BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | BU Central

From the other sides (to me anyways)
IMG_1286.jpeg

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1289.jpeg

The interiors reflect the exterior - a jarring mishmash of styles that ultimately looks dated and incongruous. That's your library, $63k/yr milking cows, slip into your bell bottoms and platform heels and go enjoy it!

Now that we've had some time to adjust to it, what are people's final verdict for this building? Here's a further-out shot from Arlington last week.

IMG_0137 by David Z, on Flickr
it still wows for me in the way the glass plays with reflection. I was on the Pike inbound on Saturday in the snow and the side facing the Charles literally looked as if it wasn't there based on the reflection; my eyes/ mind really struggled with making since of how the upper two "books" were being supported.

Really cool effect.

Now that we've had some time to adjust to it, what are people's final verdict for this building? Here's a further-out shot from Arlington last week.

IMG_0137 by David Z, on Flickr

Honestly, from that picture, it's very hard to make a judgement.

Honestly, from that picture, it's very hard to make a judgement.

I assume you've seen the other 10,000 photos on this thread, and likely seen it in person too. This picture is just one more data point out of many.

I don't mind it, and would say it looks cool from certain angles. But my verdict remains similar to my earlier sentiment: it exudes an I'm-trying-too-hard vibe, which, despite its size and complexity, means it will always be a background building in my mind. It's a solid notch or two behind architecture that has an effortless grace (a la John Hancock Tower).

Just a throwback to the CDS site about 60 years ago. The little white building was a gas station that eventually became a parking lot in the 1970;s. The odd roof building became a Burger King in the 1970's too. Whatever your opinion of the CDS building, I think we can all agree that it is an improvement over this.

1707062941013.png

The odd roof building became a Burger King in the 1970's too.
View attachment 47319
the BK was still there most of my own time as a BU student, but -- wow! that "odd roof" building looks amazing! Wish that nugget of MCM weirdness had endured. I am on of the -- if not few, seemingly not many -- fans of the new CDS, but that structure is a loss.

Back