BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | BU Central

It’s probably the best street in Boston.

Imagine the accolades it would get if it weren't just a repository for BU and MIT kids. It's like Bay Village in how completely under the radar it flies and yet how damn perfect of a place it makes.

It’s probably the best street in Boston.

It's quite nice, but the very best in Boston?

Union Park in the S. End, Beacon Street, Mt. Vernon Street, Charles Street, Comm Ave (Public Garden to Mass Ave.), Dartmouth St., Centre in JP, Newbury St., Salem St. -- I dunno that I'd say any of those are "better" than Bay State Road, but by the same token I don't think BSR is obviously superior to any of those (and I'm sure plenty others I'm blanking on).

That said: lovely street. I was one of those aforementioned BU kids for whom it was a "repository" for one year (see above), but I had the misfortune of temporarily living in probably the only truly ugly building on BSR -- the imaginatively named "The Towers" (which, being fair to THAT monstrosity, is exponentially less shitty than Warren Towers a few hundred yards to the southwest).

Last edited:
Per DZH's suggestion

51902694461_7eed27ab6a_b.jpg

51903338480_3e4a80d9b1_b.jpg

51903344740_b60f640710_b.jpg

51902694286_fce2621ef8_b.jpg

51902785473_66cd7a0704_b.jpg

51901729892_b9d11dd38f_b.jpg

51903021664_3050b136bc_b.jpg

51902694101_ffcb576c78_b.jpg

51903021509_b858423e47_b.jpg

I understand the façade treatments on all but the lowest level of this building. Is that just the same glass in strips with varying bands inset about a foot? are those inset bands at a slight angle or is it two different types of glass with different reflective properties? Wait, is it actually just glass in the inset bands and the outer bands are a reflective surface? Or is it just that images don't do it justice and I am completely off?

I understand the façade treatments on all but the lowest level of this building. Is that just the same glass in strips with varying bands inset about a foot? are those inset bands at a slight angle or is it two different types of glass with different reflective properties? Wait, is it actually just glass in the inset bands and the outer bands are a reflective surface? Or is it just that images don't do it justice and I am completely off?

From the renders, it looks like a combination of glass, a couple of different colors of metal panel (gray and red) and some reflective surfaces. It's interesting to see it on a cloudy day--I think the building will change a lot based on the sky around it.

It's really pretty amazing how fast the cladding on this is going up. They're easily doing 1-2 floors per week while other projects in the area are lucky to do that in a month.

I dunno why? But this photo kinda made my morning. And that says a lot about my day. Kidding. Love the cladding,and it adds to the skyline.

Dude. holy freakin crap!! You made it inside!! Absolutely Amazing pics!!!!

Last edited:
Another example of the stack of books design done right is the “hulic and new shabuya” building in tokyo.

04-6.jpg

Id much rather see something like this vs the round corners on 380 stuart.
NQ5CRO3Z3VW4HT2SPCYFDBPIFA.JPG

Back