Bulfinch Triangle Infill & Small Projects

Does anybody know which parcel this is? On Page 6 of this thread there is a map of all the developable parcels in the Triangle Below Causeway ;-)

Which parcel is this slated for?

This is for Parcels 2A, 2B, and 2C.

Sorry to see that housing is no longer included in this development; the original proposal was a nice mixed use development. If the MassPike guys hadn't taken so long to get this project moving, it would have been built by now.

Re: Bulfinch Triangle Parcels 2A, B & C

As an added bonus the proposal includes restoring the ornate terra cotta lowrise on Canal St.

0704280099.jpg
Quite a bonus!

I'm only an armchair economist, but I have to wonder what Holiday Inn is thinking seeing as how they already have a giant building over by MGH.
Boston's hotel market is very far from saturated.

So I looked around the corner on friend street and realized that the building that the Holiday Inn is going into is actually the Shawmut Inn - so googled for The Shawmut inn which has a website. the message on the site is as follows:

"Thank you for your interest in the Shawmut Inn. We are currently closed while undergoing a major renovation. The hotel will reopen mid year 2008 as a Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites. We look forward to having you as our guest for the first time or as a returning friend."

oh, and here's a rendering

http://www.crefeed.com/content/img/f204409/07069___Overview___2007_10_11_HIEX_Boston.jpg

I walked by the Canal St. low-rise yesterday. Half the first floor storefronts are empty. Many of the doors leading to the stairs to the upper floors were propped open, as if to provide access for workers and/or movers. But no real visible signs of construction activity.

By lowrise do you mean the three-story terra cotta building? Is the Grand Canal still open? Osteria Rustico?

By lowrise do you mean the three-story terra cotta building? Is the Grand Canal still open? Osteria Rustico?

Yes to the first. And you got yes' supra on the other two questions. There are a couple other bite and run eateries that still looked to be open, but all the other street-side stores and businesses looked to be emptied out.

Bulfinch Triangle Development Slated For BRA Approval
By Thomas Grillo
Reporter, Banker & Tradesman (subscription required)

After years of waiting, residents of Beacon Hill, the North End and the Bulfinch Triangle can expect a thriftier supermarket in their neighborhood soon.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority, the city?s planning and development agency, is expected to approve the latest project in the Bulfinch Triangle at its board meeting today. The project, called Greenway Center, will be built on three parcels that became available with the demolition of the central artery near the TD Banknorth Garden. It will include 295,000 square feet of commercial office or research and development space, a Stop & Shop Supermarket, other first-floor retail and 200 parking spaces on two levels, according to the BRA.

While there is a Whole Foods Market in the neighborhood on Cambridge Street, many residents complain that the high?end retailer, best known for its organic foods, is too pricey for everyday items.

The new 488,000-square-foot development is bounded by Valenti Way, North Washington, Canal and New Chardon streets. It is being developed by Hines and the Raymond Property Co.

CBT Architects may have renderings, I don't have the patience to look.

Re: Bulfinch Triangle Parcels 2A, B & C

BT-P2ABC-rend1.jpg

Proposal for Parcel 2A,B&C. The developers are Hines and Raymond Properties. Once again, Boston's own Starbucks of architecture did the design. I think they did a good job on this one. Details from BRA: between 170 - 180 condominium units, 15,000sf of retail space, a 50,000sf supermarket and (233) parking spaces

As an added bonus the proposal includes restoring the ornate terra cotta lowrise on Canal St.

0704280099.jpg

I think this is the one, which was posted back in the beginning of the thread. The CBT site has the same rendering and a couple others.

God I loathe CBT. Their mediocre designs are slowly smothering the city in a bland ooze. Can't they do something different for once?

What is that thing at the corner of Canal? Some kind of PoMo Trevi Fountain?

Also, I assume the lowrise portion is the supermarket? Why, oh why can't any of the newer supermarkets in Boston maintain the streetwall? The Prudential Shaw's has the same abysmal problem.

File under:
ablarc said:
21. don't be afraid to risk a little hokeyness

I say it works for 15 months before it fails.

Why, oh why can't any of the newer supermarkets in Boston maintain the streetwall?

In considering this, the only successful (large) urban supermarket in town is the Whole Foods beneath the Symphony garage.

Also, I assume the lowrise portion is the supermarket? Why, oh why can't any of the newer supermarkets in Boston maintain the streetwall? The Prudential Shaw's has the same abysmal problem.

It looks to be a solid three to four stories high...perhaps even more. I don't think that interrupts the streetwall at all. In fact, I think it provides a better rhythm to the composition.

I would argue that CBT has done a very good job here. We don't want all our buildings to be superstar buildings. This is a sedate structure with good massing. It's been said here before, but the vast majority of the city's buildings should simply blend into the urban context. I give CBT credit for knowing its place in this situation.

I'm still hung up on the name (yeah, it's becoming a pattern)

Greenway Place?? This building is not near the so-called Greenway, and interestingly.

This looks to be one of those "devil in the details" projects - if they get the finishes right, it'll be a nice building but if the finishes/brickwork sucks, this will be another piece of generic vomit. I love the Raymond/Hines team though - both developers produce really, really high quality stuff, so I'm very hopeful.

Last edited:
Considering that CBT's offices are a stone's throw away, I'd like to think they'll put a bit more effort into this project than normal. Or at least that's the positive spin I'm gonna put on it.

I think the key in this area, as someone mentioned, is that it plays nice with it's neighbors. If the materials are decent this should fit nicely as an end cap to the Triangle. Now...if we can just get rid of teh Gov't Center Garage! What's the lifespan on that thing anyway?

Back