Bridj

joshg1

Reaction score
This is not infrastructure, rather the private bus start up in Friday's (11 April, 14) Globe. Much is made of their whizzo software, plush buses, and non stop services. The website www.bridj.com wants me to sign up for more information. I won't, and wonder if anyone can answer a few questions.

Is this just an express bus from one fixed stop to another?

If the Bridj bus wanders around Coolidge Corner picking up at everyone's front door, won't that add on to the travel time? Such that I'm just paying a premium for a nice seat?

And somewhat OT- Harvard runs fixed route buses. Are employer, developer (as in office parks) buses the coming thing?

Mod Edit: Corrected URL

That website doesnt seem to have anything to do with a bus.

Spam or honest mistake?

I signed up to try it out. They seem to stress the use of data, but I'm not impressed so far. I mean anyone here could tell you Coolidge corner to Harvard square would be a popular route.

That video on their front page rubs me the wrong way with the comparison to the T. They say it's "Better transit for everyone" and then show a nearly empty bus with two people.

Last edited:
Why are they doing Prudential to Harvard square? What incentive do I have to take it when I can get a 1/CT1 bus with much higher frequency? I think they would have better luck doing under-served routes like Kenmore - Harvard, Back Bay - Seaport, Back Bay - Inman/Union, etc. rather than competing directly with the MBTA.

Presumably, if they get enough people that sign up that want that route, then they'll run it.

Sorry about botching the link. I understand it to be a (slight) premium white collar hours commuter express. I have a number of questions but the part I don't understand about the operation is what happens on the (for example) Coolidge Corner end.

Also considered that a city designates a part of the street as a place for buses to stop, but does it grant rights to bus companies/transit agencies? I've read the legalese saying only buses can stop at so many feet of X street from A to B, emergency services notwithstanding, but I've never seen the operator of the buses be an issue.

There are still regulations that apply to private companies operating regular fixed-route bus service including this section:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXXII/Chapter159A/Section1
which states:
"Section 1. No person shall, except as otherwise provided in this chapter, operate any motor vehicle upon any public way in any city or town for the carriage of passengers for hire, in such a manner as to afford a means of transportation similar to that afforded by a railway company, by indiscriminately receiving and discharging passengers along the route on which the vehicle is operated or may be running, or for transporting passengers for hire as a business between fixed and regular termini, without first obtaining a license for such operation from the city council of such city or the selectmen of such town, in this chapter called the licensing authority; provided, that, in respect to any boulevard or way or turnpike or toll road under the jurisdiction of the metropolitan district commission or the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, such applicable commission or authority shall constitute the licensing authority; and provided, further, that the city council of a city and the selectmen of a town, with the advice and consent of the school committee, may issue a license for the use within the municipality of school buses for public events promoting the public good for any period not to exceed seventy-two hours. Any such license issued by a city council under this section shall be subject to the approval of the mayor. The amount of the fee for any such license shall be determined annually by the commissioner of administration under the provision of section three B of chapter seven for the filing thereof. Such license may limit the number of vehicles to be operated thereunder. Any person, receiving a license under this section and operating a vehicle or vehicles thereunder, shall, in respect to such operation, be subject to such orders, rules or regulations as shall be adopted by the licensing authority under this chapter. No license, certificate or permit shall be required under this chapter in respect to such carriage of passengers as is exclusively interstate.

If any application for a license under this section is not favorably acted upon within a period of sixty days after the filing thereof, the applicant may appeal to the department of telecommunications and energy within five days following the expiration of said period or, if notice of unfavorable action is sooner given, within five days of said notice, upon a petition in writing setting forth all the material facts in the case. The commission shall hold a hearing on each such appeal, requiring due notice to be given to all interested parties. If the commission approves the action of the licensing authority, it shall issue notice to that effect, but if the commission disapproves of said action, it shall act as a licensing authority and may issue a license which shall specify the route or routes on which a motor vehicle subject to this section may be operated and the number of vehicles which may be operated under such license."
(end of quoted section)

I don't know if Bridj or their sub-contractors that will actually run the service have obtained regular route licences from the municipalities they will run in. They might claim that legally they are a charter service, open only to registered members. If they have not obtained municipal licences, it could open the door for problems if they have disputes about stop locations.

