Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

No it isn't.

The way I see it, the shell of the garage is temporary. We're almost oversaturated with labs, so all it has to do is hold out long enough for the lab replacement to no longer make sense. Preferably it would turn back into more housing, split across 2 buildings, with some permeability between them. The lab will not only become a permanent barrier, (blocking the money view of State Street among other things) but will visually throw off the entire scale of downtown.

Once the downtown labs cat is out of the bag, the character of the entire city is going to be ruined. I always thought of late 20th and early 21st century Boston as a city of juxtapositions. You look down beautiful dense old-world neighborhoods, that often have skyscrapers framed at the end of the view. Instead all the views are going to become dead-zone walls. It's like if a museum had the world's most beautiful painting, but then put up a brick wall directly in front of it and told everybody to just imagine it was still there.

Since this is Boston, aesthetics SHOULD matter. Those who only care about utilitarian uses should move to any of the other cities that don't possess Boston's historical fabric and quirky juxtapositions. Labs downtown are basically this generation's Hurley buildings, city hall, etc except that they aren't simultaneously destroying existing neighborhoods. But the structures, which we rail against today, are going to be comparable travesties and permanent blights on the cityscape. In this case, we're replacing one terrible barrier with an even larger terrible barrier that's turned at a 90 degree angle to the original.

I wouldn't mind a lab building if the current proposal wasn't such an astoundingly ugly blob.

the-blob.jpg

I guess you don't have to hear people constantly bitch about the Congress Street detours, the longer walk to North Station, the constant horn-honking, or you basically don't have to look at it.
While I am one to appreciate hyperbole, that's like comparing a gangrenous festering missing limb wound (GCG) to a kid with a crappy wardrobe (new lab building). We can always change the exterior panels on the lab replacement. The GCG is/was/will continue to be hideous until it is sent fittingly to a landfill.
I just read that they demolished and rebuilt a *skyscraper* in NYC inside the time it’s taken to demo this parking garage.

Someone made a big mistake: they built it to last centuries, unlike so many other garages in Boston that practically came down with a gust of wind.

The complexity and cost of demolishing this thing has got to be mind boggling... I'm shocked it's even happening. I'm really curious what the margins are on this project for the developer.

Can we get Vegas odds on South Station Tower reaching floor 30 or this being completely demolished first?

It’s so funny that the BPDA okayed the ghastly lab building without a second thought.

The BPDA hastily approved the awful lab building because the precise time of that pivot was essentially peak pandemic-fueled urban doompocalypse. Seriously, they were not thinking straight. At that point it seemed that there was little hope for any projects getting financing, and the urban exodus of a pre-vaccine, pre-hybrid office reality was peaking. The bottom was dropping out on downtown and no one knew when it would stop. I hate this building's design, but I do keep in mind the tainted decision making mindset the BPDA was probably in at that moment. The garage had already begun being dissessmbled due to the other two towers being built, and the developer was committed via agreement to demo the rest of it. Yet, a commitment is meaningless without the possibility of getting funding. So the city did a big "oh sure, yes, whatever it will take..." If nothing else, if this thing ends up getting built, it will remind me of these tough times and warped sense of reality in 2020-2021.

The BPDA hastily approved the awful lab building because the precise time of that pivot was essentially peak pandemic-fueled urban doompocalypse. Seriously, they were not thinking straight. At that point it seemed that there was little hope for any projects getting financing, and the urban exodus of a pre-vaccine, pre-hybrid office reality was peaking. The bottom was dropping out on downtown and no one knew when it would stop. I hate this building's design, but I do keep in mind the tainted decision making mindset the BPDA was probably in at that moment. The garage had already begun being dissessmbled due to the other two towers being built, and the developer was committed via agreement to demo the rest of it. Yet, a commitment is meaningless without the possibility of getting funding. So the city did a big "oh sure, yes, whatever it will take..." If nothing else, if this thing ends up getting built, it will remind me of these tough times and warped sense of reality in 2020-2021.

I'll see your 'warped sense of reality' and raise you a 'new reality'. Companies interested in full-time office experiences have begun to move south, and many more will do so once those long commercial leases are up. Those companies staying in the north have expressed very little interest in anything other than consolidating space, not maintaining or expanding. The company I work for went from almost 4 full floors to 1, and even that 1 is largely a ghost town; C-Suite barely shows up to back-pat one another anymore.

It's easy to call the beginning of the pandemic a time of fear-based knee-jerk reactions, and perhaps a good deal of it was, but that doesn't change the reality of where we stand now. I'd love to see commercial districts outside the Seaport bustling again, but the horse has been out of the barn for a few years, and if the time comes when he's led back, the barn very likely won't be in Boston.

I'll see your 'warped sense of reality' and raise you a 'new reality'. Companies interested in full-time office experiences have begun to move south, and many more will do so once those long commercial leases are up. Those companies staying in the north have expressed very little interest in anything other than consolidating space, not maintaining or expanding. The company I work for went from almost 4 full floors to 1, and even that 1 is largely a ghost town; C-Suite barely shows up to back-pat one another anymore.

It's easy to call the beginning of the pandemic a time of fear-based knee-jerk reactions, and perhaps a good deal of it was, but that doesn't change the reality of where we stand now. I'd love to see commercial districts outside the Seaport bustling again, but the horse has been out of the barn for a few years, and if the time comes when he's led back, the barn very likely won't be in Boston.

