Boston Tech Center Redevelopment | 176 Lincoln Street | Brighton

There's some really finicky looking transition details. It's too busy. Good luck detailing that.

BCDC: https://bpda.app.box.com/s/wha0ccewd4zb2t43t8ul4t0vu1tw3qjg

They made a video: https://bpda.app.box.com/s/bi2yk5zigyoj5ftdbv5nr97r3n98lg25

1646853866212.png

Building C is MUCH better in my opinion, but still not as nice as the original rendering. I'm glad they removed the sloped front facade.

Anyone have any idea how much it cost to produce that 11 minute video?

Reactions: FK4
Better than what is there for sure... laughing at the idea of that many pedestrians ever being on Lincoln Street (the road wedged between Pike and the buildings)

First rendering still looks the best, IMO. In the most recent rendering the "Apogee" building has depressingly devolved into a standard-fare 2020s lab building - it's just terrible architecture.

First rendering still looks the best, IMO. In the most recent rendering the "Apogee" building has depressingly devolved into a standard-fare 2020s lab building - it's just terrible architecture.

I think the line between what's built in Allston and Waltham has blurred to nothing. That reflects both improvement in Waltham and regression in Allston/Cambridge/Somerville.

This site is cursed. The labs will be completed just in time for the bubble to burst and they will lay fallow for a generation.

This site is cursed. The labs will be completed just in time for the bubble to burst and they will lay fallow for a generation.

The plain reality of global demagraphics - booming senior populations with longer life expectancies - say otherwise.

Tens of millions more people every year relying on life extending and maintenace meds and technologies. Not to mention booming middle classes in the developing worlds, etc.

Biotech is a different animal than automobile or furniture manufacturing.

Last edited:
Approved

“The Boston Planning & Development Agency approved two development projects that will bring 307 units of housing to Allston. The projects are located at 176 Lincoln St. and 1035 Commonwealth Ave.”
176-Lincoln-updated-rendering-2022-11-14.jpg.optimal.jpg

“The 176 Lincoln St. project is a mixed-use development with lab, office, residential, restaurant, retail and cultural space. Located within the Western Avenue Corridor Study and Rezoning (WACRZ) area, the project will replace an existing and long-vacant structure on site with three buildings. The residential building will consist of 252 units with 45 designated income-restricted and include 10 artist live/work units.
As part of the city’s WACRZ area, the Lincoln Street project also includes transportation and street network improvements, as well as a public connection to the Boston Landing MBTA Station on all sides of the site. Green space will be a priority of the project and make up 40% of the project (almost two acres) and include the planting of 100 new trees.
The project will also contribute $222,680 to the Boston Transportation Department to install and operate a new on-site Bluebikes station.”
https://bostonagentmagazine.com/202...bring-more-than-300-housing-units-to-allston/

I was expecting that they would miss this cycle and the datacenter would shamble along for another decade.

I was expecting that they would miss this cycle and the datacenter would shamble along for another decade.
I still remember the year ~2000 with the giant Globix / Global Crossing - CLEC/COLO/DATACENTER all-caps sign that was up for so long, then one day it was gone. And nobody has been able to make that site work.

Back