California City

What happened to Salton Sea? Did it just become too saline, and nothing could survive, or what? It's just a big lake in the middle of the desert.

My favorite part was "Ray & Carol's Motel by the Sea."

And why, in a coastal state, did they feel that they needed to have more seaside communities in the desert?

Seriously, just Google.

The creation of the Salton Sea of today started in 1905, when heavy rainfall and snowmelt caused the Colorado River to swell and breach an Imperial Valley dike. It took nearly two years to control the Colorado River?s flow into the formerly dry Salton Sink and stop the flooding. As the basin filled, the town of Salton, a Southern Pacific Railroad siding and Torres-Martinez Indian land were submerged. The sudden influx of water and the lack of any drainage from the basin resulted in the formation of the Salton Sea.

Wikipedia

Some of the best interior So-Cal apocalyptic photography comes from the small settlement of Bombay Beach, across the Salton Sea from Salton City. I highly recommend Flickring it. If half-submerged motels and trailer parks are your thing...

What the hell are they trying to do in that video? It's not a race...it's just...dicking around with cars in the desert?

speaking of dicking around in the desert, a little south of bombay beach is slab city on the eastern side of salton sea. it has to be the most bizarre community in america, makeshift tent/shack/RV town built on the ruins of an abandoned military base. artist communes, gangsters, libretarian retirees, and those just passing through. Did anyone see "into the wild"?
the landscape and bizarre places of the mojave/colorado deserts are worth a cross country trip.

Judging from the name of the YouTube poster, I think the video is of a rally rather than a race. In a rally, competitors are running against the clock rather than directly against each other simultaneously.

it makes for a good and more interesting discussion as well.

I hear that every now and then about 10,000 fish wash up on the beach and it can be smelled from 30 miles away.

Back