I don't know if Bridj or their sub-contractors that will actually run the service have obtained regular route licences from the municipalities they will run in. They might claim that legally they are a charter service, open only to registered members. If they have not obtained municipal licences, it could open the door for problems if they have disputes about stop locations.

Looks like Bridj is going to claim they are a charter service. They have a hearing scheduled with the DPU on July 8th to apply for statewide charter service rights:
http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dpu/transportation/hearing-schedule.pdf

(contents copied from the hearing notice, since DPU reuses file names for new hearing schedules):
July 8, 2014 1:00 p.m. One South Station, Boston

14-RB-667 GroupZoom dba Bridj – Cambridge; CS-ES.

I have used Bridj a couple times and I can see the benefits - I go door to door from Coolidge Corner to Federal St in 25 minutes. Comfortable seat, no need to stand, friendly driver and staff. On the other hand, it's only a savings of 5-15 minutes depending on how speedy the Green Line is that morning. Is that time and hassle savings worth 3x the price? Not for me, maybe for others.

They now have three buses parking on Centre St - one to Kendall, one that goes downtown and a smaller one to take Seaport traffic.

I think it's a good idea, but I don't know if they'll get a big enough user base to make it profitable. Early buses only have 10 or so people on them.

iIJN24m.jpg

What I Learned Riding One of Those New Private City Buses

Bridj won't compete with Boston public transit, but it could get some commuters of out their cars.

Keith Barry

Judging by the media coverage, Bridj looks like the biggest thing to happen in Boston public transit since Rosie Ruiz rode the Green Line to win the 1980 Marathon. The Cambridge-based startup, part of a new field of private buses popping up in major metros, promises to shake up city transit by relying on big data to plan routes and on luxury shuttles to move riders. That buzzword-filled elevator pitch seems tailored to get both investors and car-free Millennials excited about riding the bus.

But much like Ruiz did, the hype seeks a shortcut to the finish line. I first rode Bridj on a quiet Friday morning in July. During my trip, the full-size buses that Bridj used on some of its initial trips had been replaced by black Mercedes Sprinter 15-passenger vans. Though I had a pass guaranteeing me a comfortable leather seat, finding space wouldn't have been a problem: Only two other passengers were on board.

So, as Bridj readies to expand its route network and move from beta tests to full service, it's looking highly unlikely that the company will disrupt public mass transit enough to please the Silicon Valley crowd—at least anytime soon. Still, it just might help some people get where they need to go without a car, and that's a laudable goal in its own right.

Take, for instance, Bridj's initial test route, from the tony suburb of Brookline to Cambridge's Kendall Square, near MIT. Brookline is a prototypical streetcar suburb, with an MBTA Green Line trolley that runs down its main artery. But getting to Kendall requires taking the Green Line to the Red Line—two legs of an isosceles triangle, if you will. Bridj's route follows the hypotenuse, making no intermediate stops and taking between 15 and 30 minutes to complete a journey that could take almost three times longer by MBTA.

According to David Block-Schachter, Bridj's chief scientist, many Brookline-to-Kendall commuters wanted an alternative to that circuitous route. "A lot of them were driving because it was not particularly attractive to take the T," he says. Brookline officials approached Bridj, and a route was born.

That's where Bridj can shine. As a nimble startup that sources its buses from third parties, it can scale service up and down almost instantly depending on need, and act as an alternative to driving. The company's proprietary data algorithm looks at sources as diverse as social media check-ins and even the MBTA's own ridership data to determine if a bus should run, and Bridj officials talk with businesses and municipalities about ways the service can fill in the gaps of the existing public transit network or act as a reliever for beleaguered bus routes.

