Boston Tram Network

NJBostonFan

Reaction score
Since Boston is Sister Cities with Melbourne and Strasbourg, which have very extensive tram networks, is it possible for Boston to construct a tram network similar to those cities? We can start with the HarborTram Proposal, and we can also incorporate the B and C branches of the Green Line and reopen the Arborway Extension, while converting the Green Line to Grade Separated Light Rail, or Heavy Rail.

What do you mean by tram, exactly? I mean, the green line *is* a tram network, isn't it?

I always thought that the B, C, and E branches would be considered a true tram system since they run either in the street or along the street in their own ROW.

I always thought that the B, C, and E branches would be considered a true tram system since they run either in the street or along the street in their own ROW.

They are. But the D line and the underground green line is considered light rail, and in my proposal, those parts are upgraded to heavy rail.

What do you mean by tram, exactly? I mean, the green line *is* a tram network, isn't it?

The Green Line is more like a tram-train network in reverse. The tram is the B and C Line and the train part is the subway from Kenmore to Lechmere (Extending to Medford in the future).

Besides extending the E?

Resume all or some of the A to Brighton Center, Oak Square, Newton Corner, Watertown.

Run down Washington St through the South End and Roxbury, connecting to the Central Subway via the Tremont Street Tunnel. Maybe continue it down Warren and Blue Hill to Mattapan.

Somehow split a line off the B to Harvard (several options - all of which involve tunneling under the Charles to get to Harvard)

Greenway/Charlestown Waterfront trolley.

Those are the ones frequently discussed with regards to the current Green Line, along with an integrated Urban Ring.

As far as getting the Central Subway and the Riverside line off of LRV and operating the street-cars independently, I'm not sure how you could connect them. The E would be a spur. The B and C would be forced to turn at Kenmore.

But if you really want to speculate, pull out a map of all the major bus routes. Almost all of them used to be street-car lines at one point or another.

I would agree extend the E line to Forest Hills and restore A line service. I would not branch the green line to Washington though I would build that as a cut and cover subway that splits the orange line. The main issue there is the city would need to by a lot more trains so they would be able to maintain 5 minute headways during rush hour past the split of the orange line and that would also require signal upgrades to allow 2.5 minute headways on the areas where all trains run together.

The Green Line is more like a tram-train network in reverse. The tram is the B and C Line and the train part is the subway from Kenmore to Lechmere (Extending to Medford in the future).
So you're saying to return surface streetcars to downtown?

Seems problematic, if only for the reason streetcars were removed from downtown to begin with- the streets are too narrow and crowded with traffic as it is! The Greenway is a possible exception, as is maybe a boulevardized Storrow... and I guess you could send the B or C up that way, but I don't know why you would.

Mind you, I do think there is plenty of opportunity in streetcar extensions- but I think we should work with the Green Line tunnel we have for that purpose. (Depressingly, it does seem like all the best options- A to Watertown, E to Arborway, Washington St., etc. only really replicate what we formerly had- amazing how much useful infrastructure we allowed to be willfully destroyed)

I don't think it's going to work unless you're removing traffic (or a majority, ie: non-taxi, non-commercial traffic) from the streets its running on. Otherwise it might as well just be a Green Line branch.

I would agree extend the E line to Forest Hills and restore A line service. I would not branch the green line to Washington though I would build that as a cut and cover subway that splits the orange line. The main issue there is the city would need to by a lot more trains so they would be able to maintain 5 minute headways during rush hour past the split of the orange line and that would also require signal upgrades to allow 2.5 minute headways on the areas where all trains run together.

Crazy transit for sure. Much of the City of Boston is too rife with under-street utility mazes to make much under-street tunneling workable. See 2nd Ave subway in NYC. Old metros are VERY expensive to tunnel under these days. Washington Street rail will be LRV on the surface if it ever happens.

Definitely upgrade the Transitway to LRV and get some Southie street-car lines in.

Blue Hill Ave to Columbia Road, up Boston Street through Andrew Square to Dorchester Street, continuing along the Reserve Channel to Summer Street, up the Green Way to North Washington and over the Charlestown Bridge, right on Chelsea Street and ending near the new Spaulding building with option to extend to Chelsea on a new draw bridge. (file under things that'll never happen)

Serves some areas that could use a direct frequent rail service to downtown and it's mostly streets wide enough that you could separate it from traffic most of the route.

Last edited:
Gallivan Blvd from Adams Village -> WIlliam T Morrissey Blvd -> JFK/UMass

BERy_1925_map.jpg

Back then the "64 bus" went to Harvard instead of Central? What's that little stub of a bus line from Central to the River Street bridge that abruptly ends?

It also looks like there is a bus shown over where the temporary bridge was while they were building the replacement Cottage Farm bridge.

I'm guessing that the River Street bridge was temporarily out for some sort of construction at the time of this map.

Back