Can Height Make Right?

PaulC

Reaction score
This is a chance for us to learn the errors of our ways

Fenway CDC will sponsor a forum - "Can height make right" about skyscrapers in the Fenway and adjacent neighborhoods. Panel will include:
architect Alex Krieger
BRA deputy Prataap Patrose
State Rep Byron Rushing

Northeastern University
Curry Student Center
Room 442
350 Huntington Avenue
Wednesday June 10th
6 pm

Last edited:
Anyone want to bet me $100 I can predict exactly with Rushing will say?

ooops, i'll change the above too
Wednesday June 10th

I think I should be able to make this one.

I may stop by as well. It may be, by turns, informative and laughable.

Is there parking over there? I might try to go after work, but won't ever be able to make it if i must take the T.

I'll be there, hopefully not too late to get a ring-side seat. Black trench-coat, Bill Lee-era Sox hat, scowl.

We can celebrate the Red Sox's victory over the Yankees afterward.

Sadly, I'm not going to able to make this.

Hopefully one of you attending will be so kind as to give us a recap :).

The notes I took:

* 30% of "Boston" (downtown neighborhoods) is "unprotected" - non-landmarked, according to an estimate by the Boston Redevelopment Authority guy, much less than other major US cities

* 60-70% of housing demand these days is for "singles" housing, whereas in the old days, 70-80% of housing was built for couples, couples with kids (BRA guy)

* zoning is a "great tool" and a "baseline" said one panel member

* Byron Rushing talked about the "sunshine in my district" and said he and Marty Walz had "opened the discussion" on restricting shadows from buildings "in our districts" including Copley Square and the Esplanade

* the city needs to have more affordable housing (audience member)

* the city's residents should demand affordable housing and the city's affordable housing set-aside regulation (13% of any new development) works (panel member)

* the city of Boston will sink into the sea because of global warming and we need to address the causes (Byron Rushing)

* there was a lot of talk about "pedestrian counts" - how many pedestrians in an area, I guess

* there was no construction in Boston between building of US Shoe building and the "Old" John Hancock buildng, according to their consensus (US Shoe is where, again?)

* "No one wants 'no development' in the city," said one panel member

* criticism that the BRA is "moving away from zoning into negotiation" by Alex Krieger (sp)

* "the Red Sox wanted to have high structures on corners of new ballpark but neighborhood activists said, "NO!"; then 1330 Boylston came along and was 'somehow' able to build tall, how did this happen??" - sarcastic surprise by Alex

* NYC allowed buildings higher than zoning regulations if they promised open space, said one, said panel member

* Northeastern University is responsible for all the arson happening in the city of Boston for the last 100 years; it is "Arson University", said audience member

* 1330 Boylston was built within zoning regulations, says BRA

* "A 27-story building is better than a 22-story building if with the five extra stories you get a police station, a school, that's a good deal, says guy on panel

My thoughts (expressed):

* 40 years of no growth / development in Boston would be considered nirvana to some neighbors assembled in the room, trust me

* I thought (honestly) that zoning wasn't a "tool" or "baseline" but law (the implication being, shouldn't it be? Why else have them if they are ignored?)

* (to Alex), "The answer to your question is, if you want to build tall, include a health center in the ballpark's design" (implication, neighbors can be bought off)

* tall buildings are "green" buildings - if you really want the city of Boston to stop sinking into the ocean, build tall buildings - they are "greenest"

* the city's affordable housing set-aside has done absolutely nothing to bring down the cost of housing for the vast majority of Bostonians; in fact, it has artificially inflated the cost of housing for the rest of the people, without solving or even addressing the issue of affordable housing crisis (a generous estimate of new housing built in Boston during the past decade is 10,000 units; even being very very generous that 13% of this was "affordable" as set forth by city regulations, this is 1,300 units; Boston has 255,000 units of housing, so .5% of housing in Boston is "affordable" - celebrate!)

* Northeastern University is awesome and should be congratulated on everything it has accomplished in the past 20 years, since I graduated from it, in 1989; it's amazing what it's done

My thoughts (not expressed):

* the legislation filed by Reps. Walz and Rushing was a sneaky attempt to regulate what should be decided upon by the citizens and residents in Boston; it didn't "start a conversation"; by taking it out of residents' control, it actually STOPPED the conversation.

As well, he didn't file legislation that affected HIS district, he filed legislation that affected HIS district as well as the 3rd Suffolk District, which includes the entire Rose Kennedy Greenway (MY district). He and Marty Walz filed this after ex-Speaker DiMasi quit because they knew there was no representative in the district who could fight against it. They took advantage of the power vacuum.

