Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

20200808_094906.jpg

20200808_094836.jpg

20200808_094831.jpg

They are building yet another crane, bringing us to a total of 5 spread across 3 buildings

The fourth crane on the Lot G/Lot H sites was cabling up last night (late!) and appears to be operational this morning after calibration (early!).

After the bathtub is poured for Lot I, we should expect at least one one more crane arriving at the next prior to winter.

...I really need to get back on my photo game... (thanks, Bee).

Is it me or do those walls look flimsy given it's height and width?

You are looking at discontinuous walls that shield a *deep* parking L1, regular L2, and half of a regular L3, as well as the upper and lower lobby area (part of which will be glassed). The walls reach to the Gilmore Bridge's height (54ft), while the parking core reaches to the top of the upper lobby only (then it evolves into part of the standard elevator core, at 69ft).

The building is a steel structure that doesn't rely on the discontinuous outer wall for vertical load support. Rather, some wall portions are coupled to the steel skeleton for support. It's akin to a partial version of the bathtubs beneath Lots EF, JK, G, and I, if those tubs reached an extra 54ft with coupled steel that reached through the steel tub piling form work.

Additionally, some of that 2ft thick concrete will be completely hidden by compacted subgrade and landscaping (especially at the extended interface with the B. Murphy staircase), while some areas will not sport the high wall concrete at all (the lower lobby, accessed from Child ST: BeeLine's first image for Lot H).

Hope that helps a bit.

Back