BPL wants Copley station renamed

czsz

Reaction score
1184170146_2096.jpg

The name game, played to a T
Boston Public Library mounts campaign to relabel Copley Station
By Matt Viser, Globe Staff | July 12, 2007

For the better part of the century, since Boston's Green Line subway began running through the Back Bay, its Dartmouth Street stop has been called Copley Station, after the square where it lets out passengers.

And for a long time, it has irritated those who run Boston's historic public library, which is next door to the station. They feel the institution has been slighted by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, which has emblazoned the names of other prominent destinations on subway stop entrances. Now, they are campaigning to have the stop renamed Boston Public Library, sensing an opportunity to push their case as the MBTA renovates the station.

"It's almost 100 years overdue," said Bernard Margolis, president of the library system. "If you go through the listing of T stops, you can see all of the important institutions, from the Symphony to the MFA to the Aquarium. We want people to know where we are, and we're proud to be at the site of one of the earliest T stops."

Mayor Thomas M. Menino is backing the library, and so are a number of state legislators, who are sponsoring a bill that would force the MBTA to add the library to the station's name. The MBTA, however, has rebuffed the plans, citing the cost of replacing the maps in every station, subway car, and pamphlet in the system. Plus, officials say, they just don't do such things willy-nilly.

"Who will come to us next and want the station next to them renamed?" said Joe Pesaturo, spokesman for the MBTA, who added that several historic churches nearby could just as easily demand their names be included. "It's not to be taken lightly when you change the name of a station that has had the same name for decades, if not a century."

1184170146_2133.jpg

Pesaturo said that about a year ago the MBTA devoted five months of labor and paid nearly $10,000 to update the 637 maps mounted on the walls of the system's subway stations. If the MBTA changed the name of Copley Station, he said, it would also have to replace about 100 additional maps that detail the branches on the Green Line.

"All of our money is going toward maintaining basic services and paying down the enormous debt burden," Pesaturo said. "We have very limited resources, and we have higher priorities right now."

Library officials have told the MBTA they would be happy with a name change on the signs marking the station itself and suggested that maps be updated later. But T officials declined, saying all signs and maps should be uniform.

The MBTA has no written policy on naming its subway stops, but newer stations, such as the Silver Line's Courthouse and World Trade Center terminals, have been named for prominent buildings nearby.

Library officials have raised the name change issue for at least the past five years, but the MBTA has continued to argue against it.

"Last time they said it would be too costly, and of course we asked how much," Margolis said.

Other T stops have been changed to reflect names of new institutions, including the Hynes Convention Center stop, which was changed from War Memorial Auditorium in 1970. Several have dual names, such as Kendall/MIT, Charles/MGH, and JFK/UMass.

Still, T officials say changing the name of the Copley stop would open a flood gate. "The MBTA's primary concern about the request is that this would be precedent-setting and that institutions and organizations throughout the MBTA service area will be approaching us to have their name placed on stations," Pesaturo said.

In January, two Boston legislators filed a measure, first reported by the Boston Courant and the Back Bay Sun, that would force the MBTA to rename the stop as either Copley/Boston Public Library Station or, to save space, Copley/BPL Station.

"The Boston Public Library is one of the most important libraries in our country," said state Representative Marty Walz, a Democrat from the Back Bay, who filed the bill with Representative Byron Rushing, a Democrat from the South End and assistant House majority leader. "It seems very fitting that we give it special recognition."

"It's really easy to know where you're going on the T if you're going to the airport," Walz added. "If you're going to Suffolk Downs, you know right where to go. If you're going to the Aquarium, you know right where to go."

Last year, the Neighborhood Association of the Back Bay fought a court battle with the MBTA, alleging that the T was violating historical preservation laws by adding elevators to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. {ed - unbelievable!}

The courts ruled in favor of the MBTA.

The bolded sentence is inaccurate. They were concerned about what the elevators would look like from the street, and wanted modifications of either their appearance or their location.

