Cambridge Street

Mike

Reaction score
Cambridge Street gets new look: Finally, nearly finished
By Jay Fitzgerald
Boston Herald General Economics Reporter
Sunday, July 15, 2007

Most of the orange cones, concrete traffic barriers, piles of bricks and construction equipment are gone.

Instead, clean and wide sidewalks, old-fashioned street lights, new trees and other plantings dominate Boston?s Cambridge Street - as well as a few outdoor cafes that have recently opened for the first time on the half-mile road stretching from the Charles/MGH T station to City Hall.

Yes, the long-delayed and controversial Cambridge Street reconstruction project is nearly complete - only four years late.

?It looks very good - excellent,? said Alex Marder, owner of Simmons Liquors on Cambridge Street, as he surveyed a once hard-scrabble road that now has a median-strip planter with roses, flowers and bushes.

But like other merchants, Marder said he?s still upset with the slow pace of construction on a $6.2 million project that was supposed to be completed in the fall of 2003 and then kept going and going and going, one blown deadline after another.

?It never stopped,? said Marder, complaining that on some days he didn?t see any workers on site and other days he saw only a handful of workers.

Todesca Equipment, the project?s contractor, maintains design changes, budget constraints, delays caused by the 2004 Democratic National Convention and other factors led to all the blown deadlines. A spokesman for Todesca said last week that the company bears no responsibility for the delays.

But that?s not what the state?s Highway Department said in 2004, when it temporarily disqualified Todesca from bidding on future state contracts due to subcontractor pay disputes and performance reviews on the Cambridge Street project and another road project in Milton.

Meanwhile, the city of Boston has consistently blasted Todesca for the slow pace of work, while street merchants have complained that the years-long construction mess drove away business. A few years ago, the Beacon Hill Times started publishing a prominent regular feature that updated readers on the construction progress and controversies.

But all of that should soon be a thing of the past - perhaps.

John Lamontagne, a spokesman for the highway department, said the project should be ?substantially completed? by early August and ?100 percent? complete by Labor Day.

Yesterdy and today, work crews were expected to finish repaving the last portion of Cambridge Street near City Hall.

?It took a long time and now it?s finally done,? said Elie Nakhoul, co-owner of the Phoenicia restaurant on Cambridge Street.

?I think it will bring more people into the area,? said Nakhoul, who hopes next year to have new outdoor seating on the recently widened brick sidewalk.

Link

And then they will rip it all up again to build the Red-Blue connector!! Holy hell we can't see past our noses in this city! :x

No, it's more prescient than it seems. There won't be a Red-Blue connector for another eighty years.

But that's what kills me. If there was any type of strong, informed, intelligent leadership in this city they would have combined the two projects. We can't do anything right in this town!

This project took longer than it should have, but remember, in the 1970s, this side of Beacon Hill was a slum. Incredible progress has been made here, it's just that, in a world of limited resources and unlimited possibilities, some projects are done and others are not. I wouldn't call that a failure of leadership, I'd call that a reality.

img7322mu8.jpg

img7325qo9.jpg

Brick sidewalks and raised landscaping...of course.

Nice paving job. When are they going to do the striping?

Finally, it does look nice.

I doubt that there ever will be a red-blue connector as the one of the main reason for it, a one stop connection to the airport, is no longer a problem with the advent of the silver line. The MBTA is also against it.

Personally, I'd rather see the urban ring come to fruition before the red-blue connector if it is a matter of costs, which is always the main factor.

underground said:
This project took longer than it should have, but remember, in the 1970s, this side of Beacon Hill was a slum. Incredible progress has been made here, it's just that, in a world of limited resources and unlimited possibilities, some projects are done and others are not. I wouldn't call that a failure of leadership, I'd call that a reality.

Was it really a slum? MGH has always been there. It couldn't have been that bad.

I wonder why all the street lights are on in the middle of the day.

chumbolly said:
I wonder why all the street lights are on in the middle of the day.

They might be gas lamps. The lights in Charlestown are on all day because it's apparently cheaper to run them than to turn them off.

Was it that bad? No. Was it bad? Yes. The North Slope originally housed the people who worked in the mansions on the South Slope. The gas stations, county jail, and bulldozed West End are remnants of a much different time.

^ I had a friend who lived in a coal bin on the "bad" side. I was a frequent visitor; I envied his digs.

Back