The decision to approve a poorly designed lab for a poor location for a lab was a knee-jerk reaction based on a warped decision frame in the moment, regardless of what our new reality is.
I also disagree with your sense of new reality, but that doesn't change the discussion about the poor decision making about the lab approval. I agree there will be a substantial net reduction in office usage, but most companies are 2- or 3-day hybrid and still require offices. And a lot of people want to live near their work, even if they don't have to go in often. There will be a significant reprogramming of urban space, but none of that points to it being a sound decision mindset to put this giant lab here.

The decision to approve a poorly designed lab for a poor location for a lab was a knee-jerk reaction based on a warped decision frame in the moment, regardless of what our new reality is.

+1. Regardless of any overall economic trends, this is a bad building for the location. If the decision was really made in a panic due to companies downsizing or leaving post-covid, it (perhaps ironically) harkens back to when the garage itself was first built: a time when the city thought it was doomed, that no one would want to live in an urban center again, and the only thing to do was start bulldozing.

Like, calm down. Everything will be okay.

+1. Regardless of any overall economic trends, this is a bad building for the location. If the decision was really made in a panic due to companies downsizing or leaving post-covid, it (perhaps ironically) harkens back to when the garage itself was first built: a time when the city thought it was doomed, that no one would want to live in an urban center again, and the only thing to do was start bulldozing.

Like, calm down. Everything will be okay.

I am also tired of the 'everyone is moving south' trope about Boston industry. No one is denying big changes, but Boston is a complex ecosystem that requires a broad and creative perspective. We are genuinely lucky to be such a multi-disciplinary city. For years, firms involved in design, hardware, robotics, materials science (not to mention all of the life sciences stuff) were priced out of good locations despite wanting to be more central and near the universities. Now we are seeing several examples of people who work on these 'tangibles' grabbing (or stating an intention to grab) what was previously prime information-worker office space, such as the Hyundai/Boston Dynamics robotics institute's grab of space in the heart of Kendall and Lego's intentions to locate a substantial team within Boston Proper. And God forbid some of the people who work on such tangibles might actually be able to live near their work. Again, I don't doubt a reprogramming of space, but am genuinely curious and excited about what might materialize - the point is that we have interesting potential here, not some binary, politically-tainted, dead-set prognostication "all the office-based companies are relocating to Florida and Texas, all of their MA-based workers are full remote and therefore fleeing to Oklahoma where they can live in a McMansion for $200k, and as a result Boston has decided to completely shut down and fully repurpose itself as a refuge camp and recovery center"). Sign me up as someone fascinated about what can become of some of our great underutilized spaces in this city of potential (many of which were underutilized pre-pandemic, regardless of whatever leases they were commanding). And back to the original point: uncertain futures sometimes mean financing is impossible, so the BPDA could have taken the time to figure out how to make this space into a temporary park with future development potential (I would have even supported public funds if an interim state like that was deemed the best choice); but what we have was a rushed decision, however one looks at it, and whatever Boston's future may become.

Even if it is a lab, couldn't the BPDA have insisted on improvements to the building's droopy facade design and ugly rounded corners, at least? This has got to be one the most ungainly buildings I've seen in my life. Surely the BPDA has some leverage over the design?

Even if it is a lab, couldn't the BPDA have insisted on improvements to the building's droopy facade design and ugly rounded corners, at least? This has got to be one the most ungainly buildings I've seen in my life. Surely the BPDA has some leverage over the design?

Sure they do. This building went before the BCDC, but remember: the BCDC is a cabal made up of the same architects that design these projects. If they're too hard on a developer they might not get hired for that developer's next project.

And also, the BCDC has demonstrated that they have a somewhat different aesthetic taste than aB forumers.

Sure they do. This building went before the BCDC, but remember: the BCDC is a cabal made up of the same architects that design these projects. If they're too hard on a developer they might not get hired for that developer's next project.
Wow, talk about a conflict of interest going on in the BCDC.

There was a really interesting article in the last Boston Business Journal comparing downtown districts of major cities since 2020. Boston has actually done fairly well compared to other major cities, and is doing better than other major cities for the downtown vitality index. There were a lot of smaller cities on the top of the list, but Boston was better than Philadelphia, Denver, Chicago, Seattle, New York City, Washington DC, and San Francisco based on several factors such as Downtown Migration, Hotel Occupancy, Transit Ridership, Office Space, and Air traffic totals.

I'm not wild about the lab project at the Garage site either, but I think the death of downtowns is GREATLY exaggerated. I hope the building will go through another round of design since they don't have a tenant and the garage is taking so long to dismantle. It's also interesting to see the percentage of NEW construction concentrated in downtown districts:

1680713942643.png

Boston Seeks Developers To Build Up To 10 Stories Of Housing Atop West End Library

fit

“From parking lots to libraries, the city is looking to new avenues to bring more affordable housing to the market as Boston's housing crisis remains a top priority.
The Mayor's Office of Housing released a request for proposals this week for the redevelopment of the Boston Public Library's West End Branch. The city envisions a mixed-use development of up to 10 stories with a new library on the first floor and new affordable housing units on top, the Boston Globe first reported.”

https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/...ousing-redevelopment-of-library-branch-118442

Back