Brunswick Development

The Center for Arctic Studies and Mills Hall at Bowdoin are complete. I walked through the Arctic Museum and recommend it if you have a spare 30-45 minutes in Brunswick.
F1275E63-4249-4152-A30F-2682BDF246DD.jpeg
9EB90E9C-4A1D-4A05-9FB3-01E88B9A079C.jpeg
F8125EB4-8502-4CA8-A98C-99E94D4D9901.jpeg

Nice! Bowdoin is really upping its programs for the environment. (The College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor is too.) There is something about environmental studies that rings truer in Maine as opposed to, let's say, New Jersey or L.A. And do this in top-tier-designed energy efficient and materials relative buildings, and I think you will see many more exciting projects down its tree-lined road.

I need to walk around Bowdoin sometime.....the trees and landscaping look gorgeous.

This 4-story 63 unit apartment building proposed for the corner of Admiral Fitch and Anchor is being reviewed by the Planning Board tomorrow.
View attachment 29936

Construction on the housing development described in post 44 is well underway. Two additional buildings were recently approved as part of that project bringing the total number of units to be constructed to 181. That project is about 1000 feet down the road from this proposed structure.
This project at the corner of Admiral Fitch and Anchor is taking shape.

A710EBFD-08CC-4901-A54F-B8B94634A056.jpeg

Interesting RFP published today concerning the historic Central Fire Station in downtown Brunswick. Nearly .9 acres of land could be redeveloped. I’d like to see partial preservation of the structure so that it’s fit to host a commercial tenant and new housing constructed on the remainder of the site. There’s no density maximum in the applicable zone, GM6, but there are height restrictions.

Excited to see what proposals the town receives! Perhaps @Redfern has an interest in taking on a project a little up the coast??

RFP https://www.brunswickme.org/DocumentCenter/View/7795/CFS-RFP-for-Posting?bidId=27

RFP Details
View attachment 35061View attachment 35062View attachment 35061View attachment 35062
Update from the PPH today on this project:

“In a 7-1 vote, the [Brunswick town] council approved selling the building to Portland-based Developers Collaborative for $200,000. The company plans to spend $3.5 million to redevelop the 1919 building on Town Hall Place, converting it into Moderation Brewing’s new space on the first floor, five apartments on the second floor, a community kitchen in the basement and public green space outside.”

Great to see reuse of the fire station and, given how successful Fork Food Lab has been, the proposed community kitchen is intriguing.

I do wish construction of additional residential units was part of the proposal as Brunswick needs more downtown housing but 5 units are better than no units.

What would Maine do without pot and beer?
Load up on Allen's Coffee Brandy, of course! Oh, for industry... I don't know, but I bet the Portland subreddit would be a lot quieter.

As of 12/16, the apartment building photographed in post #64 has most of the roof on it. The asymmetry is a pleasant change of pace.
IMG_8937.jpeg

IMG_8939.jpeg

The three apartment buildings between Enterprise and Gurnet at the end of Coral Drive referenced in post #59 are nearly complete. They all look similar, here’s a representative photo-
IMG_8940.jpeg

Saw these three homes with minimal front and side setbacks going up on Forrestal between Hornet and Gurnet. Nearby construction suggests Enterprise is being extended to Forrestal and twenty additional homes will be built along the new portion of road.
IMG_8941.jpeg

By my count, since 2021 roughly 406 residences have been built or are under construction in the northeastern corner of the old airbase.

The Planning Board recently approved, “an 18-unit multi-family structure along with 21 two-bedroom standalone homes.“ The project is notable for three reasons.

1) The project has a unique layout. From the Planning Board packet, “the 21 two-bedroom homes are arranged in pocket neighborhood where parking is provided in two parking lots adjacent to the easily walkable layout of the structures. Access is provided from the parking lot to each unit via 8- to 12-foot-wide paved sidewalks…”

2)The project is taking advantage of density bonuses related to affordability and “the entirety of the 18-unit building and 2 of the 21 homes will be rented at affordable to moderate income levels as determined by the Town of Brunswick.”

3) The homes have a pleasant design that is uncommon in the area though the apartment building leaves something to be desired.

If built, residents would have about a 1.2 mile walk to downtown.
DE90EE95-4B23-4AD6-8798-97B257094A15.jpeg
DA6B81E9-707E-40E7-9876-4129DC2B3484.jpeg
C98C056D-9EAC-4549-BD46-7B24267D34BE.jpeg

The Planning Board recently approved, “an 18-unit multi-family structure along with 21 two-bedroom standalone homes.“ The project is notable for three reasons.

1) The project has a unique layout. From the Planning Board packet, “the 21 two-bedroom homes are arranged in pocket neighborhood where parking is provided in two parking lots adjacent to the easily walkable layout of the structures. Access is provided from the parking lot to each unit via 8- to 12-foot-wide paved sidewalks…”

2)The project is taking advantage of density bonuses related to affordability and “the entirety of the 18-unit building and 2 of the 21 homes will be rented at affordable to moderate income levels as determined by the Town of Brunswick.”

3) The homes have a pleasant design that is uncommon in the area though the apartment building leaves something to be desired.

