Brunswick Development

Brunswick approves plan for 200 new apartments in hopes to ease housing crunch

202 units over four residential buildings with an additional clubhouse. "This is a full-fledged, luxury apartment community. It's different than a lot of what's being done in Brunswick," Jason Kambitsis, president of A.R. Building, told Mainebiz. "People have expectations today of elevators, floor-to-ceiling windows, and a carefree community that feels like a resort."

Very high quality rendering:

bruns.jpeg

During the Planning Board meeting, the group proposing the units in post #41 mentioned they initially intended to have minimal setback from Bath Road but wetlands prevented this. It's an underwhelming layout and design. Even though it's not far from Hannaford and a handful of restaurants, it's difficult to imagine many people will walk due to a lack of sidewalks and how generally unpleasant Cook's Corner is if your on foot. There is a longer term initiative to address pedestrian and cyclist accessibility in the area but it seems slow moving.

A couple additional renderings from the March Planning Board packet-

1648169058730.png

This is the most generic 90s suburban apartment complex I've ever seen.

It pains me to introduce you to Liberty Commons Apartments which will provide 144 units across 9 buildings on 11.08 acres and even comes with a stupid gazebo that’ll mostly sit empty and 289 parking spots. It’s especially disappointing because this area is zoned for mixed use development, which this project doesn’t provide, and they even went out of their way to put the sidewalk behind the buildings to enhance the suburban vibe.

This is on the old airbase near the very similar looking apartment buildings just across Admiral Fitch. There are a few posts about those earlier in this thread.
B1D1DD18-B2AB-4562-98C4-60010FCE248D.png
EB302BB4-1A93-4DF1-A66B-DEA2503C15EA.png

I haven’t been able to identify it but I swear there must be a modest mouse song about the place you settled down coming to reflect what you tried to leave behind. Sigh.

Repeated 4 story/16 unit 4,511 square foot buildings sprinkled across the lot. They might as well 3D print the whole thing.

The purpose of good architecture is to improve the user experience. There is no community connect idea in this proposal. In the winter this will become isolated buildings with occupants keeping to themselves. The parking lots divide the connective possibilities. They should be on the exterior, with the buildings closer and connected by a community area with skylights that can enhance the winter/cold experience (8 months of the year). Forget the pool idea. It's not needed. A nice coffee seating area and recreational tables/games would offer connectivity. All the smart residential communities being built today offer enhanced community features. Yes, it would cost a little more to build, but that would be made up with renters willing to pay more. The city should not approve this. Why build junk?

I think its the same developer who developed the bad development in Westbrook on Spring Street
View attachment 23356

That was Risbara Brothers, who are now doing the Scarborough Downs development. This looks like a different developer (Priority One Capital Partners, LLC), but this same design has been popping all over the place in Greater Portland for several years now. The Cumberland Woods development off Cumberland Street in Westbrook also had the same design. DM Roma Consulting Engineers is one of the primary culprits behind a lot of them. Pre-packaged cookie-cutter design, out-of-a-box, not requiring an architect to even sniff at it.

Last edited:
I don't get is why do these new developments look so "blah el cheapo 1980s Massachusetts"? I wish that we would see more natural and modern style architecture that you see out West and in other areas of the country. We are a forested state with a lot of natural beauty.....why do developers insist on building bland white boxes?🤮

How about more stuff like this?.....

Populus-Westside.png
Gateway-Village-Presentation-6.jpg
images-2.jpeg

Details require skills, money, and time. All of which are not in the interest of a developer trying to make a quick buck.

212 Maine
Another really cool proposal to add 2 floors of residential space above an existing downtown building at Maine St. and Station Ave (see posts 1 and 16 in this thread for details on the now complete vertical addition to the Tontine Mall). The project would create 16 residential units and one additional commercial space.

The screen grab from Google shows the existing structures. The red building on the right would be demolished, the curb cut on Maine would be removed and vehicles would enter off Station. Interestingly, this proposal features a vehicle lift which I've not previously seen used Maine.
212 Maine Existing .png

The proposed structure definitely matches the style of nearby new construction. I'm a bit disappointed that they're providing more parking than is required but fault Brunswick for requiring any at all. This building is right next to Hannaford, the train station, bus stop, several banks, a dozen restaurants, and one of the largest employers in town. Overall, I'm excited to see more housing downtown and pleased they are reusing one of the existing structures. This would be a nice addition to Brunswick.
212 Maine Proposed.png

This 4-story 63 unit apartment building proposed for the corner of Admiral Fitch and Anchor is being reviewed by the Planning Board tomorrow.
1666661757505.png

Construction on the housing development described in post 44 is well underway. Two additional buildings were recently approved as part of that project bringing the total number of units to be constructed to 181. That project is about 1000 feet down the road from this proposed structure.

Interesting RFP published today concerning the historic Central Fire Station in downtown Brunswick. Nearly .9 acres of land could be redeveloped. I’d like to see partial preservation of the structure so that it’s fit to host a commercial tenant and new housing constructed on the remainder of the site. There’s no density maximum in the applicable zone, GM6, but there are height restrictions.

Excited to see what proposals the town receives! Perhaps @Redfern has an interest in taking on a project a little up the coast??

RFP https://www.brunswickme.org/DocumentCenter/View/7795/CFS-RFP-for-Posting?bidId=27

RFP Details
AC2DF862-4E31-4F6B-B3BF-ABBD547E609C.jpeg
08E21F93-23EE-44F6-B2F4-A192FA67E36B.jpeg
AC2DF862-4E31-4F6B-B3BF-ABBD547E609C.jpeg
08E21F93-23EE-44F6-B2F4-A192FA67E36B.jpeg

Interesting note in the Planning Board material from the 3/28/23 meeting concerning the air traffic control tower on the west side of the runways at the old naval air base:

“The air traffic control tower is currently being leased by Northeastern University and their employees have been temporarily accessing the commercial space via Pine Street onto Allagash Drive. Upon the construction of the roadway extension, traffic from Wilson Avenue will be limited to tenants of the Tower Building, MRRA, Bowdoin, and The Town.”

I’m curious to know how Northeastern makes use of the tower. Also, great to see the town found a way to provide access while minimally disrupting the perimeter trail which is one of the nicest pieces of bike/ped infrastructure Brunswick has.

More info here

Last edited:
Nice day for a bike ride so I cruised around the old airbase. As the pictures below illustrate, significant progress is being made on the project described in post 44 above.

Also, the neighborhood across Landing Dr. is densifying. Multiple new multi family buildings are under construction along with single family homes.

It’s far from what I consider to be an ideal layout but the residents of these new homes will be able to easily walk to Hannaford, Flight Deck brewery, Wild Oats bakery, the rec center, pickle ball courts and trails.

Apartments described in post 44:
91B591E6-6F77-4F09-9DE2-E28E28A95913.jpeg
B808A265-72DD-41A7-8B25-7046A44DDC12.jpeg

Apartments at Coral Sea and Guadalcanal:

0F418CE1-2247-4387-B09B-37490695970A.jpeg
3A6ECD2B-AAAA-466A-98C5-1C645F5F9B75.jpeg

Apartments between Enterprise Drive and Gurnet (I saw three foundations, only one building had walls up. Not sure how many stories these will be.)
CB3E06B4-A1E7-44E6-870A-22D957A7C429.jpeg

New single family homes on Intrepid with a view of the apartments in post 44 under construction:
6FC524BE-CCA6-4D11-8E87-2E798A56CDE1.jpeg

Back