Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Re: NorthPoint Cambridge (The one that was train yards, the big plan.)

The smaller blocks appear more urban and congruent with the fabric of East Cambridge. I don't however see the need for another "central park" with the giant North Point Park all of a block away.

I'm surprised they aren't putting a penthouse on top of the Maple Leaf (weird name) building, but all and all it looks like a really nice conversion. The multi-pane windows are certainly more interesting than what they did on say, Porter 156.

I'm glad they are going for smaller blocks, but it appears its still going to be one dominating building per block. Still better then the former plan though. And at this point I want to scream "build something!", rather then keep going through the process over and over again.

My only real issue are these streets with grassy medians. There is already the massive "central park", and its not like these streets are opening up views to anything; the train yards lay beyond. If anything they should be narrower to help keep the noise out of the central area.

LOL @ the insane wide streets between parcels K & L and M & N. Whaaaaat?

And I agree with davem, why are huge massive road dead ends happening here? Why do any roads go beyond North St at all? Do we really need 7 roads, 5 of them being very wide (and 3 of those being insane) to lead us to BET and rail yards?

As for the Central Park, it seems to be some sort of jazzed up bio-retention storm water filtrating and holding type of thing. I think the people that live there will like it. It's more for their recreation. The other park is more of a destination and ped/bike thru-way once the bridge is done. There might be something leading them to not be able to build on this common space, such as the Millers River perhaps.

Yeah, this isn't the suburbs. Ridiculous.

As for the central park, I'm sure it will be much nicer once it's surrounded by buildings. Think long term people.

But the Site Overview diagram that is posted for the Maple Leaf Lofts uses the old version from back in 2006. The newer version has First Street curved over to the right and lots A, B, C, I and others are smaller. Residential areas are moved away from the train tracks. The developers would like to see a smaller supermarket in Lot I with residential above. But then what happens to the local farmer's market that was planned? Plans have changed a lot since 2006.

And I agree with davem, why are huge massive road dead ends happening here? Why do any roads go beyond North St at all? Do we really need 7 roads, 5 of them being very wide (and 3 of those being insane) to lead us to BET and rail yards?

If the area between M and N is handled correctly it could be nice. View it as an extension of the park (a small scale version of where the public garden meets Comm ave), rather than a wide street. As long as the asphalt itself is narrow and the buildings on either side create a solid street wall I don't think there is anything necessarily suburban about the layout.

How would you solve the problem of dead end streets? One gigantic block, likely covered by one gigantic landscraper?

I'm finding that the links are down... anyone have a working link to the plans youre referencing?

1z6ru5h.png

They finally put up the new website at northpointcambridge.com that was supposed to be done in the Fall of 2011. Hope to see a lot of activity this year.

They finally put up the new website at northpointcambridge.com that was supposed to be done in the Fall of 2011. Hope to see a lot of activity this year.

Tango

http://northpointcambridge.com/neighborhood.html

neighborhoodMap.jpg

The stuff on their website - while not very user friendly -- hints of potential

15 to 20 years from now it could be another SPID

Do we even know what building will be constructed next?

Lechmere Station will be the next building. And that will be in 2030. Next by the developer? No clue. 2043.

Tango

http://northpointcambridge.com/neighborhood.html

neighborhoodMap.jpg

The stuff on their website - while not very user friendly -- hints of potential

15 to 20 years from now it could be another SPID

It's as though they drew in a mini-park in almost every place there could be an active corner. Because a patch of grass and a few shrubs = valuable green space.

Developers in Boston love to rely on mediocre gestures to invoke something far more useable and meaningful.

Developer: "Look! A few square feet of grass, some shrubs and a sapling! Aren't you glad I didn't put a nasty building there?"
Bostonian: "What do you want me to do with it?"
Developer: "Enjoy it! It's a park!"
Bostonian: "But it's (up against a monumental, blank wall of a building / sandwiched between six layers of traffic) and the sapling you planted will take 20 years to grow and only provide shade for the cars driving by."
Developer: "But it's a park! You have green space!"

+1

Well played, Arborway.

