Boston Nightlife

kennedy

Reaction score
Anyone else feel like it's severely lacking?

I picked a random Tuesday night to go to NYC and saw Grouplove at Webster Hall in what was the best single show I had ever seen.

I sit here on my laptop, and search and search for concerts in Boston, but the lineups at HOB, MidEast, Paradise, etc. are awfully weak. It's an exception to find a killer band coming through, not the rule. Obviously, we can't hold a candle to Manhattan, but c'mon - there's gotta be something I'm missing. There's jack shit to do but drink!

Ah, the old "Compare Boston to New York." Haven't seen anyone trot this out for... hours.

PS: try Great Scott, O'Brien's, PA's Lounge, Radio, the Independant, Charlie's Kitchen, or What We Talk About.

Last edited:
The departure of most college students in June likely makes a big difference here. Also, shows move to outdoor venues.

I guess it depends on what your definition of killer music is. As for arena shows, i'd agree we don't get too many, but those kinds of shows suck anyway.

As for mid-size venue shows, I've seen plenty of them this past year (Of Monsters and Men, Fitz and the Tantrums, Civil Twilight etc.), and missed others (Kasabian, Walk the Moon, foster the people, Bombay Bicycle Club, Alabama Shakes etc.). Grouplove was just here on Thursday...with Cake, Two Door Cinema Club, Delta Spirit, Reptar (awesome show), and Stephie Coplan. Passion Pit is also playing on Friday.

If the those groups don't excite you, then we have different tastes in music, but I'd say some pretty exciting shows have come through town. I'd also say that on any given night you could find a pretty good local artist playing at some of the smaller venues in town.

I would've liked to see the lineup from the "Seaport Six" show but I refuse to see a show in a venue as shitty as the Pavillion. Might as well go see Kesha with my little sisters at the Garden or something.

Hutch, seems like we have very similar tastes. I think we need more venues for these guys to play. I'll see Bombay at Royale, but I'm not sure how fun that'll be.

And finally, I understand that Boston can't match up to NYC. I get it. But it bums me out when my friends in St. Louis are seeing better shows than me.

A) the Pavilion is one of the best venues in the city.
B) St Louis? Yeah right.

A) the Pavilion is one of the best venues in the city.

I have some irrational distaste for the Pavilion I guess. It just doesn't seem like a fun place to see a show.

And Armpits, although I haven't been around in quite some time, I don't remember you as being someone to criticize for being a know-it-all.

armpits, the righteous instigator has returned!

Fuck music, what this city needs is more pubs and sports bahhhs, amirite?

Last edited:
Royale isn't so bad as a venue, but I'll agree that outside of it and HoB the midsize venues suck, who really wants to see a concert at a theater anyway.

I also think Boston suffers because of the density of the east coat. Show in St. Louis? The closest metro area is 4+ hours away in any direction (also makes logistics of a show easier while busing around the country). Around here on the other hand there are major shows playing in Manchester, Providence, Worcester, Conn, Albany, NYC, etc. (plus we're out of the way from Montreal/Canadian tours). Thinking back, most European bands i've seen really only use Boston as its first/final shows for logistical reasons.

HoB is hardly mid-sized. That place is gigantic. And what about the Middle East Downstairs and the Paradise? Both of those are mid-sized and consistently have great shows. I saw the Archers of Loaf reunion tour a few weeks ago and it was amazing.

I also think Boston suffers because of the density of the East Coast. Show in St. Louis? The closest metro area is 4+ hours away in any direction (also makes logistics of a show easier while busing around the country). Around here on the other hand there are major shows playing in Manchester, Providence, Worcester, Conn, Albany, NYC, etc.

Come to think of it, this might be a big reason. Plenty of shows get played in Worcester and Providence that might fuel audiences at venues in Boston, but they play elsewhere, so there isn't the same kind of demand for audiences.

If ever a developer built another venue the size of HOB, to bring in more bands and DJs, do you think they'd be able to maintain a crowd there, or is the Boston market actually already saturated?

Come to think of it, this might be a big reason. Plenty of shows get played in Worcester and Providence that might fuel audiences at venues in Boston, but they play elsewhere, so there isn't the same kind of demand for audiences.

I'm not too sure about that. Some bands will play both Boston and Providence on the same leg of a tour.

How about San Francisco? Do they suffer from the same problem, or is it generally "Fuck San Jose and the East Bay?"

I think Boston's nightlife could use a shot in the arm for sure. But mainly in the way of latter closing times and 24 hour diners and things of that nature. I have to disagree very much with the music assessment. Boston is one of the better music scenes in the country. It has plenty of great venues of all varieties, sure were not New Orleans, which probably blows every other city out of the water. But from the Middle East, to the Hatchshell, to Allston/Cambridge venues, Paradise, HOB, Againis Arena, Wally's (an absolute gem), to the underground rock shows, and the salsa bands in JP, Symphony Hall, Berklee street performers, Berklee Performance Center, Boston is more than sufficient in music. And for the really big shows you got the Garden and occasionally Fenway park. Oh yea I also saw a really cool Bob Marley video taking place at Harvard Stadium, though it almost never gets used for concerts any more. Boston is a profitable stop with a huge college crowd and the ability to sell our almost all styles of music, so why a tour wouldn't come through is kind of bad business or a small tour.

Edit: I'd also have to through in NEC which has a very cool collaboration with Venezuelan kids playing classical music, which is probably the coolest thing going on in classical music right now. And I think density and proximity would be an attractor for tours. Why spend more money traveling to get to population centers in other parts of the country when you can just do DC to Boston and hit at least 7 population centers in a short distance. I always felt that a band on the East Coast need only conquer that territory and then you'd have a record deal which then opens up the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Ian Faith: The Boston gig has been cancelled...
David St. Hubbins: What?
Ian Faith: Yeah. I wouldn't worry about it though, it's not a big college town.

^ My favorite line! And not to get too personal but with each passing day that movie hits closer and closer to my reality, lord have mercy!

Boston is a profitable stop with a huge college crowd and the ability to sell our almost all styles of music, so why a tour wouldn't come through is kind of bad business or a small tour.

I'm sure there's a bit more to it concerning all of the rotating logistics, but a limited number of venues would certainly make it harder to book shows in the city. For some reason plenty of tours seem to skip New England entirely and just hit Toronto/Montreal/NYC..

Music isn't Boston's biggest nightlife problem. Beyond transit and closing times, how about more late-night food options even within the 2am window? How about more than just a tiny handful of bars without a phalanx of giant flatscreens tuned to the Major League Game of the night? How about some video arcades?

Though honestly the best thing for Boston nightlife would be jacking up the density in many parts of the city and metro so walking back from a bar/house party doesn't mean being the only person on a deserted street.

How about some video arcades?

That would be kinda cool. And would have more pull than just the 20-something and maybe 30-something crowd. I've been thinking that massive bowling alley complex would work. "Laser bowling" seems to be trendy-ish. Tack on an arcade and hey, something else for people to do. Replace Corner Mall with it.

Back