Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Re: NorthPoint Cambridge (The one that was train yards, the big plan.)

I wouldn't mind seeing the South Boston Waterfront or Allston railyards made in that image, or the likes of Charles River Park / the West End and Government Center remade in that image, either.

If we aren't going to build tall, thin and elegant (lest there be a "Manhattanization" or a "shadow occupation" of Boston), the best we can hope for is replicating the successes of the South End, Back Bay, North End, Beacon Hill, etc., by zoning for small lots and variegated uses.

Alas, the only thing stopping that is the "power vertical" of Menino/the BRA ...

It's a good plan, but is the idea here to eliminate McGrath? I'd be all for that, but not sure it's feasible. And that's where the weakness of Northpoint really is - it's cut off from everything else. So long as McGrath is there, the grid can't be organically continuous from East Cambridge.

Nice job, charlie_mta.

This is the way cities should be built.

Leon Krier approves what you've done and is specially pleased that there are no high-rises in your plan.

McGrath Highway could be greatly downscaled so that it is no more of a barrier than, say, Broadway in Somerville.

McGrath Highway could be greatly downscaled so that it is no more of a barrier than, say, the Rose Kennedy Greenway.

^Fixed your quote Ron.

It's a good plan, but is the idea here to eliminate McGrath? I'd be all for that, but not sure it's feasible. And that's where the weakness of Northpoint really is - it's cut off from everything else. So long as McGrath is there, the grid can't be organically continuous from East Cambridge.

No, McGrath Highway would be rerouted to be alongside the railway to the north, thereby skirting the area. You can see the rerouted highway on my rendering.

Right - that would really knit the area together. So then McGrath would be discontinuous from the Charles River Dam Bridge?

Nice job, charlie_mta.

This is the way cities should be built.

Leon Krier approves what you've done and is specially pleased that there are no high-rises in your plan.

Because this is exactly what you do.

I agree, McGrath could be a start??? The area is marketed as "Cambridge" however when I think of that area it is more fitting of downtown Boston style living. Not the quieter side streets in some parts of Cambridge. *grin*

The views can be so-so. On one side you have views of the highway/Zakim Bridge -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zakim_bridge3.jpg
(This image looks to be from the tower's vantage point?);

On another side is the backside of the TD Bank, Spaulding Hospital, and adjacent Suffolk Jail; the third side is the Charles River/C.R. Dam and the last is McGrath Highway and environs. Surrounding streets are all arterial roads with heavy traffic. I would have thought that Cambridge could have pushed to have the 69 bus (Harvard-Lechmere) continue on-wards perhaps to Community College (OL) with a stop in this development that-way the community would have a bus traveling directly to Harvard Square. Or perhaps the 68 bus (Harvard-Kendall) continuing from Kendall Square. For shopping I think the closest supermarket is in Somerville (Twin City Plaza)? Again no direct bus access. So there to is one time at least that residents would need cross the McGrath highway. I know Lecemere is nearby but it is still roughly a 10 min walk. I have walked the Lechmere-North Station route before it looks close and the GL does it quickly but it is a good distance still.

The 80, 87, and 88 buses from Lechmere all stop at Twin City Plaza, where the Shaw's supermarket is.

Right - that would really knit the area together. So then McGrath would be discontinuous from the Charles River Dam Bridge?

McGrath Highway doesn't need to be a straight line. Highways are there to serve the city, not vice-versa. The current Prison Point bridge could be eliminated west of the rail crossing, and replaced with a ground level boulevard (as shown on my rendering), with a lane added each side to accomodate the traffic from a relocated McGrath/O'Brien Highway. Traffic would not be hugely impacted by relocating McGrath/O'Brien.

A quick and dirty rendering of a possible road network for NorthPoint, including relocating McGrath/O'Brien Hwy, is:

npointroads.jpg

This would knit the new area into the existing East Cambridge neighborhood.

Charlie, all your stuff makes too much sense.

The amateur professionals in planning departments all know this isn't possible or even desirable; they learned that in school at the knees of sages.

A quick and dirty rendering of a possible road network for NorthPoint, including relocating McGrath/O'Brien Hwy, is:

I just thought I'd add in: a connection between the McGrath to I-93 could be made with ramps and decks over the tracks where the inner belt was supposed to be. Would better eliminate surface street congestion of realigning it.

This would knit the new area into the existing East Cambridge neighborhood.

That makes sense. Just the other day I was looking up some info and came across a letter of opposition from Cambridge Council member Tim Toomey regarding the moving of Lechmere and the fact that pedestrians will have to cross that highway. He challenged the leaders to make sure that safe access is provided between the new station and E. Cambridge so you may have resonance with him easily.

Green Line Environmental Impact Report Comments - January 11, 2010 (Near the bottom of the page)

He states:
Increased pedestrian access - Both the new Lechmere station and Brickbottom should have safe alternatives for pedestrian access. "The relocation of Lechmere station across the McGrath/O?Brien Highway to the Northpoint parcel means that thousands of commuters from East Cambridge will now be required to cross a major, multi-lane highway to access the Green Line. It is imperative that the protection of these commuters is a top priority for the Commonwealth, and that we ensure that pedestrian access from the south of McGrath is consistently and reliably safe."

If we aren't going to build tall, thin and elegant (lest there be a "Manhattanization" or a "shadow occupation" of Boston), the best we can hope for is replicating the successes of the South End, Back Bay, North End, Beacon Hill, etc., by zoning for small lots and variegated uses.

I agree. I've always wondered why Boston's officials and NIMBY's are so vehemently against "Manhattanization" because Boston is supposed to be unique and world-class...but they're so quick to embrace a faceless box which could be found in any major suburb in the country.

I would love to see new developments emulate the South End, Back Bay, North End, Beacon Hill as long as they don't do it in the half-assed manner of the new low rise developments in Charles River Park.

I guess that raises another question...would you rather prefer five big, shitty boxes or twenty five small, shitty boxes?

Personally I think I'd prefer twenty five small ones if for no reason other than it opens up the possibility in the future they may be individually sold and destroyed by a variety of different developers.

Re: Archstone North Point (The one that looks like the Landmark Center)

Yea yea, it's not really in this development, but it's all good

That bridge sucked walking in January

Re: Archstone North Point (The one that looks like the Landmark Center)

So much promise...

Back