Boston's Finest Thwart Cartoon Network Terror Plot

Re: The Dude/Bosdevelopment stuff:
It's an internet thing. Anonymity + an audience = being a dick (for some people.)
I don't really get myself, but seems pretty true everywhere online.
I can sort of understand the Dude stuff because he is a little kid, so that sort of thing is still fun, but I can't understand what a grown adult gets out it. Strange.

As for the cartoons. It is not an either/or thing.
A lot of smart sophisticated people who eat at places like Ruth Chris, The Oak Bar, etc watch shows like ATHF. The trick is to not devote your life to it. "Appointment TV" is sad and pathetic, saying "Fuck this, it's cold as balls out, I'm staying in and watching the Simpsons." is fine and in fact probably healthier. You'll probably even learn more watching the Simpsons then you would hanging out with your friends.

The simpsons and family guy are tolerable. I don't watch them because like myself, most of my friends don't like to sit around and watch television when we could be out doing other things but if cartoons do it for you, that's great.

Sorry, I had to drag this out:
:p
The Onion said:
Area Man Constantly Mentioning He Doesn't Own A Television

February 9, 2000 | Issue 36?04

CHAPEL HILL, NC?Area resident Jonathan Green does not own a television, a fact he repeatedly points out to friends, family, and coworkers?as well as to his mailman, neighborhood convenience-store clerks, and the man who cleans the hallways in his apartment building.

Jonathan Green, who tells as many people as possible that he is "fully weaned off the glass teat."

"I, personally, would rather spend my time doing something useful than watch television," Green told a random woman Monday at the Suds 'N' Duds Laundromat, noticing the establishment's wall-mounted TV. "I don't even own one."

According to Melinda Elkins, a coworker of Green's at The Frame Job, a Chapel Hill picture-frame shop, Green steers the conversation toward television whenever possible, just so he can mention not owning one.

"A few days ago, [store manager] Annette [Haig] was saying her new contacts were bothering her," Elkins said. "The second she said that, I knew Jonathan would pounce. He was like, 'I didn't know you had contacts, Annette. Are your eyes bad? That a shame. I'm really lucky to have almost perfect vision. I'm guessing it's because I don't watch TV. In fact, I don't even own one."

According to Elkins, "idiot box" is Green's favorite derogatory term for television.

"He uses that one a lot," she said. "But he's got other ones, too, like 'boob tube' and 'electronic babysitter.'"

Elkins said Green always makes sure to read the copies of Entertainment Weekly and People lying around the shop's break room, "just so he can point out all the stars and shows he's never heard of."

"Last week, in one of the magazines, there was a picture of Calista Flockhart," Elkins said, "and Jonathan announced, 'I have absolutely no idea who this woman is. Calista who? Am I supposed to have heard of her? I'm sorry, but I haven't.'"

Tony Gerela, who lives in the apartment directly below Green's and occasionally chats with the 37-year-old by the mailboxes, is well aware of his neighbor's disdain for television.

"About a week after I met him, we were talking, and I made some kind of Simpsons reference," Gerela said. "He asked me what I was talking about, and when I told him it was from a TV show, he just went off, saying how the last show he watched was some episode of Cheers, and even then, he could only watch for about two minutes before having to shut it off because it insulted his intelligence so terribly."

Added Gerela: "Once, I made the mistake of saying I saw something on the news, and he started in with, 'Saw the news? I don't know about you, but I read the news."

Green has lived without television since 1989, when his then-girlfriend moved out and took her set with her.

"When Claudia went, the TV went with her," Green said. "But instead of just going out and buying another one?which I certainly could have afforded, that wasn't the issue?I decided to stand up to the glass teat."

"I'm not an elitist," Green said. "It's just that I'd much rather sculpt or write in my journal or read Proust than sit there passively staring at some phosphorescent screen."

"If I need a fix of passive audio-visual stimulation, I'll go to catch a Bergman or Truffaut film down at the university," Green said. "I certainly wouldn't waste my time watching the so-called Learning Channel or, God forbid, any of the mind sewage the major networks pump out."

Continued Green: "People don't realize just how much time their TV-watching habit?or, shall I say, addiction?eats up. Four hours of television a day, over the course of a month, adds up to 120 hours. That's five entire days! Why not spend that time living your own life, instead of watching fictional people live theirs? I can't begin to tell you how happy I am not to own a television."
Link

kmp1284 said:
Because I can afford to and I've done something with my life other than become a loser property manager.

How can you afford to go to all of those places if you dropped out of college?

I co-manage a hedge fund, Kestrel Management Partners and in addition, I've been playing the market since I was in high school. If you really think you need a college degree to be financially successful, you're deluded.

This is the general forum, we can talk about anything.

kmp1284 said:
If you really think you need a college degree to be financially successful, you're deluded.

Now that I agree with.

Heh:
:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUaQVZHzyI

For those who may not know: "24" is a television show which chronicles the adventures of a federal agent as he tries to prevent some large-scale terrorist attack over the course of 24 hours.
I've never watched the dreck myself but my servants tell it is popular among the proles.

statler said:
Heh:
:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUaQVZHzyI

For those who may not know: "24" is a television show which chronicles the adventures of a federal agent as he tries to prevent some large-scale terrorist attack over the course of 24 hours.
I've never watched the dreck myself but my servants tell it is popular among the proles.

