Brunswick transit-oriented development

These images are from Dover Khol & Associates, a New Urbanist and Smart Growth Planning & Design firm out of Miami that has done work all over the world. I attended a lecture series led by one of the principals in Portland last month...pretty cool stuff they are doing.

67137634.jpg

75000424.jpg

b12vje.jpg

b123e.jpg

b1234f.jpg

I feel like much of the controversy over new development in the eastern waterfront neighborhood regarding the scale and orientation of new development could have been avoided if there was some sort of physical planning exercise involved, say with a form-based code of the sort that would produce this sort of development (with hidden parking). Instead we have a relatively mild redevelopment scheme being implemented pursuant to what are already sort of outdated public desires in a process that is convoluted to the point where we are lucky developers are sticking it out at all. They would be happier, and the community would be too, if there were agreed upon standards for what was wanted and where, with no room for argument. That would produce a neighborhood everyone wants in a time frame the developers would benefit from (with reduced regulatory approvals and negotiations).....oh well.

^The scale and architecture (at least what's shown in the renderings below overhead view) is pretty fantastic. I hope it becomes reality. I've seen too many mid and large scale proposals for places in New England (even cities) that are much less urban than that. Hidden parking and buildings that form a nice streetwall (even if there are some gaps and green spaces) are how new developments should be done. Small blocks, buildings oriented toward the street (not toward parking lots) and well placed (not over-abundant) green space. Excellent plan. One of the best I've seen in a while. Good for Brunswick.

Yeah I agree these are fantastic renderings. If interested, check out the website of the designer, Dover, Khol & Partners out of--of all places--Miami, FL. The principal there is a lecturer for the Form-Based Codes Institute, which offered courses here in Portland last month. I googled the company website and just happened to see the Brunswick work in their portfolio. According to the write-up, however, it seems like this is just a "what could be" set of renderings, which might or might not be translated into land development regulations at a later date. They really are fantastic, I agree. It looks like if implemented that would be one of the best looking places in Maine. http://www.doverkohl.com/

P.S. regarding the FBCI courses, I am attending another next week in downtown Providence (and I promise to give the town another shot, this time leaving my pre-conceptions behind and being open minded about its renaissance....the summer weather should help my opinions, too), and registration is still open for anyone interested. At the very least, some big time urbanists will be present should anyone desire to maybe meet with them after the courses.

Back