Braintree infill and small developments

They should probably try to fix the crime problem then. It seems like a great way to deal with a hollowed out 20th century relic that's attracting ruffians and small-time crooks is to put use to the land that's there, ideally with something that adds feet and eyes to the area, such as housing.

Yeah. I think if done correctly it would really help the problem actually.

Unlike the Nobscot development mentioned a couple posts ago... this is like a mile and a half from the Red Line. Not walkable to it though. I'm not sure if that makes it millennial friendly enough to support the market rent rates it would be. So it might be more that the developer ended up using the complaints as an excuse to bail. Same thing happened at Riverside.

Great link address, pretty solid editorial. Fighting words in bold!

"The Braintree saga, recounted by the Globe’s Andrew Brinker last week, was a reminder — if any more are needed — that the state simply can’t count on communities doing the right thing of their own volition and must weaken the ability of municipalities to thwart development."

Braintree seems like it could be another town in the Boston metro area where parents with kids who are in their 20s and early 30s, make comments like "my kids will never be able to afford to buy a house in this town" or "it's too bad my kids won't be able to raise their kids in the town they grew up in because housing costs so much".

I have a colleague who lives in Sharon making these kids of comments about her kids. Sharon, a town that is less than 30 miles from Boston, has direct highway access and a commuter rail stop, yet is so low density. It's a stark contract to a town like Franklin, which has 2 commuter rail stops, and has multiple larger scale developments within walking distance of both stops.

Braintree seems like it could be another town in the Boston metro area where parents with kids who are in their 20s and early 30s, make comments like "my kids will never be able to afford to buy a house in this town" or "it's too bad my kids won't be able to raise their kids in the town they grew up in because housing costs so much".

By house I assume they mean SFH. Building apartments isn't going to make SFH prices cheaper, unless they devalue the property.

Back