That was awesome. :)

From Strangers With Candy:
Mr. Jellineck: What's the matter Jerri?
Jerri: Mr. Noblett wants me to snitch on someone who might be...
Mr. J: Gay?
Jerri: No. Retarded.
Mr. J: Yes, most of them are.
Jerri: What?
Mr. J: Most gay people are retarded.
Jerri: Are they dangerous?
Mr. J: Gays? Yes some of them can be.

Some people here either have no idea or just don't care how stupid they sound.

City failed to react to bomb scare appropriately

So, apparently our city's public officials cannot handle more than one thing happening at a time.

This should be a wake-up call to the fire department, police department, and mayor. WAKE UP!!!!

Prank delayed ambulance by half hour: Councilors enraged

By Michele McPhee - Boston Herald Police Bureau Chief

Thursday, February 8, 2007 - Updated: 12:46 AM EST

A 37-year-old man who was seriously injured in a hit-and-run accident in Dorchester waited 31 minutes for an ambulance Feb. 1during the chaos that gripped the city after a series of bomb scares, it was revealed at a City Council hearing yesterday.

The man had been hit by a car on Hallett Street in Dorchester at 4:17 p.m. - as Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis were preparing for a press conference on the Mooninite prank - but was not transported to the hospital until a private ambulance arrived at the scene of the accident 31 minutes later.

By then, the Boston Fire Department had stabilized him, according to a police report. Emergency Medical Services units had been dispatched around the city as part of the overall response to the scares.

But the incident was one that enraged Boston City Council members, who spent much of yesterday?s council hearing discussing the toll the guerrilla marketing campaign had on the city. The publicity stunt used light-up cartoon panels with hanging wires and a battery pack to promote an upcoming Cartoon Network flick.

?The issue here is that precious city resources were drained,? said City Councilor Michael Flaherty. ?We had citizens of this city waiting for an ambulance because EMS was tied up in an emergency response that turned out to be a fraud.?

Flaherty, along with several other city councilors, urged Attorney General Martha Coakley to pursue criminal charges against Peter Berdovsky, 27, and Sean Stevens, 28, the two men facing felony charges of planting a hoax device and disorderly conduct.

This week the Herald reported that Berdovsky and Stevens were photographed by transit cops among the spectators at the MBTA?s Sullivan Square Orange Line subway station as emergency responders detonated one of the cartoon devices they had placed.

An attorney for Berdovsky, who was videotaping the cops, said he was there as a ?video artist.? The attorney, Jeffrey Pyle, said that the marketing firm that had hired the duo told them to ?sit tight.?

?Clearly those photos show there is a premeditation factor here. They are not a couple of dupes,? said City Councilor Stephen Murphy. ?They knew exactly what they were doing, and knew exactly what was happening, then did nothing stop the response. It jeopardized the lives of first responders and anyone waiting for emergency service.?

Murphy said that as the chairman of the Public Safety Committee he is going to request copies of the state police 911 calls to make sure that the pranksters did not abuse the emergency call system to report the devices.

kmp1284 said:
I co-manage a hedge fund, Kestrel Management Partners and in addition, I've been playing the market since I was in high school. If you really think you need a college degree to be financially successful, you're deluded.

You should get over yourself.

My guess is that you never got into Wharton. I wouldn't see the necessity in announcing to the forum your attendance, your eventual drop-out, and subsequent poo-pooing of people's delusions involved with the pursuit of higher education.

Hell you do know how to not waste time.. posting on this forum and such... getting drinks at the bristol... where the hell did I go wrong?

^wow man, you're building up a solid portfolio for the worst person of the forum award. Dude better watch his back.

^wow, man. How would that post make me a [bad] person, if not "the worst" person on the forum. You just want a reason to bitch and complain about me.

why, if you ask, you have absolutely NO business delving into the lives of other people and making stupid assumptions concerning someone you don't even know! Especially with the sole purpose of insulting them. If you can't see that then there are some serious screws loose in your head.

it would be awesome if people stopped insinuating that my being nearly 18 makes me less intelligent than them (when, in fact, I have an IQ midway between 100 and 200), but whatever. I guess if you disagree with my arguments or can't rebut them, insult my age.

not less intelligent, but definitely less mature and showing a lack of life experience. The cure for this is simply the passage of time.

lexicon506 said:
why, if you ask, you have absolutely NO business delving into the lives of other people and making stupid assumptions concerning someone you don't even know! Especially with the sole purpose of insulting them. If you can't see that then there are some serious screws loose in your head.

I'm sorry. You're right. I'm just a loser property manager. I took it upon myself to delve into this personal detail of myself and make stupid assumptions and insults. I guess I just have some screws loose in my head.

DudeUrSistersHot said:
it would be awesome if people stopped insinuating that my being nearly 18 makes me less intelligent than them (when, in fact, I have an IQ midway between 100 and 200), but whatever. I guess if you disagree with my arguments or can't rebut them, insult my age.

Dude, the feelings are reciprocal. If you want people to stop making assumptions about you based on your age, how about writing a post that isn't obviously meant to come off as being abrasive and/or derogatory? You make it look like you get off over being as much of a twit as you possibly can be.

Back