that little feather in it's cap.

Curious - is the intent to move most of the big track events from the Reggie Lewis Center to this new building? Progress is progress, but it would be a shame for Roxbury to lose that little feather in it's cap.

There is plenty of demand for both to operate with Reggie maintaining plenty of business.

Boston Globe said:
Bostonians who have longed for live music over the past year have something new to look forward to: An indoor music venue capable of hosting as many as 3,500 people is set to open in the spring of 2022 in the fast-growing Allston-Brighton neighborhood.

Roadrunner, named for the classic rock ‘n’ roll song by the Modern Lovers inspired by local roadways, is now under construction at Boston Landing, adjacent to the state-of-the-art sports arena called the TRACK at new balance, which is scheduled to open in the fall. Roadrunner will be the latest Boston venue for The Bowery Presents, the concert promoters that own and operate The Sinclair in Harvard Square and operate Royale in Boston’s Theater District.

Back