Boston picture book

JimboJones

Reaction score
There's been a couple of threads over the past year or two about putting together a book of photos of Boston. Several people said they were doing it, already (self-publishing, presumably).

I'm curious. Readers of this site, what do you think would be most interesting, to you and to the general public. Not necessarily the "best-seller" but what would be most useful, or cover something that hasn't been covered enough, in the past.

A book devoted to:

* Photos of Boston buildings taken current day

* Photos of Boston buildings taken today vs. how they looked in the past (then & now)

* Photos of buildings built since a certain date (1960, 1980 ...)

* Only residential buildings, only commercial buildings

* Just "downtown" Boston buildings

* Just "outer-neighborhood" buildings (Hyde Park, JP, West Roxbury, etc.)

In addition, or as part of the book, would the prose be:

* architects and designers discussing each of the buildings ("educated" point of views)

* citizens / residents / workers of the city, commenting on the buildings

* "interested parties" talking about the city, as it is today and as it might be in the future, and how the buildings and development and business are a part of this - comments from the Mayors (past and present), "community activists" (Ted Flanders, for sure!), elected officials, business people, from the point of view of the downtown Boston area

* the above, from the point of view of residents - "living in the city", both long-term and recent arrivals

I have my own thoughts, but I'm curious what would be somewhat interesting to the most people, or most interesting to a smaller group of people. I mean, a lot of these photos, etc., are already online. What type of book would prompt someone to buy a book, instead of just look at photos online.

That's why I think the narrative is as important. If it was from the point of view of people who live here, it could be very interesting, or could be very boring. ("I've lived here thirty years and I begrudge the new arrivals," or, "I just looove the South End, it's got great dress shops!") "Movers and shakers" could be interesting, too, and could be used as much as to reflect on the past as make proposals for the future, you know?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

John

I love this idea. I must tell you, from experience, that when I print my photos out on nice paper with good ink, it looks at least 2,000 times better.

I like current day pictures and renderings, and all people's thoughts on the current state and direction of the city. Architects, residents, workers, and interested parties. It would provide a great comparison to see what people want, what architects want, what government people want, and what the activists want.

Jimbo, if you ever get this published, I'll be sure to buy one. It would most likely be a coffee table book, no?

Walking to work today, I was thinking about what a Boston Style Book would look like.

I'm underwhelmed by the response to my idea!

I'll work on flushing it out and get back to you.

I spent some time at Borders today checking out what types of books are available. I think there's always room for more, good-quality books. I'll have to think about it.

Or, just put the idea in the dust-bin, along with the other 19,024 I've come up with over the years.

I love the idea but I am too swamped with finals to give it proper thought. Ill get back to you in January.

Back