For instance, Block-Schachter says Bridj was in talks with businesses in the suburbs that had difficulty attracting workers who might balk at a highway commute. It wouldn't make sense for the MBTA to run an entire bus line for passengers who don't yet exist, but Bridj can easily try an ad hoc route if, say, a web services company in Woburn wants to attract car-free coders from Cambridge.

It isn't just about commuting, either. Bridj is working with event promoters to set up "pop-up" service for concerts and festivals, something the MBTA just doesn't have the agility to do. "It's entirely different institutional constraints," Block-Schachter says. (He would know—he worked at the MBTA before coming to Bridj.)

But that's not to suggest that Bridj could replace the MBTA. Routes will only run when data show that new buses are needed. And with buses that guarantee seats for every passenger, ridership couldn't possibly match the T. After all, the MBTA moves more than 386,000 people on its buses each weekday. By comparison, Bridj has moved mere hundreds during its beta test.

MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo says those numbers are precisely why the agency doesn't view Bridj as a threat. "It's like saying that Disney World competes with a traveling carnival," he says.

Even when the service expands beyond initial test runs, Bridj isn't designed to be a shot-for-shot remake of an existing transit system, and it wouldn’t be very useful if it were. What Bridj can do is provide another option for those who don't want to drive but aren't interested in or don’t have the option to take the T, either. That's why Pesaturo wishes luck to the upstart. "We're still accomplishing the same thing," he says.

Block-Schachter says low ridership isn't a problem—at least not yet. The routes are paid for by around $3 million in venture capital funding, and only run in the mornings. The Bridj app hasn't even been released to the public, and fares aren't yet being collected. "It's great we have passengers, but we want the feedback," he says.

They're certainly getting it. During my trip, one of the two other passengers on board asked the driver to adjust the temperature, which he did. And I'd apparently just missed a test of whether soft music improved the trip. The day before, riders said they preferred silence, and now the music was gone.

For some riders, that responsiveness may be Bridj's greatest selling point. Indeed, a report from the Transportation Research Board shows that transit riders will gladly pay more for a trip or even take a longer route in exchange for amenities like guaranteed seating, a clean station, and a route that avoids transfers—all of which Bridj provides.

"People will substitute from car to bus if the bus is high quality and allows them to use their scarce time productively," says Matthew Kahn, a UCLA professor who's studied what factors lead commuters to choose public transit.

By definition, public transit has to serve the public, with affordable fares and multiple stops. Bridj doesn't allow riders under the age of 18, won't overbook a bus, only makes fixed stops, and charges $6 per ride—more than three times what a MBTA bus costs. The result is a "country club" atmosphere, says Kahn. "Some people may enjoy Bridj exactly for this reason."

Despite the luxury, Bridj founder Matt George denies that the service is about exclusivity. "It's not the nice bus, it's not the WiFi, it's not the power points," he says. Rather, it's about the route plans. George says Bridj is already in talks with other cities, including those vastly underserved by public transit, and will be announcing a second city soon and a third by the end of the year.

So even if the rise of private buses is shaping up to be more of a marathon than a sprint, the race is clearly on.

The Atlantic's CityLab: http://www.citylab.com/commute/2014/07/what-i-learned-riding-one-of-those-new-private-city-buses/375312/

The Atlantic's CityLab:

Take, for instance, Bridj's initial test route, from the tony suburb of Brookline to Cambridge's Kendall Square, near MIT. Brookline is a prototypical streetcar suburb, with an MBTA Green Line trolley that runs down its main artery. But getting to Kendall requires taking the Green Line to the Red Line—two legs of an isosceles triangle, if you will. Bridj's route follows the hypotenuse, making no intermediate stops and taking between 15 and 30 minutes to complete a journey that could take almost three times longer by MBTA.

I couldn't read past the author's lack of middle school geometry knowledge.

The rise of private buses....

Everything old is new again. Some guy gets a wagon with horses and sets up omnibus service in the 1850s, that's how things got started.

Now in 2014 they have a fancy diesel bus and it gets called "innovation." Amazing.

Back