"Library officials have told the MBTA they would be happy with a name change on the signs marking the station itself and suggested that maps be updated later. But T officials declined, saying all signs and maps should be uniform. "

Ive never read more bullshit. There is no such thing as a uniform sign on the T. Either they show the long E branch, or Audiorium, or Hynes/ICA, the Lechmere closed or...etc etc

The BPL is centrally located in a famous square almost on top of two subway and several commuter rail lines. It is one of the most well-known buildings in Boston. There is no confusion about how to get there.

How about making a better effort to promote the fact that Copley and Back Bay/South End stations are only two and a half blocks apart?

I love it ...

Ha.

I love it.

I just checked the MBTA website, and their main subway map still shows the (old Auditorium) Green Line stop as

Hynes / ICA

Now, I'm not suggesting that the Boston Public Library is going anywhere, but there's a message somewhere in this ... don't change subway names, basically.

What is wrong with this town, honestly. The T spent what probably amounted to thousands of hours of (VERY EXPENSIVE) labor PLUS $10,000 in capital costs to update all these maps systemwide. They are doing what they can to make them uniform, and regardless of how they're doing, this is ridiculously unnecessary.

Maps should not be updated haphazardly. They should fix all of them in one shot, completely, and thereafter whenever there is an addition to the system or a major expansion, if there is not another major addition planned soon after it, they should go through in one fell swoop and update all the maps. And when this occurs, they should also have a list of approved name changes, such as "Copley/Library" or whatever else is appropriate, and make those changes to every map on the system at the same time.

Why does it seem that everything in Boston is done piecemeal and haphazardly?

I like it some of the time, as it give character, but when it comes to directions and signs, come on...

That's been done before, in fact. When the Orange Line moved to the Southwest Corridor in 1987, there were simultaneous name changes to Washington and Essex stations (now Downtown Crossing and Chinatown).

When will the maps be updated to show the planned extension of the Green Line? That would be a good time to do it.

The first Red Line station in Cambridge is Kendall, not Kendall/MIT. They should do the same thing at Copley: leave the official name on the green band as is, and add BPL on the white band below. In fact, this might be a useful general practice, e.g. North Station/TDBN Garden, Kenmore/Fenway Park etc.

justin

justin said:
The first Red Line station in Cambridge is Kendall, not Kendall/MIT. They should do the same thing at Copley: leave the official name on the green band as is, and add BPL on the white band below. In fact, this might be a useful general practice, e.g. North Station/TDBN Garden, Kenmore/Fenway Park etc.

justin

i like it

I swear, I think the president of the Boston Public Library, Bernard Margolis, must have read the posts on this thread.

Boston Globe said:
Wrong track at Copley
By Adrian Walker, Globe Columnist | July 13, 2007

What's in a name?

Quite a bit, if you believe Bernard Margolis, the president of the Boston Public Library. As reported in the Globe yesterday, the library wants the Copley MBTA station renamed "Copley/Boston Public Library" or something to that effect.

Given its location, there are other possibilities, of course. It could be Hancock, or Trinity, or even Old South. As long as a 95-year-old station is being renamed for no real reason.

I'm not an expert on the BPL, but there must be more pressing issues on Boylston Street than what to call the T stop outside.

At least the arguments of the proponents of the name change are straightforward. For one, the station is in front of the library. Some people might not be aware of that. So this would help them. These are tourists, obviously.

Also, the stop in front of the Museum of Fine Arts is the MFA stop, and the stop near the New England Aquarium is the Aquarium stop. So really, this is an equity issue.

And there is but one solid, nonsentimental argument against the change: The station is called Copley because of its proximity to Copley Square, which boasts a couple of significant landmarks other than the BPL. I happen to find this one persuasive, though Margolis assured me yesterday that I was mistaken.

"This is close to a century overdue," he said. "Why this wasn't done in 1912" -- when the current station was built -- "I don't know. I guess they just never thought of it."

I told Margolis I really think most people in this town can find the library without too much trouble, even without a library-named station on the T. It's not like some of the other stops named after institutions in less recognizable locations.