It's as though they drew in a mini-park in almost every place there could be an active corner. Because a patch of grass and a few shrubs = valuable green space.

Developers in Boston love to rely on mediocre gestures to invoke something far more useable and meaningful.

Developer: "Look! A few square feet of grass, some shrubs and a sapling! Aren't you glad I didn't put a nasty building there?"
Bostonian: "What do you want me to do with it?"
Developer: "Enjoy it! It's a park!"
Bostonian: "But it's (up against a monumental, blank wall of a building / sandwiched between six layers of traffic) and the sapling you planted will take 20 years to grow and only provide shade for the cars driving by."
Developer: "But it's a park! You have green space!"

To be fair, the Somerville Community Path extension tied to GLX is eventually going to terminate here. And get connected to the Esplanade paths (hopefully with rebuilt ped overpass at Leverett Circle). So what greenspace they do have is going to be a pretty key node at tying together the urban trail system. It'll be a pretty nice spot when all the paths finally connect. I would agree, though, that token patches of grass ≠ useful greenspace. I hope the concept gets fleshed-out a lot more and justified on usefulness grounds at tying together the neighborhood and its connections.

As an aside, as great as those drawings look that's still not going to be a functionally knit neighborhood unless they tackle the elephant in the room: that gaping Route 28 chasm dividing the neighborhood. High-speed 6 lanes is going to be big isolating factor until O'Brien Hwy. gets busted down to 4 lanes with functional bike-striped shoulder, better sidewalks with less hair-raising proximity to traffic, and more inviting center medians to make crossing all those lanes a less daunting sprint. Plus restoration of the Leverett ped overpass and blowing up the McGrath monstrosity that feeds all that awful high-speed traffic out of Somerville. The state's been sort of implicit that that's all a goal. But if Northpoint and Phase I GLX (Lechmere relocation first) are really gonna happen soon, and reach their full potential, that general goal has to start evolving into detailed specifics. The deal to streetscape Lechmere Sq. isn't yet specific enough to traffic-calming Lechmere Sq.

To be fair, the Somerville Community Path extension tied to GLX is eventually going to terminate here. And get connected to the Esplanade paths (hopefully with rebuilt ped overpass at Leverett Circle). So what greenspace they do have is going to be a pretty key node at tying together the urban trail system. It'll be a pretty nice spot when all the paths finally connect. I would agree, though, that token patches of grass ≠ useful greenspace. I hope the concept gets fleshed-out a lot more and justified on usefulness grounds at tying together the neighborhood and its connections.

As an aside, as great as those drawings look that's still not going to be a functionally knit neighborhood unless they tackle the elephant in the room: that gaping Route 28 chasm dividing the neighborhood. High-speed 6 lanes is going to be big isolating factor until O'Brien Hwy. gets busted down to 4 lanes with functional bike-striped shoulder, better sidewalks with less hair-raising proximity to traffic, and more inviting center medians to make crossing all those lanes a less daunting sprint. Plus restoration of the Leverett ped overpass and blowing up the McGrath monstrosity that feeds all that awful high-speed traffic out of Somerville. The state's been sort of implicit that that's all a goal. But if Northpoint and Phase I GLX (Lechmere relocation first) are really gonna happen soon, and reach their full potential, that general goal has to start evolving into detailed specifics. The deal to streetscape Lechmere Sq. isn't yet specific enough to traffic-calming Lechmere Sq.

F-Line -- the O'Brien is not going to shrink anytime soon -- the traffic is bad enough as it is already
However, once you get down off the elevated section the traffic slows as there are lights and so cross walks do work

F-Line -- the O'Brien is not going to shrink anytime soon -- the traffic is bad enough as it is already
However, once you get down off the elevated section the traffic slows as there are lights and so cross walks do work

If the could keep the existing viaduct over O'Brien as a pedestrian walkway, that would be nice too.

Little squares all abutting the larger park. Why?

This is Corbu-in-disguise: throw streets around the "towers" and streets around the parks and, voila, no one will recognize that it's the same-'ol towers-in-the-park.

Back