Boston Marine Industrial Park trolley stop

PaulC

Reaction score
The Economic Development and Industrial Corporation of Boston (“EDIC”) is requesting a *Request for Proposals (“RFP”) to qualified vendors, to operate a trolley stop within the Boston Marine Industrial Park (“BMIP”) in South Boston, MA, for the purpose of servicing Port of Call visitors associated with cruise ship activity, scheduled to occur, at the Massachusetts Port Authority owned and operated Black Falcon Cruise Terminal, during the upcoming 2015 season.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...ail&utm_term=0_f1dd6a69b7-8abafc3882-32317721

I would assume "trolley" is some sort of internal administrative catch-all for all business activity related to the officially-licensed tourist shuttles.

I'm surprised they haven't been serving Black Falcoln all along. You'd think the private shuttles would've been pounding on the BRA's door 10 years ago asking for official route status to be granted to the terminal.

Doesn't SL2 serve the cruise terminal?

Doesn't SL2 serve the cruise terminal?

It does. But that's not the same as the for-profit touristy operators who go along the waterfront and sell whole tour packages to the out-of-towners with their shuttle services. They get their official route status blessed by the BRA. Since the cruise ships are a big revenue stream for them on their stopovers these operators need the officially sanctioned access to Black Falcoln.

I'm just a little surprised that hasn't been the deal all along.

Oh, I couldn't figure out what they were referring to, at first - I assumed a "food trolley".

Having a tourist trolley there makes great sense.

Of course, is it "fair" that only one company gets the right to do so? (Yes, it makes money for the BRA but ...) (And, isn't it interesting that the BRA gets to decide - they own the land but MassPort runs the terminal, I guess? Weird.)

I've taken two cruises from there over the years plus run through there on cruise day and it's very empty of any food/retail, presumably on purpose? Not sure why they wouldn't have some vendors on the street. I don't think there is any inside the actual terminal, no? There's a couple soda machines but that's it. And, I'm not thinking of just the passengers here. I see a lot of (what I assume to be, based on ethnicity) crew members sitting on the grass using their cell phones and relaxing. They probably don't have the time/money to go into town so having something there would be good.

I've taken two cruises from there over the years plus run through there on cruise day and it's very empty of any food/retail, presumably on purpose? Not sure why they wouldn't have some vendors on the street. I don't think there is any inside the actual terminal, no? There's a couple soda machines but that's it. And, I'm not thinking of just the passengers here. I see a lot of (what I assume to be, based on ethnicity) crew members sitting on the grass using their cell phones and relaxing. They probably don't have the time/money to go into town so having something there would be good.

There's a little more than it appears at first glance in the area, although none of it is obvious or visible to cruise passengers or the public, it's all basically just catering to breakfast/lunch for workers.

There's the Drydock Cafe in the building right at the park entrance on Drydock Ave, there's an Au Bon Pain in the middle of the big building north of the cruise terminal (North side) and there's Scola's Cafe hiding in 88 Black Falcon (South side). There's also Pete's Dockside in the 12 Channel building and the Dunkin Donuts in the Harbor Place building.

Yasss.

You know what they need to put there, as well, is a Hubway station. From memory, the only one nearby is on the other side of the Design building, so I think few people know about it. (I saw one couple getting on bikes, no helmets, flipflops, OY.) Those might get some people to try them out.

Back