Bunker Hill Mall Apartments | 201 Rutherford Avenue | Charlestown

Still don’t understand why they would build like that around the 99. Seems like a lose/lose between the restaurant and developer.
Restaurant gets to stay open through existing lease and jobs are preserved.
Developer gets to construct 240-unit multi-family TOD and reap millions of dollars once occupied.

That doesn't sound like a lose/lose.

Building a brand new apt building around a dusty old 99...when you could build an interesting retail space right into the development, while still preserving jobs and attracting tenants to something a little more interesting.

Still don’t understand why they would build like that around the 99. Seems like a lose/lose between the restaurant and developer.
Yeah, imagine signing a lease on one of the units overlooking the 99 and finding out the first time you open the window that you have to contend with grill exhaust.

Pure speculation: seems like more of a power play to me. They probably asked 99 to forego their lease, they said nahhhh. Developer has the space so are calling their bluff and saying it can get started anyway.
View attachment 9782
View attachment 9783

Prediction? 99 moves into the first floor retail space on a discounted rent, and the restaurant turns into a pretty nice courtyard.

This is exactly the result I see happening here.

Is the first floor units new? I know the law says you have to have two but if it were me I would prefer to not have a public entrance like that.

BCDC:
This project also seems to include improvements to the Bunker Hill Mall facades.

I like the Main Street facade effort, but can't help but assume it's lipstick to get the project approved. That Main street stretch should be bulldozed and rebuilt (a la OneCharlestown), but my guess is the owner wants to wait until that effort is well underway before walking into an already anxiety-ridden community meeting.

Re: the developer having to wrap this around the 99 restaurant, I honestly feel this creates an opportunity for much better urbanism here. Instead of ending up with one mega development per block, as is so the norm today, this "hold-out" hopefully allows for the block to broken up and a future development to create a more varied and granular streetscape.

Back