Margolis told me he took an informal survey three years ago asking people on the street to identify Kendall, Kenmore, and Copley squares. He was surprised by how many people could not identify these well-known areas. I'd love to know whom he surveyed, but he isn't sure.

Margolis's idea has had a remarkably long gestation period , apparently at least five years . He got the chance to make his case a few years ago, when it was clear the station would need a major renovation to deal with a longstanding lack of handicapped access.

"It seemed from our perspective that because all the signage would be changed anyway, this could be done without any added cost," Margolis said.

So far, MBTA officials are unmoved. They have said the change would be a waste of money. More important, they are wary of a deluge of requests for name changes. Lots of T stations are next to something.

If Margolis isn't getting much love from the MBTA, the Legislature appears more enthusiastic. While the lawmakers I spoke to didn't seem to care much either way, the votes might be there for pending legislation that would force the change. Bills no one really cares about are sometimes the easiest to pass.

That's certainly what Margolis seems to be banking on. "I am amazed that this seems to have generated any controversy at all," he said. Tongue firmly in cheek, he added, "I know change is hard."

Margolis has a point; this is truly incremental. Still, what an odd five-year crusade.

Some of the branch libraries function beautifully. Others don't. Residents have been told for years about the role the library system can play in improving the shaky performance of the city's public school students, through after-school programs and tutoring. All these things seem a lot more important than renaming a station.

But maybe I'm missing the big picture. Libraries these days are nearly as much about marketing and public relations as they are about late fees. Margolis speaks about visibility, but really this is an exercise in branding.

Just running a great library used to be enough. But now, that's so last century.

Boston Globe said:
Margolis speaks about visibility, but really this is an exercise in branding.

Uhh..what's the difference?

If, as Mr Walker suggests, libraries serve an important function in our society (and I would agree they do) wouldn't this 'branding' campaign bring more vistors to the library and from there more public support for more funding?

Just a thought.

What a comic opera. Locals don't need a renamed station to point them to the library, and determined tourists and researchers will find it with minimal effort. How many more visitors could it realistically draw by placing its name on the T map? I think it might draw more by making it clear that the main entrance is on Boylston and not Dartmouth St.

There are better candidates for renaming, too. Why is "Science Park" not simply "Science Museum"?

The original 'main entrance' to the library was on Dartmouth Street, and that's still the entrance closest to the stuff a tourist would want to visit. The entrance on Boylston Street is to the circulating part of the library, which is not of much use to tourists.

Renaming the subway stop makes no sense, even from a tourist viewpoint. Visitors to our city may shop at Copley Place, go to outdoor concerts or markets in Copley Square park, and stay at the Copley Plaza, Copley Square, Westin Copley or Marriott Copley hotels.

I've never really understood why Science Park station is named for the (generally unused) park next to the museum.

The Museum's address is 1 Science Park. The station name is geographically correct, although confusing.

I see nothing wrong with eventually renaming this stop Copley/Library.

justin said:

justin

Dont forget Boylston / Theater District

Wouldn't there be enough room on T maps to put subtitles on the maps themselves? That way the stations would ultimately be identified with nearby landmarks, and the T will have to replace the maps anyway when the third stage of the Silver Line is finished, if ever...

Frankly, one thing I've always liked about the T as opposed to other mass transit systems being built recently is that it's station names have some romance to them. I didn't like the "Hynes Convention Center/ICA" name for that reason, ditto with "Aquarium" (which should be "Long Wharf" anyway, since there's more on the wharf than the Aquarium).

Go to Denver, or Portland, or any of these new systems, and the stations all have names after nearby attractions. When you can't come up with a better name for a station than "Pepsi Center/Six Flags Eltich Gardens" (or "Route 128" for that matter) your system falls into robotic ennui.

Sure, its easier for the average tourist to find their way to the library or Pepsi Center if that's what the station is called, but then the shopper looking for Newbury Street isn't going to think to look around "Hynes Convention Center/ICA." Rather than guess at demand or play favorites, it's better to make the name something that can be associated with many places, like "Kenmore" with the Red Sox, and then make it clear at the station or on the verbal station announcements what is where.

Back