As I said to a woman who criticized me afterward, "It's fine to say 'Not in my back yard,' but don't try telling me, 'Not in my back yard!'

You'll have to say that out loud a couple times for it to make sense. With inflection, it means that it's fine for her and Byron Rushing to live in the Fenway and tell all developers "No!", but don't be coming to MY district and telling ME what I can and cannot do.

Marty and Byron's chosen candidate in next week's election for 3rd Suffolk State Rep, Aaron Michlewitz, will complete their troika, if elected next Tuesday. If you think "nothing gets done" in Boston now, you should fear what will happen when the three amigos get going.

Or, help make sure it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the whole shadows issue. Who comes up with this stuff? The best park in the city (Post Office Square Park) has tall buildings all around it, yet somehow it's incredibly popular. The Greenway, which has little shade and gets a lot of sunlight is "too hot" in the summer, say many users of it. Trees cast shadows. Are trees now bad too? This whole argument seems like a anti-development red herring to me...

The loons were out last night, to be sure.

I'd wanted to ask Rep. Rushing (after his truly inspirational oration concerning his love for sun and sky) how many police officers, fire fighters, EMS professionals, school teachers, librarians, and other vital city employees can be hired with tax revenues derived from the sun and sky. Alas, the moderator didn't call on me.

Alex Krieger found my thoughts humorous after the meeting; if anyone has an opportunity to attend one of Prof. Krieger's public lectures, you should.

Yeah, I ended up being able to attend this last night. John's post is a pretty accurate summary of what was discussed.

As I said to Brut afterward, the meeting was a sort of microcosm of Boston's development process and illustrated some of the glaring shortcomings inherent in that process.

The three planners spoke first. Krieger unapologetically advocated the virtues of tall buildings, while Patrose and Dixon were far more conciliatory to the anti-development portion of the crowd. All three did basically agree, though, that tall buildings bring people and vitality to the city; they are a necessary and inevitable part of Boson's future and the community process should be used to make these projects better serve the city. All three spoke compellingly and articulately, supporting their arguments with examples and statistics.

Then Byron Rushing spoke. He rambled on at length, about, among other things, good tall buildings and bad tall buildings, shadows and sunshine, and the north slope of Beacon Hill. I gather he was advocating that tall buildings are bad, but I couldnt follow his logic, if there was any. Maybe it was just me though, because as he meandered, many in the crowd nodded and chuckled approvingly.

There was a large anti-development contingent present, maybe about half the crowd. It seems to me that this NIMBY sentiment is rooted in a fear that their beloved neighborhoods will be changed, possibly for the worse, by new development. This is understandable. But as a women in the crowd poignantly reminded us, the current residents of any neighborhood will not live forever and should not demand that the neighborhood be preserved axactly as it is for all eternity. "We're just passing through," she said. "Let's let other people have their turn."

There was also a lot of debate about transparent zoning versus constant negotiation. I was very surprised to openly hear that negotiation, not zoning, is the method utilized by the BRA to determine what projects are built and what projects are not.

Apparently Boston's current zoning is really just a starting point and really has no real purpose other than to get the negotiation going--if the project lies in a PDA, then zoning is pretty much irrelevant altogether. But once the negotiation gets going, the question simply becomes, if we let you build X, what will you give us? Maybe I'm just naive, but this sort of sounds like extortion.

Legal and ethical qualms aside, this process of negotiation also strikes me as counterproductive and inefficient. Not only does it bog down the process and make cohesive, comprehensive planning impossible, but it also frequently results in inferior projects. There's no such thing as a free lunch, and trade-offs are just that: trade-offs. As Krieger pointed out, the developers can negotiate too, and they do.

It really goes without saying that Boston needs to reform the development process. If this city is to compete and prosper in the future, I strongly believe that we need intelligent, transparent zoning that serves and benefits the city as a whole.

It was a really interesting forum and I'm glad I actually got to make it. I left there with a real respect and admiration for Krieger. As someone who has attended quite a few community meetings, I found him to be a real breathe of fresh air.

Good seeing both Brut and John.

Also John, a word of advice: never argue with crazy people. :)

There was also a lot of debate about transparent zoning versus constant negotiation. I was very surprised to openly hear that negotiation, not zoning, is the method utilized by the BRA to determine what projects are built and what projects are not.

This a fairly recent development, say the last six months or so. (Openly talking about it, not the practice. The practice itself has been going on since the disco era.)

Yeah, I shouldn't have gone there ... I was happy with what I said, until then.

Krier ended up not even being part of the conversation; he was drawing little boxes on a piece of paper for most of it, from what I could tell.

Back