If built, residents would have about a 1.2 mile walk to downtown.
View attachment 46774View attachment 46775View attachment 46776

Nice design on the 2BR homes. Is the outer pavement circuit walking only as well or just in the interior paths? Otherwise you gotta haul your groceries all the way to unit 7?

Nice design on the 2BR homes. Is the outer pavement circuit walking only as well or just in the interior paths? Otherwise you gotta haul your groceries all the way to unit 7?
My understanding is that the outer pavement is for walking though it is accessible to emergency vehicles.

So according to the scale on the site plan, it's 400 feet from the front door of Unit 7 to the outer edge of the parking lot, along a pleasant path lined with trees and your neighbors' front porches.

At the Costco in Scarborough, it's a 600-700 foot walk from the front entrance to the outer edge of the parking lot along Payne Road.

I'll never not find it hilarious how car owners will freak out if they're not able to park their car immediately next to wherever they're trying to go in a city, but think nothing of dodging other distracted drivers across a hellish 6-acre field of asphalt before walking in circles for another quarter-mile around the aisles of their big-box stores.

So according to the scale on the site plan, it's 400 feet from the front door of Unit 7 to the outer edge of the parking lot, along a pleasant path lined with trees and your neighbors' front porches.

At the Costco in Scarborough, it's a 600-700 foot walk from the front entrance to the outer edge of the parking lot along Payne Road.

I'll never not find it hilarious how car owners will freak out if they're not able to park their car immediately next to wherever they're trying to go in a city, but think nothing of dodging other distracted drivers across a hellish 6-acre field of asphalt before walking in circles for another quarter-mile around the aisles of their big-box stores.
Rock solid logic here, all centered around a homogenized "car owner"

Wouldn't the argument be that the big box stores have shopping carts, whereas from smaller stores they have to carry all their merchandise? It's why people usually bring their car to a supermarket rather than taking the train. Wheel the cart to the car, pack it up, drive the car to your driveway.

Also, not finding parking close by in the city means you now have to go searching for spots, potentially in an area you're unfamiliar with or that doesn't have many good options. Even if you're near the back of a giant lot, you know you're still in the right place and get to wheel a cart back to your car.

Not to get too off topic, but I always find it funny that people will go to the Maine Mall and be perfectly happy to park their car far away and then go do their shopping in a car-free pedestrian environment....But when they want to go to downtown Portland they expect (and demand) that they be able to park right in front of where they want to be

There's also the aspect that parking at big-box stores, and medium-box stores like your typical Hannaford for that matter, is free, whereas city-center parking is usually paid.
Not to get too off topic, but I always find it funny that people will go to the Maine Mall and be perfectly happy to park their car far away and then go do their shopping in a car-free pedestrian environment....But when they want to go to downtown Portland they expect (and demand) that they be able to park right in front of where they want to be
At the Mall, once you're inside and going from store to store, you're under a roof where it's warm and dry. Plus, since it's not a purely public space, you aren't going to be accosted by panhandlers and protesters.

Smart. Anything community focused and set within a pleasant area on the spine from Brunswick to Wells makes for a good profit model. They should
abandon the idea of a hotel renovation with the Time & Temp. building. Back when Brady did the Press Hotel, it was a complicated and frustrating build. Building
homes in this manner becomes relatively easy for crews.

...workforce housing or affordable housing guidelines, as designated by the Maine Housing Authority and the town.
Question. Does this prevent them from sneaking in upscale features? Can some of these homes then go to the highest bidder?

https://www.mainebiz.biz/article/te...ion-gets-ok-for-brunswick-housing-development

Last edited:
Smart. Anything community focused and set within a pleasant area on the spine from Brunswick to Wells makes for a good profit model. They should
abandon the idea of a hotel renovation with the Time & Temp. building. Back when Brady did the Press Hotel, it was a complicated and frustrating build. Building
homes in this manner becomes relatively easy for crews.

...workforce housing or affordable housing guidelines, as designated by the Maine Housing Authority and the town.
Question. Does this prevent them from sneaking in upscale features? Can some of these homes then go to the highest bidder?

https://www.mainebiz.biz/article/te...ion-gets-ok-for-brunswick-housing-development

So because it's complicated and frustrating it shouldn't be done? That negates all progress of humanity real quick ...

So because it's complicated and frustrating it shouldn't be done? That negates all progress of humanity real quick ...
Yes, or when the city makes it too hard or worth it to do. Simply go somewhere else with your idea and effort. The Time & Temp building goes back to 1924, and so ripping out or refinishing everything such as wiring and plumbing, then installing a massive new HVAC system is needed. If they do less than everything, it will fail (odors, for one). It would look nice and feel good when done, and I'm not saying don't do it, just get the city behind you and to promise they won't use "their wall" dictating what doors or windows you can use. Talk to Jim Brady about the Press Hotel, what he went through. He's done with historical complicated renovations. I would keep the T&T function as office, then run new wiring, etc. up the middle core to connect with the floors, the way all new office is usually done now because of the myriad of plug-in devices. I think the idea of staying in a renovated old hotel is going away. Look at some of the new boutique brand concepts being offered by the big brands. The rooms might be smaller, but the shared amenities more numerous and creative. Stay in the more upscale of hotels in Tokyo. It's tiny rooms, but creatively laid out and featured (the toilets are a challenge to use though, or without an instruction manual--lol).

Back