Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

I can't wait for 200 Sudbury (the second residential tower) to start construction. It seemingly isn't part of Phase 3.
It can’t start until the old garage demo is complete and that means it will be a while :(

Reactions: FK4
It can’t start until the old garage demo is complete and that means it will be a while :(

Neither can the State Street tower be occupied...

I heard that there was a fire at the garage today or yesterday. Can anyone confirm?

The GC Garage Demolition and the North Washington Street Bridge: two screw-ups on a monumental scale.

I'd argue the screw-up in this case was building that garage in the first place. Some of this seems like bad management on HYM's part, but a lot of it is probably just how hard it is to safely demolish the structure on that site.

Has anyone been by here since the weekend garage demo work?

Was there this past weekend. It's hard to tell what's changed since November. The biggest change I could spot was the removal of the top beam (see lynqueezy's November photos for reference) on the Sudbury Street side.

Oh, this is the thread for the Government Center Garage, not the other Bulfinch Crossing/West End thread. Whoops.

Anyhow, there will be another "full scale" shutdown of the downtown portions of the Green and Orange Lines this weekend. The MBTA will also be doing other work on the Ruggles - Back Bay portion of the Orange Line, during this diversion due to the ongoing Government Center Garage demolition.

1674676615056.png

I work nearby. From my layman's eye there is always some activity going on but I am unable to discern any substantial progress in the demo, including but not limited to this past week. On a side note, a bunch of construction workers from this project were smoking pot in front of my building early in the morning. I had to walk amidst them in order to enter my building - very pungent!!. After finishing up they then sauntered back over to the demo site to resume working... maybe that's why things are taking so long....

I walk by this three times a week on days I go to the office, and I can't tell if anything is changing or not.

Upcoming service changes to accomdate the ongoing Government Center Garage demolition on the MBTA:

Regular diversion uses shuttle buses between N. Sta. and Gov't Ctr. Extended diversions use an additional shuttle bus route between Copley and Ruggles.

Previous changes:
Jan 7-8, Haymarket Station bypassed
Jan 14-15, OL/GL diversion w/ shuttle buses
Jan 21-22, Haymarket Station bypassed

Upcoming changes:
Jan 27-28, OL/GL diversion w/ shuttle buses, OL diversion extended to Ruggles
Feb 4-5, OL/GL diversion w/ shuttle buses, OL diversion extended to Ruggles
Feb 11-12, OL/GL diversion w/ shuttle buses, partial Saturday closure only. Regular weekend service after 8PM Saturday.
Feb 18-19, OL/GL diversion w/ shuttle buses, OL diversion extended to Ruggles
Feb 25-26, Haymarket Station bypassed

there is no way they anticipated this garage taking a almost decade to de-lincoln log. I mean it's barely half down. This thing is an absolute nightmare.
I would seriously be considering imploding that beast.

images

there is no way they anticipated this garage taking a almost decade to de-lincoln log. I mean it's barely half down. This thing is an absolute nightmare.
No, I think they assumed it would be quicker. But between the high profile accident and the issues with the MBTA tunnels, it probably makes more sense to take it really slow.

I would seriously be considering imploding that beast.

images

This would seem like the likely thing to do, but no, they can't because it may damage other things, such as the Orange & Green Line tunnels. And maybe surrounding buildings that they intend to keep. Anyway, it was poor sportsmanship to build a parking garage over 2 live & active subway lines. I wonder who the brainchild was that thought of this!! Hah!! :unsure:

Back