Bulfinch Triangle Infill & Small Projects

The Golden Goose is definitly do-able (plus they have the best beer selection since Martignetti's closed), but the selection's minimal and the prices are pretty brutal. That being said, having to walk to Whole Foods is probably a blessing in disquise. At least I get some excersize before pounding a box of tasty pecan tarts.

You shouldn't have to rent a car in order to get food in the middle of a city. The local shops are ok for an emergency, but you will soon go broke doing your shopping there (same goes for Whole Foods).

Thank goodness for Peapod - its trucks run up and down the North End streets seven days a week. You get some of the Stop'n'Shop prices and specials and the cost for delivery is about $12.

The neighbors, or at least, the vocal ones, have not all been on-board. All I remember is people whining that if a supermarket went in anywhere near the neighborhood, all the local grocery stores would be out of business.

Really? For years, the Regional Review (North End newspaper) was full of articles about how the neighborhood needed a supermarket and how great it was that one would finally be built.

Really? For years, the Regional Review (North End newspaper) was full of articles about how the neighborhood needed a supermarket and how great it was that one would finally be built.

You are both right. Most of the people desperately want a supermarket; however the crazies who always seem to find a platform have objected to it.

I think the next proposal should be to build a 95 story supermarket in the middle of the Greenway, casting shadows in all directions, maybe with a biolab thrown in. And a hotel and luxury condos, of course.

^^You know, this city could use a nuclear power plant...

Boston Edison once proposed one for Marina Bay in Quincy

Nuclear will be the answer in the future when one of two problems are solved:

1) They figure out a way to better handle nuclear waste (shoot it at the Sun.)

2) A viable cold-fusion plant is constructed in Iowa, that powers all of North America.

Greenway Center billboard:

img4686bj9.jpg

img4685hn7.jpg

Wow, they managed to fuse the worst in dull contextualism with the worst in boxy, unresponsive modernism. A coup de crap.

Wow, it's context is the FleetCent.... I mean Garden? That's not a smart design choice.

It does seem to compare quite unfavorably with the Avenir photos that were just posted.

Usually I'll defend these. I usually don't like people throwing the "suburban office park" mantra around. This belongs in a suburban office park. The massing suggests zero understanding of urban fabric and a coordinated medium-rise plateau, and I'm not sure what '60s holdovers designed that hemispherical part. It looks like a high school auditorium.

This is utter crap. Try again, fellas.

BRA Design Review:
Rectangles - check
Stripes- check
'Contextual' brick - check
Auto-centric - check

APPROVED!

If they removed that awful rounded corner, I might just barely accept it but it just ruins the whole design with it. The rest isn't so bad, but I wonder why they just tossed that piece of trash into the design.

For me, the round part is the only good part in the structure. It follows the street nicely.

Back