BRA's Kairos Shen's under pressure to resign

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is why Walsh is so gung-ho to get rid of him. If he's a competent guy and has done good work, why can't he stay on but to his new boss's marching orders?

What I don't understand is why Walsh is so gung-ho to get rid of him. If he's a competent guy and has done good work, why can't he stay on but to his new boss's marching orders?

What? Where did you get that he is competent? His vision for the city has always been small and short-sighted.

If he's a competent guy...

An "if" big enough it can be seen from outer space.

...and has done good work...

In Boston? Where?

...why can't he stay on but to his new boss's marching orders?

Anyone willing to follow the capricious and ill-considered agenda of Tom Menino is (IMHO) unworthy of a leadership position in any City agency in the post-Menino era. Good riddance.

Get him outta here - the time for his boring, bland vision, thank god, has come and gone.

The question is whether he will receive $35,000 or $70,000 a year for doing nothing.

Was he really able to form his own vision or was he just operating at the whim of Mayor Menino? I honestly don't know.

Was he really able to form his own vision or was he just operating at the whim of Mayor Menino? I honestly don't know.

What does it matter? He has "served" in the same role since 2002 and has been with the BRA since 1993. Whatever edge he might have had has long since dulled.

Shen said how a top expresses itself is sometimes in conflict with his goal of having buildings viewed in groups and not making one stand out more than its neighbors. He prefers to consider the profile of the whole building, as it might express itself as a spiral or a trapezoid.

http://northendwaterfront.com/2014/10/downtown-view-good-skyscrapers/

Yeah, he's right about the ground interaction but can't see anything higher than that. Let's not keep Mr. It's Too Iconic in Boston.

He may have been under Menino's control, but he could have taken more of a leadership position and educated people or fought for what he thought was right. As far as Im concerned a half-years salary (if the numbers Justin provided are accurate) is good enough. I know people who went to school with him, he was well-respected. He's also young (somewhat), probably well-connected due to his position, and has many years of professional work ahead of him.

I suppose he could argue that he put in the years and deserves the pension like anyone else in a similar position.

I'm all for people having a nice life after their working days are behind them, but $70,000/year going to a middle aged guy for getting fired? That's not about having a nice life after he's retired. It doesn't help his cause that he was a leader during what you'd nicely call a TROUBLING era for development in Boston.

I hate seeing anyone lose their job, but I think we will (hopefully could/should) be better off. He won't be hurting as backed up by everything above. He'll land a nice job somewhere if he chooses, and will have some nice supplemental income from his pension.

Happy trails Mr. Shen.

Can't blame him one bit. Blame the law that made this possible.

Glad that he is gone. We need someone with more imagination and more of a zeal for getting things built.

Shen was too iconic. Took attention from the Greenway. He had to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back